Ford of Europe sales down 9% in October

Ford Jellymoulds

yo stupid stop parroting Dick.

BTW FORD NA is losing market share in a shrinking market.

please use your own brain.

And their retail sales are very close to stable. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad FoE is doing good. I want FNA to do good, but comparing they, who are in different markets, time and again, does nothing.

Edited by suv_guy_19

And their retail sales are very close to stable. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad FoE is doing good. I want FNA to do good, but comparing they, who are in different markets, time and again, does nothing.

By nature ANYTHING we do here does nothing.

I simply noted how they have Grown their retail and shrunk thier fleet sales, while growing market share. It is an feat that any car company would boast about. don't infer a cheap shot at FNA by me, please don't diminish the accomplishments of FOE.

By nature ANYTHING we do here does nothing.

I simply noted how they have Grown their retail and shrunk thier fleet sales, while growing market share. It is an feat that any car company would boast about. don't infer a cheap shot at FNA by me, please don't diminish the accomplishments of FOE.

Oh, so the "Good job, I wish FNA could do that" was nothing? I said it was a good job, but don't diminish the recent accomplishments of FNA and Alan Mulally. They are turning around. Right now profit is more important than sales.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Oh, so the "Good job, I wish FNA could do that" was nothing? I said it was a good job, but don't diminish the recent accomplishments of FNA and Alan Mulally. They are turning around. Right now profit is more important than sales.

I agree, that was a cheap shot.

It will take many more years to rebuild FNA.

FOE seems to be executing very well, something that FNA is beginning to do today.

I agree, that was a cheap shot.

It will take many more years to rebuild FNA.

FOE seems to be executing very well, something that FNA is beginning to do today.

I agree with you, and I do wish we could be saying that about FNA now. I'm sorry for getting defensive, I just get tired of so many peope on here constantly ragging and ragging. I'm not pointing at you though.

It escapes people's notice, I suppose, that it's not just Ford NA that needs to be fixed.

Ford as in FORD needs fixing. As Mulally said yesterday, Ford needs to integrate with itself.

How else could Ford (the parent company) have fixed what was wrong in Europe while failing to fix what was wrong with NA?

Your right Richard, T-Stao is always blaming FOA for every J/LR woe, soon as its good news its all down to and down to those wonderful J/LR guys in Coventry or Gaydon England, double standards or what.

Your right Richard, T-Stao is always blaming FOA for every J/LR woe, soon as its good news its all down to and down to those wonderful J/LR guys in Coventry or Gaydon England, double standards or what.

Well TStag doesn't speak for J/LR and neither do I.

However I'm certain that most Jaguar will be grateful to Ford for rescuing them from certain oblivion in the early 90's, installing Sir Bill Hayden & Sir Jim Padilla et al to sort out the ancient production facilities, quality processes, and championing investment in new products like the V8 engine and the previous XJ & XK. They will also be grateful to FNA for co-developing the excellent DEW98 platform which was the basis of the not just the S type, but developments from that, the aluminium XJ/XK (with Ford R&A assistance) and latterly the XF. They will also be grateful to Ford for developing the (in many ways) class-leading V6 & V8 diesel engines.

I'm also certain that most in Land Rover will be grateful to Ford for allowing them to continue designing the T5 platform to create the hugely profitable Discovery and Range Rover Sport, and for co-developing the Freelander on the exceptional EUCD platform with access to several excellent powertrains.

Unfortunately Ford asked far too much of Jaguar when given the task of filling (a-plant-too-far) in Halewood with the X-type, which for even the slightest glimmer of viability had to be built on the transverse-engined Mondeo platform (an excellent platform based on it's own merits). Cheapening the Jaguar brand to perhaps unrecoverable depths made worse by cannibalising sales from more expensive Jags. Ford also asked too much of Jaguar by giving them the abortive F1 programme to fund (when Jaguar was always about Le Mans anyway). All of which aided the cancellation of the potentially astonishing X600 'F' type which could have returned the Jaguar brand to aspirational status to those below 40:

http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/ftype.html

Amongst many others there were perhaps two people most responsible for these decisions. I must concede one was a Brit, but he was still a Ford man through-and-through, recruited from a time when an RP accent & a Classics Degree got you onto the executive fast-track, Sir Nicholas Scheele. And Grandpa Nick was the right hand-man of a certain Jaques Nasser who, when in charge Ford Automotive Ops, did the most to force the redundant FoE plant Halewood on Jaguar.

The moral of the story? Entirely blaming Jaguar (or rather their workers) for the current predicament is as retarded as blaming Ford's north american workers for the problems in FNA, because the leadership that fucked up Jag is the same leadership that fucked up Ford.

Edited by jon_the_limey

Well TStag doesn't speak for J/LR and neither do I.

However I'm certain that most Jaguar will be grateful to Ford for rescuing them from certain oblivion in the early 90's, installing Sir Bill Hayden & Sir Jim Padilla et al to sort out the ancient production facilities, quality processes, and championing investment in new products like the V8 engine and the previous XJ & XK. They will also be grateful to FNA for co-developing the excellent DEW98 platform which was the basis of the not just the S type, but developments from that, the aluminium XJ/XK (with Ford R&A assistance) and latterly the XF. They will also be grateful to Ford for developing the (in many ways) class-leading V6 & V8 diesel engines.

I'm also certain that most in Land Rover will be grateful to Ford for allowing them to continue designing the T5 platform to create the hugely profitable Discovery and Range Rover Sport, and for co-developing the Freelander on the exceptional EUCD platform with access to several excellent powertrains.

Unfortunately Ford asked far too much of Jaguar when given the task of filling (a-plant-too-far) in Halewood with the X-type, which for even the slightest glimmer of viability had to be built on the transverse-engined Mondeo platform (an excellent platform based on it's own merits). Cheapening the Jaguar brand to perhaps unrecoverable depths made worse by cannibalising sales from more expensive Jags. Ford also asked too much of Jaguar by giving them the abortive F1 programme to fund (when Jaguar was always about Le Mans anyway). All of which aided the cancellation of the potentially astonishing X600 'F' type which could have returned the Jaguar brand to aspirational status to those below 40:

http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/ftype.html

Amongst many others there were perhaps two people most responsible for these decisions. I must concede one was a Brit, but he was still a Ford man through-and-through, recruited from a time when an RP accent & a Classics Degree got you onto the executive fast-track, Sir Nicholas Scheele. And Grandpa Nick was the right hand-man of a certain Jaques Nasser who, when in charge Ford Automotive Ops, did the most to force the redundant FoE plant Halewood on Jaguar.

The moral of the story? Entirely blaming Jaguar (or rather their workers) for the current predicament is as retarded as blaming Ford's north american workers for the problems in FNA, because the leadership that fucked up Jag is the same leadership that fucked up Ford.

Your right with most lot the points you have made here Jon, but T-Stags views are always biased and unbalanced. Ford may have made mistake with sharing the same platform with a Mondeo, but who knows if Jaguar would been in better shape if it had used its own platform. I for one like most Brits were very excited at seeing Jaguar enter F1, if Jaguar had won it rewards would have been greater than Le Man. But l think you are right again Jon, Le Mans is where Jaguar should have been, and yes F1 cost Ford a lot more to do than Le Man, l have never really understood why Ford also waste so much money on sponsoring soccer when its budget would be better spent on Motorsport as you end up getting a lot of technology spin offs as a bonus.

Still you are right Ford and Jaguar are both to blame and praise in equal measures, but a the end of the day the blame stops with the man at the top of both Jaguar and Ford. Alan Mullly inherited Jaguar in a dire state from somebody that went manic and bought Jaguar in the past with Fords profits so you can’t blame him.

I Just hope things get settled sooner the better for both Ford & Jaguar, Jaguar are losing sales all the time the uncertainty hangs over them, it must be putting buyers off buying Jaguar. I can remember what happened with Rover 75 sales, they were booming when they started talking about selling off Rover but because the talks took so long they ended up with almost zero sales by the time the deal was completed due to all the uncertainty the buyer stayed away.