T-bird Turbo Coupe story

I have been reading the on going auto-biography of Paul Niedermeyer over at TTAC. I thought some people here would like it this weeks story. I still remember the first time I saw a new 1983 T-Bird, I wanted one BAD! IMHO this car was the start of the strong run Ford had going in the 80's-90's.

Man, how things have changed.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3918

I had the same car ('83) in white with a 5 speed. One of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned. He was right, once the turbo kicked in, it was an incredible feeling.

Sadly, it met the met the bumper of a stupid college kid who blew a red light and broadsided me in a snow storm in Lansing many years ago. I miss that car. It was perfect. I replaced it with a Black 1997 T-Bird 3.8L LX. It was not the same....though the '97 was great car as well.

• 1 month later...
Old Tbirds rock... And 1983-88 was a great generation...

The press panned them, but the Fox Body chassis was the start of great things at Ford. Probably the most flexible chassis they ever built, as it was the basis for many models. Without the Fox, the T-Bird Turbo would not have happened.

The press panned them, but the Fox Body chassis was the start of great things at Ford. Probably the most flexible chassis they ever built, as it was the basis for many models. Without the Fox, the T-Bird Turbo would not have happened.

I had an 87 Turbo Coupe. Motor Trend's Car of the Year. I sold it to my neice after I had run up 250,000 miles on it. It was quick for it's time, but terribly slow by today's standards.