Cadillac's sales figures bomb!

TStag

Just read this on Autocar's website: http://www.autocarmag.com/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/225521/

Sales of the Cadillac BLS have really bombed in Europe I heard the other day that they only sell 20-30 a month in Europe. Even dead car companies are out selling them! The sad thing is the BLS is a good car. It's based on a Saab and drives and feels like a car that Europeans should be happy with. However it's tanked for two key reasons IMHO. Firstly there is no meaningfull distribution network in place. Secondly not many people in Europe want to gamble on premium cars with an American brand and American styling. Most of the car looks great, the real problem is the grill. I know that sounds daft, but if they had been more conservative with it at the front and just paid for a different grill then this car could be a good seller. Oh and a European brand name would help.

Anyway I think there's a lesson here for Ford. Don't bring Lincoln to Europe or ff they ever bring Lincoln to Europe, tone down the grill, use the Rover or Daimler or Lanchester brand (anything but Lincoln) and distribute in Land Rover dealers or something practical like that....Nothing against Lincoln, but Premium and non European is a hard sell over here.

Why would Ford want to start yet another badge name, They already own Volvo and Jag. I dont see a point in resurecting Rover.

Exactly, Ford has plenty of luxury vehicles for Europe with Volvo, Jag, and LR. Not only do they have no need to resurrect Rover (which I don't think they were intending to) but they also have no need to try and bring Lincoln over to Europe. At least they shouldn't try to bring Lincoln over, especially considering how it barely resonates with American consumers these days.

Just read this on Autocar's website: http://www.autocarmag.com/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/225521/

Anyway I think there's a lesson here for Ford. Don't bring Lincoln to Europe or ff they ever bring Lincoln to Europe, tone down the grill, use the Rover or Daimler or Lanchester brand (anything but Lincoln) and distribute in Land Rover dealers or something practical like that....Nothing against Lincoln, but Premium and non European is a hard sell over here.

Ford isn't looking at bring Lincoln over to Europe anytime soon. Ford has the luxury market pretty much cover over there with Jaguar/Daimler, LR, and Volvo. Rover isn't a luxury make, and Lanchester hasn't been around for a long time that anybody would remember them.

Exactly, Ford has plenty of luxury vehicles for Europe with Volvo, Jag, and LR. Not only do they have no need to resurrect Rover (which I don't think they were intending to) but they also have no need to try and bring Lincoln over to Europe. At least they shouldn't try to bring Lincoln over, especially considering how it barely resonates with American consumers these days.

I personally think Ford will either kill off Lincoln or try and bring it to Europe and China within the next 10 years. Lincoln's sales have generally headed one way for the last 30 years and that's down. Buick has only survived by going to China. I see no reason why Lincoln won't be forced into a similar move. All I'm saying is that if an American 'luxury' car make comes to Europe then the best thing the big US 3 can do is disguise it as European. Cadillac will always struggle whilst it goes with the American grills and brand. The thing is Rover was outselling Cadillac 2 years after the firm stopped making cars (actually it outsold several big international brands combined)! It seems even a dead European brand sells better.

If Lincoln did have to come to Europe then it quite simply MUST use the Rover brand, it's the only hope they will have of selling cars. To be truthfull I don't actually see Lincoln's current products as 'premium' by European standards. It's a job to even argue they are much better than Ford Europe's cars. Given this then Rover is a perfect fit.

• 4 weeks later...
I personally think Ford will either kill off Lincoln or try and bring it to Europe and China within the next 10 years. Lincoln's sales have generally headed one way for the last 30 years and that's down.

Buick has only survived by going to China. I see no reason why Lincoln won't be forced into a similar move. All I'm saying is that if an American 'luxury' car make comes to Europe then the best thing the big US 3 can do is disguise it as European. Cadillac will always struggle whilst it goes with the American grills and brand. The thing is Rover was outselling Cadillac 2 years after the firm stopped making cars (actually it outsold several big international brands combined)! It seems even a dead European brand sells better.

If Lincoln did have to come to Europe then it quite simply MUST use the Rover brand, it's the only hope they will have of selling cars. To be truthfull I don't actually see Lincoln's current products as 'premium' by European standards. It's a job to even argue they are much better than Ford Europe's cars. Given this then Rover is a perfect fit.

WRONG - Lincoln was the best selling luxury brand as recently as 10 years ago. In the 70's, 80's and 90's Lincoln's sales were solid. The new MKZ seems to be proof that the tide is turning. Town Car sales have falled off due to a horrid, outdated design but the Town Car isn't the whole brand.

Wrong again - Buick has to have a solid base in the U.S. to survive. This brand has one of the highest loyalty percentages in the States and for a reason. Buick builds solid, dependable cars and has a reputation as such. Cadillac is struggling against BMW and Mercedes Benz because they've essentially re-created the Cimmarron in this BLS. This Anti-American nonsense is typical though. Do me a favor - get past the politics of hating the U.S. because of the President and give our products a fair chance. They're built by honest, hard working people and to be condescendingly trashed, along with the heritage these cars have is insulting. By the way, if Rover was so great, why is it dead? Why did they never sell in volume in the States? Contrary to what the arrogant Europeans think, the U.S. does NOT need Europe to survive, nor do we care what Europe thinks of us, our cars or our heritage.

And what is a "premium" European Car exactly? A Bimmer or a Mercedes with an interior about as comfortable as a jail cell? To me, a premium car is a Rolls Royce Phantom or a Maybach, neither of which are terribly profitable due to low consumer numbers. As for BMW and Mercedes? I've driven a 7-Series (pathetic) that belonged to my boss, and am little more impressed by the S-Class he brought in. Give me a new Cadillac DTS over either of these tragic European cars. Of course we're seeing European "superiority" in the monumental belly flop of the Airbus Company on the wings of the A380 (and Europe talks about OUR thirst for petrol?!)

Edited by KinneticBrian