New Taurus

Grey Goose

I saw the new Taurus at a dealership the other day and I have to admit it looks like a winner. The car was gorgeous, tons of extras, beautiful inside and out and though it was loaded the best news was it was stcker priced at 25 grand.

Obviously Ford should have done this in the first place but if it can get some positive press Ford could have a real winner on its hands especially since they seem to have priced it realistically instead of their usual practice of wanting 35- 40 grand for everything they build.

Great work to everyone involved and a tip of the hat to Mr 40 million dollar man Mullally.

Just this hillbillies opinion though.....

Well, let's put it this way:

The new Taurus is really the Five Hundred with a restored name and image.

Sooooo true and now you have to convince the public masses that its not: good luck!!!!! Still just a boring 500 inside and out!!! The real reason the car was renamed is Ford promised not to dump 500/Freestyles into fleetsales when the Tauras was gone. But I'd bet because sales are not there for the 500/Freestyle the refresh was a good time to change the name and now this will allow them to dump them in to fleetsales. Ford stated that they didn't want to dump the 500/Freestyle in to fleet because it brings down the residual and they wanted to keep the residual high which we all know didn't happen. I know you'll all blast me back but just ask anyone not tied to Ford and between the ages of 20-40 what they think of the new look and you'll get a good laugh. Personal I hope the car does sell like a fast burning wild fire, I have many friends that still work for Ford and depend on Ford. I just want to see a car that really turns head when it goes down the road and this really doesn't do it.

I wish they would have done more changes to the sheetmetal for the Taurus and Taurus X. I don't think it has changed enough.

Hopefully marketing can overcome it. I have a Freestyle and it drives great!

That is one thing everyone has that is positive about the 500/freestyle is that they drive and ride GREAT. You have to have some way to get the public into the dealerships then into the car that is the hard part!!

Sooooo true and now you have to convince the public masses that its not: good luck!!!!! Still just a boring 500 inside and out!!! The real reason the car was renamed is Ford promised not to dump 500/Freestyles into fleetsales when the Tauras was gone. But I'd bet because sales are not there for the 500/Freestyle the refresh was a good time to change the name and now this will allow them to dump them in to fleetsales. Ford stated that they didn't want to dump the 500/Freestyle in to fleet because it brings down the residual and they wanted to keep the residual high which we all know didn't happen. I know you'll all blast me back but just ask anyone not tied to Ford and between the ages of 20-40 what they think of the new look and you'll get a good laugh. Personal I hope the car does sell like a fast burning wild fire, I have many friends that still work for Ford and depend on Ford. I just want to see a car that really turns head when it goes down the road and this really doesn't do it.

Not going to blast you at all dude. Your opinion certainly counts. I would just say that not every car appeals to every person. Certainly not everyone who walks onto a Toyota lot loves a Camry nor do they buy one. That said Ford badly needs something that is not a niche vehicle, for example a $40,000 Mustang GT,, or a $40,000 Thunderbird remake.

While I think its kinda stupid to "rename" a car and think You've "fixed" it so to speak, so too was it stupid to abandon the Taurus nameplate and its recognition factor. Is it still a boring looking car? Maybe maybe not. Then again nothing is so boring as a Camry sitting in a driveway either and nothing was uglier than the original Taurus but Ford was able to sell a shitload of them.

The real factor involved here was the costs incurred in developing a new vehicle, costs that didn't have to be if Ford had only tweeked the original Taurus to begin with

Bottom line though, Ford needed a basic nameplate car to sell at a reasonable cost, and simply put the 500 was not going to be it. Now that was and still is an ugly car and way way to overpriced.

John Q Customer probably doesn't know the history of the vehicle, he simply needs a family sedan at a reasonable cost to cart his asshole inbred kids around in and I really think this might do it for Ford. Would a 20 something buy it? No of course not, he'll let his dad cosign for a new Mustang. But when that 20 something knocks up his girlfriend to the tune of three kids then he needs a basic family sedan. Enter the Taurus at a very reasonable cost. Bingo you're in the car business again and after all that's where Ford is trying to get again, selling cars and not gas guzzling trucks and SUV's.

All I'm saying is that is its a start and in my opinion at least now we're on the right track in my book because really dude the new Taurus is a pretty good looking car period. Not for everyone, neither was the original, but something that should be a viable vehicle for years to come assuming there are years to come for Ford that is.

Regarding AAP, as Bill Clinton said man "I feel your pain" cause I work in Cleveland and we just lost the Casting Plant with both of our engine plants in jeopardy so I certainly know where you're coming from and thats another post for sure. AAP's shuttering never should have happened but again thats another post.

Just this hillbillies opinion

Well, let's put it this way:

The new Taurus is really the Five Hundred with a restored name and image.

Yeah thats basically true except for some very important changes. First the sheet metal has been tweeked, still not for me but MUCH better than the abortion formerly known as "The 500"

Second and I think most importantly, its priced much more realistically. Lots of bang for the buck. Now its up to the neanderthals in management to get the word out and let the buying public know about it in a big way.

We all seem to forget this but , Ford really can do it right in a big way when it comes to selling cars and grabbing the market when all the stars align,, the Mustang, The Taurus, The Explorer, The F Series. Clearly they've done it before and when their backs were against the wall as well.

I just hope there's still time.

Just this hillbillies opinion

Oh wow some people here are retarded. How the hell can someone mistake this, this Toyota-like boring, underpowered, hunk of car...

2005FordFiveHundred.jpg

For this?

2008FordTaurus.jpg

I am fully confident that the 2008 Ford Taurus will sell more, and be more popular, then the previous Ford Five Hundred. Even if it is not going to be as successful as the Ford Taurus of a previous era, it is going to be an improvement over the Five Hundred. Its got an all-new engine, entirely new interior and exterior, its got new options, colors, features, technology, platform, basically everything on it is new and improved.

Oh wow some people here are retarded. How the hell can someone mistake this, this Toyota-like boring, underpowered, hunk of car...

2005FordFiveHundred.jpg

For this?

2008FordTaurus.jpg

I am fully confident that the 2008 Ford Taurus will sell more, and be more popular, then the previous Ford Five Hundred. Even if it is not going to be as successful as the Ford Taurus of a previous era, it is going to be an improvement over the Five Hundred. Its got an all-new engine, entirely new interior and exterior, its got new options, colors, features, technology, platform, basically everything on it is new and improved.

While I agree the new Taurus will probably sell a bit better than the 500, the exterior sheet metal hasn't been tweaked enough (for me, anyway) to tell it apart from the 500. Personally, I think Ford should have taken more styling cues from the Edge and Fusion.

I think this is gonna be a tough battle for Ford, as this year's Camry finally has some styling to it....plain and boring just ain't gonna cut it with the consumer much longer.

Then go buy one .

While I agree the new Taurus will probably sell a bit better than the 500, the exterior sheet metal hasn't been tweaked enough (for me, anyway) to tell it apart from the 500.

What do you mean its not tweaked enough??? The Taurus has got a fender vent now!!! COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!! :hysterical:

Edited by Meelaan

Here's a good one for all the Employees at Chicago Assembly that build the New Taurus, was out today taking my son to get his hair cut at a local barbershop that we go to. One customer came in and from what I could hear of the conversation he is a big Mercedes and VW fan as well as the owners son that works at the shop. Anyways the conversation turned to the new Tuarus and the customer was talking very highly about the car, saying that the fit and finish was as good as if not better then VW or Mercedes.

So congrates to all my fellow UAW employees at Chicago for turning the heads of Mercedes and VW owners.

I think the new Taurus will sell just fine, much better than the 500 as most everyone knows the Taurus name. It addresses a segment that Ford needs to hold on to and new future product will begin to capture the next generation Ford buyers.

I think the car needs to be looked at for what it is, a major improvement over the 500 and in 2-3 years, you'll probably see a sheet metal overhaul for it. Will it ever be a 20 something's car? No, but hopefully the Interceptor and other future product will impress that age group. It'd be nice to have another hit for the younger adults to go along with the Mustang.

What do you mean its not tweaked enough??? The Taurus has got a fender vent now!!! COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!! :hysterical:

Well Meelaan ole buddy. Thats exactly my point. The problem sheet metal wise on the 500 was primarily the grill. It just didn't fit the overall car. Just didn't look right. But hell it is afterall just a grill and there's only so much Ford can do with it so while I ain't nuts about it, it sure as hell looks better than the grill on the 500.

I meant to say in an earlier post and someone here just did, the fit and finish and detail on this car for the price was astounding. Anyway, I think it sells WAY better than the 500.

I think the new Taurus will sell just fine, much better than the 500 as most everyone knows the Taurus name. It addresses a segment that Ford needs to hold on to and new future product will begin to capture the next generation Ford buyers.

I think the car needs to be looked at for what it is, a major improvement over the 500 and in 2-3 years, you'll probably see a sheet metal overhaul for it. Will it ever be a 20 something's car? No, but hopefully the Interceptor and other future product will impress that age group. It'd be nice to have another hit for the younger adults to go along with the Mustang.

Touche' Twincam Touche'

Those of you that have followed the FH and know the changes to the new Taurus will most likely agree that it is a big improvement. I for one will be glad to have my family riding in the new Taurus. It can't get here soon enough.
I hope a boatload of people feel the same way you do. I think the changes are ok but not enough to make me buy one. I wish they never would of closed AAP and kept the real taurus going. This new one isn't the real one in my opinion. Anyway...I hope it sells great because we need it.

no comment Former AAP worker......AAP worker here also....nothing but a 500...ford is using the taurus name..the car we built..and made into the number1 selling car for them..to sale a new car..they came out with..that was a big flop..

wasn't the taurus fiirst built at cap??

no comment Former AAP worker......AAP worker here also....nothing but a 500...ford is using the taurus name..the car we built..and made into the number1 selling car for them..to sale a new car..they came out with..that was a big flop..

Easy Guitarzan, we dont want to offend anyone here, they still work for Ford and we dont. But we do have our opinion. To us its a 500 and it will always be that. Sorry if we make anyone mad at CAP but it is what it is {A FORD 500}.