Same platform since 1979...

But totally new Floorpan in 1991, and new Frame in 2003.

and same doors from Jan 1992

Front Fenders have been the same (except the antenna hole) 92-07, and Rear doors changed from 97 to 98 didnt they?

Edited by wchain

But totally new Floorpan in 1991, and new Frame in 2003.

Front Fenders have been the same (except the antenna hole) 92-07, and Rear doors changed from 97 to 98 didnt they?

The rear doors didn't change. They were discontinued for the Grand Marquis doors and rear greenhouse that already existed. The entire Crown Vic body switched to Grand Marquis tooling which was modified the rear quarter panels to accept a restyled decklid, new taillamps, rear body panel and rear bumper.

The Grand Marquis more recently went from using it's own front fenders, front end panel and lamps to using the Crown Vic one with a Mercury styled grille.

Uhhh no ,yes,yes and no

I stand corrected then.

I was almost sure the floorpan was different, as I tried to install some 91 leather seats into my 88 Vic many years ago and they did not bolt up, yet I see people putting later 98+ Panther Seats into older cars with no problems....

I just searched here.....A little talk about floorpans....

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthre...=true#Post75268

I stand corrected then.

I was almost sure the floorpan was different, as I tried to install some 91 leather seats into my 88 Vic many years ago and they did not bolt up, yet I see people putting later 98+ Panther Seats into older cars with no problems....

Am surprised the seats didn't fit

Same platform since 1979...

I recently had an opportunity to side by side compare a 98 Grand Marquis LS with a 2007 model.

Quite literally, there is not one common part from the tires up. There may be some interchangeability, but none fo the parts, body panels, etc... are exact matches. The frame ( the critical part ina BOF vehicle ), front to back is entirely different.

What does this tell us? That Ford has in fact invested a lot in this vehicle. And there have been some very significant upgrades. For all that it appears "feature stripped", all the upgrades are such as to make me think Ford is putting more into these cars $$$ wise than they have in the past. The "feature stripped" look appears to be just that... a look... the current fashion :rolleyes: apparently.

The one part of Ford corporate that this car hasn't been seen in is the styling studio. Considering their other recent efforts, thats probably a good thing. :banghead::finger:

I recently had an opportunity to side by side compare a 98 Grand Marquis LS with a 2007 model.

Quite literally, there is not one common part from the tires up. There may be some interchangeability, but none fo the parts, body panels, etc... are exact matches. The frame ( the critical part ina BOF vehicle ), front to back is entirely different.

What does this tell us? That Ford has in fact invested a lot in this vehicle. And there have been some very significant upgrades. For all that it appears "feature stripped", all the upgrades are such as to make me think Ford is putting more into these cars $$$ wise than they have in the past. The "feature stripped" look appears to be just that... a look... the current fashion :rolleyes: apparently.

The one part of Ford corporate that this car hasn't been seen in is the styling studio. Considering their other recent efforts, thats probably a good thing. :banghead::finger:

Of course many of the parts are not exact matches... But most of them have been modified from the original tooling. The result is carry over doors, roof panels, hoods, glass... All of these things make the look of the car generally unchanged een though there have been improvements or changes in many areas. It's like the original Beetle compared to early 70's models... They are not exactly the same and many of the parts will not interchange while some do...

Of course many of the parts are not exact matches... But most of them have been modified from the original tooling.

In fact, even if the sheetmetal looks identical, it isn't. Ford at some point had to change the stamping dies for every piece of sheet metal out there. Thats the hilarious part.

Their confidence in the stylists is so high, they didn't even bring them in to bend the metal different :hysterical: . Can you imagine making that investment and bypassing the easiest step in the process :huh:

I'm sure Ford stylists musta got the memo :reading:

How'd you like your boss to have that little confidence in you?

I stand corrected then.

Yes, I remember that day, still have the pictures. The seats in the 1991 are not the same as the 1988, I know I was there helping Wes trying to install them. I also thought that the 1991 had the same floor bolt plan as the 1992 plus. I swear I saw a post somewhere where someone put late model seats in a 91 box Vic.

Side Note, the grille is faked in some way or a custom job by a private owner, not production. The 2008 Order Guide has no mention of any changes to the body other then a color delete.

Yes, I remember that day, still have the pictures. The seats in the 1991 are not the same as the 1988, I know I was there helping Wes trying to install them. I also thought that the 1991 had the same floor bolt plan as the 1992 plus. I swear I saw a post somewhere where someone put late model seats in a 91 box Vic.

Side Note, the grille is faked in some way or a custom job by a private owner, not production. The 2008 Order Guide has no mention of any changes to the body other then a color delete.

The Floor pans are essentially identical. the bolt hole locations were changed some time int he 92 model year.

My Old 1992 GM is a 01/91 build, it had to be damn near one of the first ones off the line in the new body style. And it has a one piece floor pan like the box panthers. And the has the same bolt hole locations as the earlier cars as I replaced the Seat track assy a few years back on the drivers side with one out of an 89 Vic as the later ones would not fit. (Mine was just worn out) I believe the floor pan was updated, but dimensionally it is the same I guess Ford used what was ever at hand in the late 91's and early 92 CV GM's.

Matthew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...