Toyota unveils 2007 Tundra. Does it have what it takes to beat the F150?

robertlane

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look real close you will see the "tape" goes up to the frame from the axel. Thought you might like that one. So when do you think the cylons will blow up Pegisus?

Frak the Cylons.lol

I am down loading episode 17 right now.

Space is about 11 episodes behind SCI FI in airing BSG

So Guess I will find out in a couple hours lol

Matthew

Will this now begin an all-out horsepower/towing capacity race? Never owned a pick, but they do work and ride well. My brother went from a 1966 Datsun, to an "84 Chevy C-30 and onto a '96 Nissan. My fishing buddy has an F-150 with the in-line six in it. That is a beauty and a cool-looking ride in 2-tone green. Sorry to drool. :shrug:

• 2 months later...

I believe Car and Driver named Ford truck of the year for the 3 year in a row, not sure. Motor Trend will name this truck of the year based on the fact it has the most engineering changes of any model.

I think Toyota has a player in the market now, but it isn't a world beater... or a US beater for that matter.

* Disclaimer: I am not a troll.

Regarding all the guffawing over the Tundra's supposedly flimsy construction - I'm sure many of you have seen the episode of "Top Gear" (shown on the Discovery Channel in the U.S., on BBC in the UK) where they tried to destroy the little diesel powered Toyota Hilux pickup? They drove it through an old Scottish town, running into corners of buildings, and driving it down stone stairways. They chained it to the bottom of a boatramp at low tide on a particularly turbulent Scottish beach. When the tide came in, one of the chains broke, and the thing was flung around on the remaining chain, dashed on the sea-floor for a few hours. When the tide went back out, a mechanic worked on the engine for a couple hours (not replacing any parts - just drying) and the engine started! They hit it with a wrecking ball, they dropped a travel trailer on top of it, they set it on fire - completely gutting the inside. They put it on top of a highrise tower block, which they demolished out from under it with dynamite. And in the end, they were still able to drive it. There's a link to the video on This page.

If Ford can duplicate this feat with any of their trucks, they ought to do it. It was very impressive.

And when I was a teenager, we took a '54 Ford, 239 c.i., V-8, well over 100,000 miles, drained the oil AND antifreeze, placed a concrete block on the gas pedal, started the sucker and waited til it expired. We waited, and waited and waited and waited. Its impressive that cars will run for a lot longer that we THINK they will. Its not unique to toyo.

And when I was a teenager, we took a '54 Ford, 239 c.i., V-8, well over 100,000 miles, drained the oil AND antifreeze, placed a concrete block on the gas pedal, started the sucker and waited til it expired. We waited, and waited and waited and waited. Its impressive that cars will run for a lot longer that we THINK they will. Its not unique to toyo.

Yeah, I had a '63 Fairlane that I drove for 2 years and sold for the same price I bought it for - $75.00 - that had something resembling butter in the crankcase - a clear sign of a leaky head gasket - the whole time I owned it. It just ran and ran, and never asked for anything. No doubt the Top Gear segment was to some extent calculated to create the most sensational impression on the audience. Still, I doubt that very many vehicles could have driven away from that. It was clearly a very tough little truck, and deserves credit for that - not derision. Certainly a newer, more complicated, gasoline powered vehicle - with a real ignition system (instead of self-ignition), and more electronics, would not have survived.

If this were the new F-150 everyone would point to the stats that show this truck is bigger, more hp etc than it's competitors, and that makes it the best.

I think the big three are in trouble with the full sized gas truck market with this truck, and when the second model Titan hits the streets. I don't own a GM, Ford, or Dodge truck, but I would buy the Toyota because of the inherent quality of Toyota, and the expected high resale value.

Everyone here can downplay this truck. I thought the next GMT900 trucks were going to have the market to themselves, this truck may make that a much harder sell for GM.

If this were the new F-150 everyone would point to the stats that show this truck is bigger, more hp etc than it's competitors, and that makes it the best.

I think the big three are in trouble with the full sized gas truck market with this truck, and when the second model Titan hits the streets. I don't own a GM, Ford, or Dodge truck, but I would buy the Toyota because of the inherent quality of Toyota, and the expected high resale value.

Everyone here can downplay this truck. I thought the next GMT900 trucks were going to have the market to themselves, this truck may make that a much harder sell for GM.

The problem with the first line, a focus on HP. Torque is much more important, as is real world MPG (and for a truck that means loaded up). Toyota failed on the last Tundra, in part because it was rated low (payload and towing) and didn't offer much better MPG unloaded (and by the nature of the engine was likely worse for the same load).

Are the Big 3 trucks in trouble, not really. Toyota and Nissan cannot produce enough of them to make a major dent. Both still have a long way to go on configurations. And I'm not sure how much resale really matters to the heart of this market (yup still contractors), most of them run their trucks into the ground.