Ford Bold Moves or Desperate Moves?

StanM

I've been looking at dealer inventories of new Rangers the past few months and have found that the vast majority are bare bones XL 2wd models, not to mention not too many in stock. My local dealer happens to be the largest in Missouri and has forty some Rangers in stock, but as I mentioned, most are bare bones and all are 2wd. With truck sales lagging in general, especially Ford's F series, it would seem that Ford has again sacrificed the Ranger to help push people into F series trucks. Just last year, it was no problem finding well equipped Ranger XLT and FX models but they've been in short supply this year. Anyone else notice this?

I've been looking at dealer inventories of new Rangers the past few months and have found that the vast majority are bare bones XL 2wd models, not to mention not too many in stock. My local dealer happens to be the largest in Missouri and has forty some Rangers in stock, but as I mentioned, most are bare bones and all are 2wd. With truck sales lagging in general, especially Ford's F series, it would seem that Ford has again sacrificed the Ranger to help push people into F series trucks. Just last year, it was no problem finding well equipped Ranger XLT and FX models but they've been in short supply this year. Anyone else notice this?

How is that Ford's fault? They build whatever the dealers order, not the other way around. Your dealer must feel that he can only sell the XLs.

How is that Ford's fault? They build whatever the dealers order, not the other way around. Your dealer must feel that he can only sell the XLs.

Have the dealer order for you exactly what you want...they can do that, you know (of course they will try to get you to buy what's on the lot, but don't do it!). After you order up the truck, THEN tell the goofs that you are an A-Plan customer! They love A-Plan customers! B)

It's not just my dealer that only stocks XL models but I checked quite a few dealer's inventory, including some larger dealers out of state and found the same thing. I could see if only a few dealers stocked heavy on the XL but there are very few XLT or FX4 at any of the dealers I checked, so it doesn't appear to be just my dealer. If I were to guess, I'd say Ford is pushing dealers to sell F150 models so that Ford can hang onto their claim of it being the best selling truck. As it looks now, I may wait until I see what Ford does with the Ranger, and hopefully it will be available with a decent diesel before I trade my F150 in.

It's not just my dealer that only stocks XL models but I checked quite a few dealer's inventory, including some larger dealers out of state and found the same thing. I could see if only a few dealers stocked heavy on the XL but there are very few XLT or FX4 at any of the dealers I checked, so it doesn't appear to be just my dealer. If I were to guess, I'd say Ford is pushing dealers to sell F150 models so that Ford can hang onto their claim of it being the best selling truck. As it looks now, I may wait until I see what Ford does with the Ranger, and hopefully it will be available with a decent diesel before I trade my F150

I don't think its any conspiracy to get people to buy F-150 when fuel prices are spiking most ever. Dealers IMO will not stock model line in great numbers unless they can get rid of them rather quickly. I notice at Ford dealers around me that almost all Explorers in stock are V6 with no V8 in sight. That tells me no one is buying V8, or at least not many. Not many Ford dealers are stocking many Rangers at all around me. Looks like most being sold are fleet sales, not retail sales. I don't think it would be big deal though to go up to dealer, have them check out their inventory on computer, and find your Ranger model or V8 Explorer and have it at dealer in matter of days. I live in Metro Detroit in Ford country, and most of dealers around me just don't stock as many vehicles as they used to. That is to be expected with MI economy and state of Domestic auto industry. Ford Dealers are having enough problems without hundreds of vehicles on lot with no buyers in sight.

Dealers order the trim levels they think they can sell. Period. Ford can't force the dealers to order what they want them to buy.

At our dealership we get all 4wd with nice trim levels but we can't get enough of them. Our allocation is low so about half the time we have one or none on the lot. With the competitive Ranger prices and high fuel prices in Canada they are very popular. We would love to be able to get more.