How long should an order take to show up

2008fordtaurus

I put in an order for a 2008 Taurus in late June and my dealer (who checks each Monday) says that it has not shown up to be serialized or built. Is this unusual for it to take that long?

It is a priority 10.

I am sure that I am annoying the sales guy by calling each week but I sure would like to see it somewhere to track the progress.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

:doh:

In May of 2000, I ordered a Silver V6 Mustang Coupe. It arrived August 18, 2000.

You can estimate three months of waiting and wondering. This means you'll get your car sometime in September.

It's completely not worth it, in my book.

Edited by Meelaan

Reiciept date for my 2008 Taurus was 6/18. It has been 6+ weeks without further progress on our order. Is this more a matter than it is held up by regional, dealer allotment, or factory schedules/issues?

My wife and I really want our Taurus! :banghead:

Did you gently prod the dealer to find out where the hold up was?

Who is holding up the order???

It's a sure sale as I am just waiting with the $$$. From what I read, priority "10" orders are put ahead of stock orders.

I would be less patient if the dealership was filling up with Tauruses (they don't have any yet).

I have never ordered a car before so this is new to me.

I sure would like to find out where the order is held up.

Did you gently prod the dealer to find out where the hold up was?

Who is holding up the order???

It's a sure sale as I am just waiting with the $$$. From what I read, priority "10" orders are put ahead of stock orders.

I would be less patient if the dealership was filling up with Tauruses (they don't have any yet).

I have never ordered a car before so this is new to me.

I sure would like to find out where the order is held up.

Dude... it's not a "hold up." They make probably a quarter of a million of these cars a year. You're waiting in line. Since you ordered a car rather than looking for one within the dealer network, "your car will be processed in the order it was received."

That's how it works... and that's why it sucks. I consistently try to warn people against this action, but whatever...

I was so anxious about my car every day. I called the dealer. I called Ford. Fact is, everyone I know--personally or through reading this forum--has waited around three months before their car showed up.

Just go about your normal life like nothing's happening until around September 15.

Edited by Meelaan

Dude... it's not a "hold up." They make probably a quarter of a million of these cars a year. You're waiting in line. Since you ordered a car rather than looking for one within the dealer network, "your car will be processed in the order it was received."

That's how it works... and that's why it sucks. I consistently try to warn people against this action, but whatever...

I was so anxious about my car every day. I called the dealer. I called Ford. Fact is, everyone I know--personally or through reading this forum--has waited around three months before their car showed up.

Just go about your normal life like nothing's happening until around September 15.

Isn't that a big dose of reality!! I had gambled that I would be able to order one - we a certain color/option combo optioned - before one arrived at a dealer.

Now why can't the dealer be more realistic? I know... I know... they don't wan't to lose a sale.

I will make a mental note - thanks.

Isn't that a big dose of reality!! I had gambled that I would be able to order one - we a certain color/option combo optioned - before one arrived at a dealer.

Now why can't the dealer be more realistic? I know... I know... they don't wan't to lose a sale.

I will make a mental note - thanks.

Hello again 2008fordtaurus ("So, we meet again Batman!")! Meelaan sometimes gets a little grumpy (however, he is still a very good forum member). As we have discussed in the past, I have factory ordered every car I have ever purchased. Perhaps I have had better luck than the average, but only once did I have to wait more than 8 weeks, and that wait I was warned about ahead of time (a 1982 Mustang GT, held up for T-Top option).

In fact, my last car ordered, a 2007 Lincoln MKZ, took 6 weeks from order date to purchase date (purchased 11/21/06).

Ford seems to be ramping up production slowly, perhaps to minimize production defects. For example, I live in NJ, and at the 3 local Ford Dealers in my area I have only seen a total of three 2008 Tauruses (Taurii?). One of the Dealers had none. I do not think there is anything nefarious going on, Ford is just trying to get the new Taurus out with a minimum of production snags (and corresponding defects).

Be patient (I know you are trying), and you will get your car soon. Trust me, you will love it. I drove one last weekend (at my local Dealer) and what amazing improvements in ride, handling and power they have made as compared to the 500 (which was a very nice car itself). You will love the new engine.

Again, be patient my friend! Good luck!

PS - Meelan, I didn't use any smiley icons, just for you! Who's your buddy, who's your pal?!

Edited by bbf2530

If you didn't order an unusual combination of features and colours (here in Canada you can't because there aren't that many options) then it is possible that a car already built or building will match what you requested and it'll be earmarked for you. Then it might arrive much sooner than the 3 month queue-plus-build-plus-ship time.

I put in an order for a 2008 Taurus in late June and my dealer (who checks each Monday) says that it has not shown up to be serialized or built. Is this unusual for it to take that long?

It is a priority 10.

I am sure that I am annoying the sales guy by calling each week but I sure would like to see it somewhere to track the progress.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

:doh:

do you have a VIN?

if yes, then use this section: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showforum=80

and ask for a status.

Igor

I sympathize with you. In June of 1988, my mom placed an order with Jack Demmer Ford in Wayne, Michigan for a 1989 Ford Probe. That was June of 1988. Weeks went by, she kept calling, they said they couldn't get them, they were in such high demand. My mom wrote a letter to Ford management in late 1988, and promptly got a call from Demmer Ford. They didn't apologize, they were angry she wrote to Ford! Anyway, time went on and the car got delivered. In May of 1989! Thats a 10 month order. So delays are nothing new to Ford. Although I sincerely hope your 2008 Taurus gets built quickly!

I sympathize with you. In June of 1988, my mom placed an order with Jack Demmer Ford in Wayne, Michigan for a 1989 Ford Probe. That was June of 1988. Weeks went by, she kept calling, they said they couldn't get them, they were in such high demand. My mom wrote a letter to Ford management in late 1988, and promptly got a call from Demmer Ford. They didn't apologize, they were angry she wrote to Ford! Anyway, time went on and the car got delivered. In May of 1989! Thats a 10 month order. So delays are nothing new to Ford. Although I sincerely hope your 2008 Taurus gets built quickly!

Thank you. Ten months... ouch.

Ford and the dealers have worked out the production scheduleing process and they all understand how it works. Sometimes they don't tell customers that their vehicle may be delayed because:

1. the dealership does not have allocation for this month or even next month.

2. the vehicle you are ordering is medium/high risk

3. options, colors, trim you are ordering are in short supply

4. the plant is scheduled for weeks of down time

5. they have many orders in the "Que" ahead of yours

6. someone came in later than you and they put a higher priority on their vehicle (pushed them ahead of you.

7. etc.

Salespeople don't always get the whole story, so they overpromise or set too high expectations. They tend to blame Ford instead of saying they made an error in projecting a delivery date. I believe it is the salesperson's responsibility to research and ask the questions the customer would not know to ask.

Ford and the dealers have worked out the production scheduleing process and they all understand how it works. Sometimes they don't tell customers that their vehicle may be delayed because:

1. the dealership does not have allocation for this month or even next month.

2. the vehicle you are ordering is medium/high risk

3. options, colors, trim you are ordering are in short supply

4. the plant is scheduled for weeks of down time

5. they have many orders in the "Que" ahead of yours

6. someone came in later than you and they put a higher priority on their vehicle (pushed them ahead of you.

7. etc.

Salespeople don't always get the whole story, so they overpromise or set too high expectations. They tend to blame Ford instead of saying they made an error in projecting a delivery date. I believe it is the salesperson's responsibility to research and ask the questions the customer would not know to ask.

The person that took my order for an X-Plan sale is a sales manager and should know better. I am a first time orderer so I'll admit that I that I have been working on my patience. Other members have been very sympathetic to me being a newbie buyer.

The dealer hasn't received their first Taurus yet so it's not like I am "teased" by the Taurii sitting on the lot.

I called VOPC today and the lady said that "it will be pulled" and to call "concepts" on Friday. What does this mean? Can I call "concepts" (whatever the number is)?

I see so many here in the forums that have a serialized date so soon after the receipt date. I don't see others checking on Taurus order though.

The person that took my order for an X-Plan sale is a sales manager and should know better. I am a first time orderer so I'll admit that I that I have been working on my patience. Other members have been very sympathetic to me being a newbie buyer.

The dealer hasn't received their first Taurus yet so it's not like I am "teased" by the Taurii sitting on the lot.

I called VOPC today and the lady said that "it will be pulled" and to call "concepts" on Friday. What does this mean? Can I call "concepts" (whatever the number is)?

I see so many here in the forums that have a serialized date so soon after the receipt date. I don't see others checking on Taurus order though.

I am beginning to think that it was an allocation issue as I see another Taurus buyer tracking his '08 order and it was serialized the day after the receipt date, for me, nearly 7 weeks and no serialization.

• 1 month later...
Magic 8-ball sez... "you will get your car on September 18."

Hah! Your 8-ball needs adjusting. Celebrate with me as I observe the 14 week mark today.

Dealer didn't return email from last Thursday and so far hasn't returned my call from this morning to check Vehicle Visibility to see exactly where my car is.

I had better service via phone from a sales manager at another dealer that check on my car (he can't see another dealer's car in transit). He was being more helpful even after he knew that he did not have the car optioned as I needed.

I will stop by the dealer in person - again - to have them check where my car is. :banghead::banghead:

I'm kind of worried now. I want to order a 2008 Sable once the SYNC is released but as of the 24th of this month you still have not recieved your car??? That's not good. The reason I want to order my vehicle is because, as I stated previously, I want SYNC on the car and I do not want Sirius already installed on it, and I do not want a sun roof either. Every car that is on the lots within a 100 mile radius of where I live has Sirius. P.S. I know my name says MKZ, but after driving one extensively for a week I decided on a Sable instead, it's a much better vehicle.

Edited by 2008MKZ

I'm kind of worried now. I want to order a 2008 Sable once the SYNC is released but as of the 24th of this month you still have not recieved your car??? That's not good. The reason I want to order my vehicle is because, as I stated previously, I want SYNC on the car and I do not want Sirius already installed on it, and I do not want a sun roof either. Every car that is on the lots within a 100 mile radius of where I live has Sirius. P.S. I know my name says MKZ, but after driving one extensively for a week I decided on a Sable instead, it's a much better vehicle.

I don't think you need to worry as when I ordered last June, production barely had begun. Add to that the fact that my dealer's allocation took three months to come up. I think the size of the dealership may have something to do with it too.

I too, wanted the car exactly optioned. I don't regret ordering one bit. Go ahead and order it!

I don't think you need to worry as when I ordered last June, production barely had begun. Add to that the fact that my dealer's allocation took three months to come up. I think the size of the dealership may have something to do with it too.

I too, wanted the car exactly optioned. I don't regret ordering one bit. Go ahead and order it!

2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD

FINALLY IN THE GARAGE!

Hi 2008fordtaurus. :D Does that addition to your signature mean you finally have your new car? I can't believe after all we have been through together :sos: , you did not immediately let me know! :hysterical:

Congratulations, and best of luck with her! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD

FINALLY IN THE GARAGE!

Hi 2008fordtaurus. :D Does that addition to your signature mean you finally have your new car? I can't believe after all we have been through together :sos: , you did not immediately let me know! :hysterical:

Congratulations, and best of luck with her! :beerchug:

I just PM'd you. Yes it is here indeed. A beautiful car it is and your help along the way is greatly appreciated. :happy feet: :happy feet:

My dealer says that all Sync orders are on hold because Sync was a late availability item, and it will be lifted on October 8th. My Taurus X has been on order since May. The only thing we can do is wait, but I knew that when I placed the order.