The Jeep J8

BlackHorse

The Jeep J8 is a military project. If you'll read the article it explains it all, but most note worthy about this particular Jeep is this.

The Jeep J8 is powered by a 2.8-litre four-cylinder turbodiesel engine that produces 118 kW (158 hp) and 400 Nm (295 lb.-ft.) of torque, providing towing capability of up to 3,500 kg (7,716 lbs.). The engine is mated to a five-speed automatic transmission.

http://blogs.automotive.com/6216445/cuvs/j...duty/index.html

This is a Jeep they should make for the American civilian market, they would be immensely popular.

The Jeep J8 is a military project. If you'll read the article it explains it all, but most note worthy about this particular Jeep is this.

http://blogs.automotive.com/6216445/cuvs/j...duty/index.html

This is a Jeep they should make for the American civilian market, they would be immensely popular.

I'm not sure about the civilian market, Wrangler already serves this purpose pretty well, but I'm sure we'll probably see these being used by the Border patrol.

I'm not sure about the civilian market, Wrangler already serves this purpose pretty well, but I'm sure we'll probably see these being used by the Border patrol.

No I was referring to the powertrain rmc. Jeep does not currently offer a diesel engine in the wrangler. That's what I was referring to. As to the J8, Jeep is already on track to release a civilian version of that called the JT for Jeep Truck.

The Diesel in the J8 does not meet US requirements. Hopefully with Chryslers pledge of offering alternate powertrains in all of it's vehicles we'll see a diesel in the Wrangler eventually. As to the JT, has it been confirmed? And if it has, is it confirmed it will have this suspension configuration? (I find it more likely it will be the same suspension as the Unlimited)

No I was referring to the powertrain rmc. Jeep does not currently offer a diesel engine in the wrangler. That's what I was referring to. As to the J8, Jeep is already on track to release a civilian version of that called the JT for Jeep Truck.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. Has the JT been confirmed? I knew it was in the plans, but didn't know it had been approved yet.

A diesel could make sense though, with Chrysler planning on offering alternate powertrains on all its vehicles, so maybe the diesel will come.

As I understand it, the JT is "all but" confirmed. It's very likely that it will go to production as they are testing several production mules but they still have not officially confirmed it. Both the press and general public feedback to Jeep on the JT are "build it now" so it's looking good. It will not have the same suspension configuration as the J8. It would have the standard Jeep Wrangler Unlimited suspension. I have no doubt that the diesel in the J8 doesn't meet emissions requirements, but I'm pretty sure they could put a diesel in the jeep that could. Also it seems obvious to me that if they can put a 5 speed auto in the J8, they could do that in the civilian Wrangler. That part seems a no brainer. In the end I'm with sully, Chrysler has pledged alternative fuel options in all of their vehicles and to me a diesel in the Jeep Wranglers just seems the natural fit. The Jeep would then actually get better mileage and the diesel engine would provide the great torque you need for off roading.

I am sure that Jeep could EASILY transplant the 3.0 turbo diesel from the Grand Cherokee (the USA Grand Cherokee) into the Wrangler. It pumps out 215 horsepower and 376 pound feet of torque. And in the GC, it makes a HUGE difference in fuel economy.

Thanks CrownVic, so there you have it, problem solved and Jeep wouldn't even have to do a lot of development to make it happen. It astounds me they haven't done this already. If I could get a Wrangler that was getting 20 to 24 mpg around town coupled with the low end grunt the diesel would provide for off roading I'd be driving one tomorrow.

Thanks CrownVic, so there you have it, problem solved and Jeep wouldn't even have to do a lot of development to make it happen. It astounds me they haven't done this already. If I could get a Wrangler that was getting 20 to 24 mpg around town coupled with the low end grunt the diesel would provide for off roading I'd be driving one tomorrow.

You think thats great...just look at the 3.0 TD compared to the 4.7 V8 in the GC (all info taken from Trailer Boats magazine)

This is the 3.0:

3.0L V-6 TURBODIESEL

Net Torque 376 lb.-ft. @ 1600 rpm

Net Horsepower 215 @ 3800 rpm

Boat Towed Sea Ray 220 Sundeck

Trailer/Boat Weight (public scale) 5450 lbs.

Tongue Weight (public scale) 350 lbs.

ACCELERATION (seconds)

0-30 mph (nontowing) 4.0

0-30 mph (towing) 6.1

0-60 mph (nontowing) 10.1

0-60 mph (towing) 19.9

FUEL ECONOMY (mpg)

Overall Nontowing 19.2

Overall Towing 12.2

Aren't those numbers great?

Here is the 4.7:

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4WD

4.7L SOHC GAS V-8

Net Torque 305 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm

Net Horsepower 235 @ 4500 rpm

Boat Towed Chaparral Sunesta 232

Trailer/Boat Weight (public scale) 5340 lbs.

Tongue Weight (public scale) 420 lbs.

ACCELERATION (seconds)

0-30 mph (nontowing) 3.9

0-30 mph (towing) 6.9

0-60 mph (nontowing) 9.9

0-60 mph (towing) 20.9

FUEL ECONOMY (mpg)

Overall Nontowing 13.9

Overall Towing 9.8

The fuel economy difference is amazing.

If I were in the market for a SUV, this would be my only choice.

Isn't the 2.8L the engine DCX offered in the Liberty? If so, then yeah, it's not emissions compliant. My guess is the 3.0L won't make it across the board ('cause if I remember reading this correctly) it's rather expensive. I don't know if Chrysler has a small diesel under development or would be able to convince the former overlords to let Chryserbus purchase them for less. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

While I agree diesel is a possibility for all SUVs I still have a hard time getting excited over any vehicle that manages 19mpg. Sure, it's way up from 13mpg, but 13 is MORE embarassing than 19 is outstanding.

Scott

Isn't the 2.8L the engine DCX offered in the Liberty? If so, then yeah, it's not emissions compliant. My guess is the 3.0L won't make it across the board ('cause if I remember reading this correctly) it's rather expensive. I don't know if Chrysler has a small diesel under development or would be able to convince the former overlords to let Chryserbus purchase them for less. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

While I agree diesel is a possibility for all SUVs I still have a hard time getting excited over any vehicle that manages 19mpg. Sure, it's way up from 13mpg, but 13 is MORE embarassing than 19 is outstanding.

Scott

The 3.0 diesel in the Grand Cherokee is a $1655 option. That's not that expensive. There are people on this board that insist they would pay $1500 for lifetime Satellite radio as an option. I would think to the offroad Wrangler crowd, adding a 3.0 diesel for 1600 is a steal.

The Explorer and the Expedition both get 13 / 14 mpg around town, below what a Jeep Wrangler gets with a gasoline engine though just barely. Also factor in that a Wrangler is about as aerodynamic as a rolling brick and it's not hard to see that if you can get a diesel engine that would get you 19 mpg around town that's great for a Jeep Wrangler.

Edited by BlackHorse