Next Gen Ecape Hybrid?

atlpirate1

the new redesigned 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid looks great inside and out, but i heard that the hybrid drive system is still the "original" version.

i am wondering when or if there will be a NEXT-Gen or Version II Hybrid drive system (i.e. like the Toyota Pruis II).

???

The next generation of Ford hybrid might be a ways off (I'd guess financial reasons,) unless you look towards the Fusion hybrid. Ford did recently release some Fleet E85 Escapes though: E85 Escape Fleet Hybrid

The 08 drivetrain and specs may be the same but there are some software improvements that make the system a little smoother and get a few more mpg (if you compare 07 test data.)

The Toyota and Ford systems are similar in that they are both "full" hybrids, but the Ford system was totally built from scratch (might explain why it was delayed for as long as it was.)

Edited by leoart

The next generation of Ford hybrid might be a ways off (I'd guess financial reasons,) unless you look towards the Fusion hybrid. Ford did recently release some Fleet E85 Escapes though: E85 Escape Fleet Hybrid

The 08 drivetrain and specs may be the same but there are some software improvements that make the system a little smoother and get a few more mpg (if you compare 07 test data.)

The Toyota and Ford systems are similar in that they are both "full" hybrids, but the Ford system was totally built from scratch (might explain why it was delayed for as long as it was.)

hhmm, ok.

i referenced the toyota prius only because first there was the prius and now there is the prius II with a supposedly "version 2" or "improved" hybrid drive system.

i just want to know if there will be a "version II" or "much improved" hybrid drive system for the Escape Hybrid anytime soon. more than just software improvements.....i.e. better-smaller batteries? better more efficient energy regen braking? higher mph limit for the electric mode? etc...

thanks for any info.

i just want to know if there will be a "version II" or "much improved" hybrid drive system for the Escape Hybrid anytime soon. more than just software improvements.....i.e. better-smaller batteries? better more efficient energy regen braking? higher mph limit for the electric mode? etc...

New system in the Escape? In the current platform? unlikely - the Fusion Hybrid will be Ford's "next generation" system and is supposed to be adaptable to more vehicles. When the Escape gets shifted to a new platform it may see some version of this next gen system.

New system in the Escape? In the current platform? unlikely - the Fusion Hybrid will be Ford's "next generation" system and is supposed to be adaptable to more vehicles. When the Escape gets shifted to a new platform it may see some version of this next gen system.

In addition the biggest supposed benefit is that it is much less expensive to manufacture and Ford will be developing their own transmission.

• 10 months later...
hhmm, ok.

i referenced the toyota prius only because first there was the prius and now there is the prius II with a supposedly "version 2" or "improved" hybrid drive system.

thanks for any info.

Escape Hybrid Generation II arrives with the 2009 model. See elsewhere for details. These changes will be shared with the Fusion Hybrid.

Generation III Hybrid system arrives with the 2010 EDGE and Lincoln V6 hybrids.

Escape Hybrid Generation II arrives with the 2009 model. See elsewhere for details. These changes will be shared with the Fusion Hybrid.

Is what that's in the 2009, really a "Generation II"???

Yea, the ICE is changing, but that's mostly due to the gas-only 4 cyl also changing for 2009.

From everything concrete, there doesn't appear to be any new changes in any of the hybrid hardware for 2009. Yea, there was some speculation (guessing) that the battery pack will change to same lower voltage one used by the Fusion, but the 2009 Ordering Guide documents it isn't.

Yea, the ICE is changing, but that's mostly due to the gas-only 4 cyl also changing for 2009.

From everything concrete, there doesn't appear to be any new changes in any of the hybrid hardware for 2009. Yea, there was some speculation (guessing) that the battery pack will change to same lower voltage one used by the Fusion, but the 2009 Ordering Guide documents it isn't.

The Gen II change had to do with packaging so that it would fit in a standard engine bay. That's why the Fusion had to wait for Gen II.

It's still up in the air as far as we know if Ford updated the FEH eCVT to the next generation Variable Voltage Converter (VVC). This could increase EV speed and distance and the newly developed transaxle fluid is said to allow higher motor RPM. The VVC is said to reduce heat and eliminate the need for the HV battery A/C. My understanding is this new 2nd generation eCVT will also reduce cost of the HV battery, but like you said, the FEH still shows the 330V battery in the Ordering Guide. The elimination of the Aux battery A/C would reduce cost and keeping the 330V with the VVC would be a great package outside the plug-in Lithium battery package now being tested.

The second generation Prius in fact changed to a VVC, but Toyota called it a Buck-Boost Converter.

Ford is not making a big deal of the next generation Navigational System coming out in the '09 FEH that one would have to read closely to know about. This new Voice Activated Nav Sys together with Sync and SIRIUS is a big deal if you ask me. Micosoft has been working with Ford on this new system and the marketing seems like the release of one of their systems like the X Box 360. Remember, Ford hasn't released any kind of EPA estimates for the '09 FEH/MMH, and we already have placed orders for them. My bet is the '09 FEH/MMH will have major changes and that information will be released in a week or so. Those of us that have our names on a order sheet into Ford will be glad they did if this happens. I'll still be very happy with the concrete changes we know about now.

Remember, Ford hasn't released any kind of EPA estimates for the '09 FEH/MMH, and we already have placed orders for them.

Well, Ford has said that even though the change in engine will result in a slightly improved MPG for the gas-only, they did go out of their way to add that there would be no MPG change for the hybrid.

Well, Ford has said that even though the change in engine will result in a slightly improved MPG for the gas-only, they did go out of their way to add that there would be no MPG change for the hybrid.

Interesting Walt, I didn't see that comment, do you have a link?

Here is where I see the possibility of improved MPG:

"Speaking at the 2008 SAE Hybrid Vehicle Technology Symposium in San Diego yesterday, Sherif Markaby, Global Core Engineer for hybrids at Ford Motor Company, provided some technical details of the coming 2009 Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan hybrids, due at the end of the year, as well as of the 2009 Escape and Mariner hybrids, which are scheduled to be released in a few months.

All four hybrids will share a new powertrain that combines a 2.5L inline four-cylinder engine with a series-parallel transaxle. While the basic layout and packaging of the powertrain and related components remains for the most part unchanged from the 2005-2008 Escape component architecture, many of those components have been redesigned for improved efficiency."

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/02/ford-previews-n.html

Everything I read in this article says the '09 FEH/MMH was redesigned for improved efficiency. Does anyone see any changes that would not improve MPG?

:idea: I'm curious, will Ford argue that the '09s new standard rear drum brakes will increase efficiency?

I'm sure the rear drum brake addition will not increase efficiency, and may add a little more drag. Myself, I'm not that concerned because I always use "L" for regen before I use the brake pedal. Once the brake shoes are broke-in, the drag should be reduced a little more.

I conducted many coasting test from 40mph to a dead stop in Neutral and Drive and recorded the results in a thread at Greenhybrid.com. My '05 FEH coasted 36-38% further in neutral with the engine off. The FEH still has regen when you let off the gas pedal in "D" without using the brakes. I only coast in "N" which eliminates all regen for a much longer coast, engine off or on. I'll be able to tell just how much if any drag the rear drums cause compared to my '05. Wind drag is reduced on the '09 FEH/MMH, so that may offset any brake drum drag also.

Interesting Walt, I didn't see that comment, do you have a link?

Here is where I see the possibility of improved MPG:

"Speaking at the 2008 SAE Hybrid Vehicle Technology Symposium in San Diego yesterday, Sherif Markaby, Global Core Engineer for hybrids at Ford Motor Company, provided some technical details of the coming 2009 Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan hybrids, due at the end of the year, as well as of the 2009 Escape and Mariner hybrids, which are scheduled to be released in a few months.

All four hybrids will share a new powertrain that combines a 2.5L inline four-cylinder engine with a series-parallel transaxle. While the basic layout and packaging of the powertrain and related components remains for the most part unchanged from the 2005-2008 Escape component architecture, many of those components have been redesigned for improved efficiency."

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/02/ford-previews-n.html

Everything I read in this article says the '09 FEH/MMH was redesigned for improved efficiency. Does anyone see any changes that would not improve MPG?

I was assuming the 1 mpg improvement on the non-hybrid would be the same for the FEH but there is no specific mention of it (for the FEH) in this Ford press release posted today at Ford.com. We will have to wait and see.....

2009 FORD ESCAPE, MERCURY MARINER MORE FUN TO DRIVE