Next Gen Ecape Hybrid?

atlpirate1

guess test driving them maybe once a month must leave me with a heavy foot :( i cannot get past 20mph in EV mode

Hi Tim

The best way to drive in EV is to start above the top EV speed which we know for the '05 - '08 models is 40mph, and find the speed you can hold in "D". You can do this by accelerating to ~43mph, shift to "L" and let off the accelerator. The FEH will go EV at ~40mph, but you need to shift back to "D" or "N" to glide down to a speed you can maintain in "D" without a restart of the engine. On a new FEH, you should be able to maintain 25-30mph with no problem. If you don't need to go to 40mph, you can go EV at just about any speed by shifting to "L" and letting off the accelerator.

The '09 FEH has a new Maximum EV speed, so instead of going EV at the maximum of 40mph, I think you should be able to do the same as above at 52mph to go EV. When you get the new '09 FEH, take it up to 54mph and shift to "L" and let off the accelerator to go EV at 52mph. Glide down to a speed you can hold which should be around 40mph in a new FEH with the improvements. Ford is saying the '09 FEH will go EV much easier, so you may not even have to shift to "L", just let off the accelerator in "D" to go EV. Toyota has gone to a system like this already.

Many of us can go from 0-35mph in EV from a stop in the older models after there broke-in. I'm hoping to go 0-45 in EV in the new '09 FEH after break-in.

I'll be happy to get up to 20 mph, ordered mine on 5-13-08 and at this point it looks as though I will not get it until October or November, whats up with that, not building them until October ?

Please tell me its a bad rumor ?

I believe the production line for the escape/mariner does not open until around June 23. Depending upon how your order is slotted in the production cycle and how they are handling fleet orders (like NYC taxis) it is fairly easy to see how your vehicle could be looking at a later delivery date. It also matters if you are talking about a hybrid because I believe these are built on the same line with the regular models so that further slows your timeline. I ordered mine the first week in May and I am expecting an August/September delivery.

Thanks for reply Green Lantern, yes, it is a Hybrid.

Everything I have read out of Detroit newspapers is that they launced on 5-15-08, but will not release 2009's to the dealers until late July, I would assume to clear out 2008's.

I grabbed a printout somewhere off this site that shows Hybrids in a protected status and not to even get scheduled until September, with build start-up in October, if you have a VIN then that dispells that , and thats a good thing.

Everything I have read out of Detroit newspapers is that they launced on 5-15-08, but will not release 2009's to the dealers until late July, I would assume to clear out 2008's.

I grabbed a printout somewhere off this site that shows Hybrids in a protected status and not to even get scheduled until September, with build start-up in October, if you have a VIN then that dispells that , and thats a good thing.

Well, at least ONE '09 Escape Hybrid has to have been built already. Detroit News just test drove one. Pretty good review, BTW.

I believe the 5-15 date was the date that Ford was beginning scheduling of the production slots.

I believe the 5-15 date was the date that Ford was beginning scheduling of the production slots.

I would say you are correct, the one driven by detroit news and reviewed was probably a launch,pre-production model, as they were most likely building a few per day for the past 4 months. Not hard to incorporate a "buck-build" into the system when the only changes are like what the 2008 to 2009 is going thru.

Green Lantern is yours on order a Hybrid also ? If so, my order is only one week behind you, I ordered a FEH FWD Limited with additional side steps, no Nav, could not justify another 2300 simply to better monitor the drivetrain system, the aftermarket GPS stuff blows away factory for about 300-500 bucks max anyway.

Edited by scottfisher

Green Lantern is yours on order a Hybrid also ? If so, my order is only one week behind you, I ordered a FEH FWD Limited with additional side steps, no Nav, could not justify another 2300 simply to better monitor the drivetrain system, the aftermarket GPS stuff blows away factory for about 300-500 bucks max anyway.

Yep....ordered the Hybrid limited with Nav. The only thing I did not get is the side steps. I agree aftermarket stuff is generally nicer but I liked the integration with hybrid monitors, sync and the vehicle itself. But, as they say, different strokes for different folks and that is the beauty of options. :)

I believe the production line for the escape/mariner does not open until around June 23. Depending upon how your order is slotted in the production cycle and how they are handling fleet orders (like NYC taxis) it is fairly easy to see how your vehicle could be looking at a later delivery date. It also matters if you are talking about a hybrid because I believe these are built on the same line with the regular models so that further slows your timeline. I ordered mine the first week in May and I am expecting an August/September delivery.

Anything thats leads you to expect a August / September delivery ?

If so, hopefully mine will be the same timeframe.

Did not mean to possibly offend about Nav system, just myself personally have had better experiances with aftermarket.

Recently found that my aftermarket 2001 year Garmin is more advanced than my factory 2006 system in current car.

I like not having to adhere to alot of the safety compliance issue that factory imposes, and I like using remotes for the GPS as opposed to touch-screen or other entry methods. Lets me focus better on driving, once you learn the remote keys it just takes quick glances to operate, just my preference.

Edited by scottfisher

Anything thats leads you to expect a August / September delivery ?

If so, hopefully mine will be the same timeframe.

Did not mean to possibly offend about Nav system, just myself personally have had better experiances with aftermarket.

Recently found that my aftermarket 2001 year Garmin is more advanced than my factory 2006 system in current car.

I like not having to adhere to alot of the safety compliance issue that factory imposes, and I like using remotes for the GPS as opposed to touch-screen or other entry methods. Lets me focus better on driving, once you learn the remote keys it just takes quick glances to operate, just my preference.

LOL...no offense taken man. I was just pointing out my views. I believe that older dealer units were far inferior to after market ones. I also still think the after market is better but I think the gap has narrowed. I just like the integration with the interior but that is just me. You have to go with what you like and will be happy with. My timeline is from my dealer. This is where he is pointing me based upon how few hybrids are being allocated to my region and my order being one of those allocated. Would love for it to come in sooner but will not be holding my breath.

Thanks for reply Green Lantern, I'll be happy if mine comes in the August to September range, I am in Toledo Ohio, and ordered on May 13th.

My dealer, as of last week, has ordered 4 specific for customers, a Mariner was a couple days before me, and there was 2 ordered last week, about 2 weeks after mine.

I have no knowledge of how many are alloted per region, but I would assume we fall into the Detriot Metro region, or what can be referred to as Great Lakes region.

What worries me is that printout showing they are not even scheduling them until September, with build for Hybrids starting in October, that sets in stone a November delivery at earliest. :beatdeadhorse:

Thanks for reply Green Lantern, I'll be happy if mine comes in the August to September range, I am in Toledo Ohio, and ordered on May 13th.

My dealer, as of last week, has ordered 4 specific for customers, a Mariner was a couple days before me, and there was 2 ordered last week, about 2 weeks after mine.

I have no knowledge of how many are alloted per region, but I would assume we fall into the Detriot Metro region, or what can be referred to as Great Lakes region.

What worries me is that printout showing they are not even scheduling them until September, with build for Hybrids starting in October, that sets in stone a November delivery at earliest. :beatdeadhorse:

Well I am in Louisville, KY and we are in the same region as Cincy. There were only something like 13 or 14 allotted for this region I was told (of course, who really knows). I know that mine was one of, if not the first in our region so my fingers are crossed. Good luck to you too man.

I am in Phoenix and ordered an Escape Limited Hybrid 2wd on May 12th I already have a vin # and a production date for the week of July 7th 2008. It has all the major options on it

Hope this helps

Sounds great MRCH, our vehicles are identical, and our order dates are within a day of each other, so , maybe they are filling orders based on regional delivery.

I work in an auto factory, and I know they need to have a product mix between base units and decked out one's, so they will not necessarily build like units one after the next .

If nothing but 4wd limited hybrids with nav comes at the workers they cannot keep up at 50 seconds per vehicle. The base unit 2WD 4 cylinder provides the necessary breaks in between limited hybrids to catch up.

A worker may only spend 40 seconds performing his task on a base unit but many times needs more than the alloted 50 seconds to pull off a limited hybrid. At the end of the day you hope it all equals out.

I may call my dealer towards the end of the week for an update.

You know Hypermiling has more than hit the streets when a new car review talks about the P&G technique. Here is yet another article on the new '09 FEH/MMH's EV speed.

"The ride

Ease into the driver’s seat covered with eco-fabric (made from 100 percent recycled material), turn the key and enjoy the silence. This is the beauty of the hybrid. And for 2009, this silence from the electric motor is possible up to a speed of 40 mph – up from 30 mph for 2008 models – before the gas engine kicks in. And when it does, you’ll barely notice it. Recalibration of the powertrain's software provides a near imperceptible transition between gas engine and electric motor. However, driving without triggering the gas engine takes some practice and a bit of geographic luck (few hills, no jack rabbit starts, and a battery with at least a 75 percent charge).

During our test drive, we were easily able to get up to 30 mph in electric mode before triggering the gas engine. It’s important to mention that the 2009 Escape Hybrid’s ability to operate in electric mode in speeds up to 40 mph doesn’t mean that it always will. It just means that if you have enough battery charge and are under the right conditions, the gas engine might turn off and operate with the energy stored in the battery.

But this change has another benefit: it makes the Escape a prime candidate for the Pulse and Glide driving technique. When this compact SUV hits the streets in August, hyper milers will be blogging up a storm bragging about their insanely high MPG records."

http://www.autousa.com/content/2009-ford-escape-hybrid.jsp

Somebody Stop Me!

After speaking to my dealer today they said that Ford is having trouble with battery supplies. Also, the State of California has ordered 5,000 hybrids and is producing them first before going on to retail sales. They said they would get back to me on a firmed up date for production on my specific vehicle. I’ve seen some people have received a VIN and a production date already, anyone heard anything like this or different?

• 3 weeks later...
Also, the State of California has ordered 5,000 hybrids and is producing them first before going on to retail sales.

Seems like we need a class-action lawsuit against the State of California for cutting the line. :soapbox:

After speaking to my dealer today they said that Ford is having trouble with battery supplies. Also, the State of California has ordered 5,000 hybrids and is producing them first before going on to retail sales. They said they would get back to me on a firmed up date for production on my specific vehicle. I’ve seen some people have received a VIN and a production date already, anyone heard anything like this or different?

I am not sure the info from your dealer is completely accurate there. I don't believe dealerships have as accurate information as the production line. I have seen data that shows individual builds in effect which, if the dealer info given to you was true, would mean that either Cali orders are done already. Otherwise it sounds like it could be stall tactics on not wanting to lose you as a customer but could be used in an effort to sway you to another vehicle which is in stock. That is just my opinion though so that along with two cents will give you about two cents.