Oldies Can Be Goodies

Most disgurntled Windstar owners went to imports and never looked back.

Huh? The wife drives an old 98 windstar with 260,000km's on it and my father has a 2004 with 90,000km's. A guy who works for me has a 98 and another a 95. The only one to complain is my father who's rear left brake locks up (once, less 2000km's) or squeels if it's parked more than a few days. Other than that, regular maint and replace parts when worn out. (pads, rotors, etc)

Actually I just remembered something else, dads P/S pump squeels when it's hot. Dealer told him it's normal or replace it for $600.00! I said mine is a little noisy too, don't worry about it.

I have nothing but praise for windstars (3.8 headgaskets I know, I know)

Other than headgaskets, what else goes wrong and why would there be "disgurntled" (disgruntled) owners?

Mine still has the original exh! And it's been in the Maritimes for it's whole life!

Most disgurntled Windstar owners went to imports and never looked back.

Huh? The wife drives an old 98 windstar with 260,000km's on it and my father has a 2004 with 90,000km's. A guy who works for me has a 98 and another a 95. The only one to complain is my father who's rear left brake locks up (once, less 2000km's) or squeels if it's parked more than a few days. Other than that, regular maint and replace parts when worn out. (pads, rotors, etc)

Actually I just remembered something else, dads P/S pump squeels when it's hot. Dealer told him it's normal or replace it for $600.00! I said mine is a little noisy too, don't worry about it.

I have nothing but praise for windstars (3.8 headgaskets I know, I know)

Other than headgaskets, what else goes wrong and why would there be "disgurntled" (disgruntled) owners?

Mine still has the original exh! And it's been in the Maritimes for it's whole life!

i have a 2003 windstar excellent shape 35000 miles runs great no complaints

That's your response?? To post a link to an editorial from a pr firm for a whose who of big business?? Of course they'll tell the lie that NAFTA is a good thing for all!!

:finger::finger::finger:

Let's look at their clients..

The very companies who have benefitted from free trade.

:finger::finger::finger::finger:

Wow, I see that you are willing to admit that a great deal of companies benefited from free trade. Good for you. You get a gold star.

Seems to me Flynnt makes sense on this issue. The Ranger makes a ton of sense. Just market it and give it a bit of a makeover until the next generation comes along. It makes no sense to leave a segment then come back to it in a year or two. In particular when its Toyota that will be picking your bones.

The word is that it cannot accommodate side airbags, which will be mandatory next year (?).

Well, back to topic. I agree that Ford not commiting to Ranger or minvans will hurt them in long run. Most disgurntled Windstar owners went to imports and never looked back.

Also, when will Ford say what is going on with Ranger, CV, and vans? GM has their plans for all to see, but Ford keeps stringging along with 'no comment'.

I have to agree.

My wife and I liked the Windstar looks, but we were put off by the ride/engine & overall fit & finish. Basically, we were forced to buy a Toyota Sienna. The engine in my Sienna is the same as Lexus & top-tier Camry. (The sludge issue was resolved by then). At the time, the Freestyle looked promising, but the 3.0 was anemic. I also wanted a vehicle with a flat floor (without a center console) to allow easier access to children.

I don't know if Ford should reinvest in a proper Minivan. The Flex looks pretty promising and The TaurusX may grow into the Explorer.

But the Ranger, sheesh, that's an American staple! The Ranger's sales decline may have more to do with *neglect* than with demand. People want small trucks, but they want the best small trucks and Ford hasn't done a spectacular job in evolving the Ranger past the Tacoma.

Refreshing the styling, increasing cab comfort, amentities and upgrading bells&whistles would help. It would also help making it 5-star safe 'all the way around' and putting in the 3.5L. Back it up with a hefty warranty to help people away from Tacoma. (#1 reason people buy a Tacoma over a Ranger is, IMHO, reliability perception. To overcome this, a generous warranty would tell the customer Ford trusts its own engineering and manufacturing).

Edit: Ford, if you're reading this- Fix Or Repair Daily is still heard. True or not, it's the perception in big cities. You can't afford to be sloppy or half-ass. Good enough.....isn't!

BTW, Kinetic style on Modeo/ Fusion=Good. Kinetic style on Ranger=Bad. Keep the trucks Bold!

Edited by joihan777

Wow, I see that you are willing to admit that a great deal of companies benefited from free trade. Good for you. You get a gold star.

Man are you dense, exactly my point, corporations benefit from NAFTA since they can use cheap Mexican labor, people in the US and Mexico are both losers however, the US has lost millions of manufacturing jobs, and the poor in Mexico have been ravaged by "free trade".

You need to go do your homework, and for somebody who claims to be a liberal I find that hard to believe with your pro-corporate stance. What's good for billionaires is not good for the poor and the middle class.

http://www.citizen.org/documents/NAFTA_10_jobs.pdf

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0114-04.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/01/...in1773839.shtml

Yes, GM, Chrysler, and Ford are run by fools intent on destroying good products. The UAW, the only common theme between the three aside from their American headquarters/manufacturing base, is incidental.

This article is Flint at his worst; dramatist. The Ranger, as he knows, won't disappear. It just won't be built by the UAW any longer. Now, many incredible decisions have been made at Ford by insiders with the mentality of "protect my fiefdom" a la "no car sold for less than $30K should share sheet metal with vehicles sold outside the US." That era is dying or dead. It's still going to take another 4-6 years to get rid of the immediate ramifications.