Lincoln names are confusing apparently ...

SVT_MAN

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see where people really get the impression that the Lincoln LS is "sporty" compared to the MKZ either. Neither car handles like it's on rails, and the LS transmission is amongst one of the sloppiest shifting autos in a "luxury" car I've ever experienced. And even with the V8, its acceleration was nothing to write home about.

I also take exception to the "gussied up Mazda" references. Hell, I wish my Mazda6 had an interior/powertrain/available options like the MKZ. I REALLY wish it was as quiet as one too. The Mazda6 is noisy as hell inside. It handles pretty well and seems to be holding together okay, but those two traits certainly aren't BAD things to share with other platform-mates.

Now I wonder if YOU keep up with current events. The LS has won praise the Z never will. Like MT COY and R&T tests that put it on a par with BMW handling. Sport edition LS anyway. Perhaps you've only driven the non-sport which is softer? And my LS transmission is GREAT. Push in the clutch pedal and it shifts silky-smooth. Turn off AdvanceTrak and I can get rubber in first 2 gears. This at 90,000 miles and not a dime on maintenance except tires twice and brakes once. Yeah, I wish they'd put a manual in the V8 version, but apparently, especially with Ford, you cant always get what you want.

Incidentally, based on my experience with trying to BUY a manual-tranny LS, Lincoln will NEVER sell a manual equipped car again. Which is ANOTHER way they're losing their ass to Caddy. The CTS is HOT with a 6speed manual and the dealers will actually sell them to you.

Sorry about you takin exception, but a gussied up M6 is pretty much the story. Gussied up with some sound deadening material, sure, but is it a less expensive aluminum suspended anti-dive geometry cheaper BMW on a Jaguar platform? No, that aint the Z

And I just learned yesterday that the "Lincoln-exclusive" 3.7 liter V6 in the emm kay esssss has been in the Mazda CX-9 for almost a year. SOme exclusive.

Up there? This is the first post on a new page :hysterical: . I fould it though. I still have one question. What does the first letter mean?

Is that how you Canadians spell "Found"?

Anyway, is reading that hard?

The first letter in a Lexus name indicates the relative size and cost of the car. The higher in the alphabet the letter is, the higher the price. For some reason -- a Toyota spokesman wasn't sure why -- the R SUVs are an exception to this particular rule. They are actually the least expensive Lexus SUVs.

Shows what you know. It's not even the same engine.

Yeah, the Mazda has more power! :hysterical:

I can hear it now, "Oh yeah...well...wait until Twin Force comes out...that will show you! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Now I wonder if YOU keep up with current events. The LS has won praise the Z never will. Like MT COY and R&T tests that put it on a par with BMW handling. Sport edition LS anyway. Perhaps you've only driven the non-sport which is softer? And my LS transmission is GREAT. Push in the clutch pedal and it shifts silky-smooth. Turn off AdvanceTrak and I can get rubber in first 2 gears. This at 90,000 miles and not a dime on maintenance except tires twice and brakes once. Yeah, I wish they'd put a manual in the V8 version, but apparently, especially with Ford, you cant always get what you want.

The one I drove was my grandfather's LS V8...so no manual. Of course a manual is only going to shift as smooth as its operator. Apparently you know how to drive stick. Congrats.

Incidentally, based on my experience with trying to BUY a manual-tranny LS, Lincoln will NEVER sell a manual equipped car again. Which is ANOTHER way they're losing their ass to Caddy. The CTS is HOT with a 6speed manual and the dealers will actually sell them to you.

On this I would agree, at least on the MKZ. I see no use or demand for a manual on any of their other cars. If they do indeed release the MKR, it BETTER have a manual option to be taken the least bit seriously.

Sorry about you takin exception, but a gussied up M6 is pretty much the story. Gussied up with some sound deadening material, sure, but is it a less expensive aluminum suspended anti-dive geometry cheaper BMW on a Jaguar platform? No, that aint the Z

Thank God it's not the Z. It would cost $10,000 more and probably wouldn't have any tangible benefits. By all accounts, DEW-98 has turned out to be a failure. It's a very inflexible platform that cost far too much to build. What we know now already: The next generation MKZ will be on the global midsize FWD/AWD architecture called EUCD2. It will be getting the 3.7 V6. It ALREADY performs as well as the LS V6, so there's nowhere to go but up.

And I just learned yesterday that the "Lincoln-exclusive" 3.7 liter V6 in the emm kay esssss has been in the Mazda CX-9 for almost a year. SOme exclusive.

Not the same engine.

You've read? Read where? Here? I don't recall anyone from FORD saying that Lincoln has its sights set on Buick.

It was written by a Ford employee who used to post on edmunds.com. He hasn't posted in a long time, ever since right around the first buy-outs happened. Coincidence? BTW, his screen name there was VERY similar to one of the posters here. Wonder sometimes if it's the same guy?

Dont really wanna argue (I came here for ABUSE) but it should be pretty obvious to the casual observer that Lincolns' offerings right now do not compete with the upper crust luxury vehicles in any real way. The X finishes behind the likes of Hyundai in all the tests I've read. I haven't seen any comparos with featuring the Z - maybe because no one can figure out what it's supposed to compete with. Certainly not the CTS, which is this years MT COY as of yesterday. And deservedly so. What a beautiful machine. IF I was in the market and had some $$$s, I'd be trading my LS on one of them. It's what Ford should have done with the LS. The Escalade out-powers and out-blings the Navigator by far now and ... gee I guess that's it.

Why would you post without even reading what I posted?

Did I say that I can't figure them out? No. I said that I don't care about Lexus.

But FWIW:

There was also mention of Lexus and thus my question. Your quote of the explanation of the Lexus nomenclature only reinforces that these naming schemes are arbitrary in nature.

but it should be pretty obvious to the casual observer that Lincolns' offerings right now do not compete with the upper crust luxury vehicles in any real way. The X finishes behind the likes of Hyundai in all the tests I've read. I haven't seen any comparos with featuring the Z - maybe because no one can figure out what it's supposed to compete with. Certainly not the CTS, which is this years MT COY as of yesterday. And deservedly so. What a beautiful machine. IF I was in the market and had some $$$s, I'd be trading my LS on one of them. It's what Ford should have done with the LS. The Escalade out-powers and out-blings the Navigator by far now and ... gee I guess that's it.

The Lincoln MKFusion, by the look and sound of it, does not really compete with Chevy and their Malibu. The Malibu is leaps and bounds ahead of the MKFusion.

Oh, so TWO years is how long Lincoln products are expected to stay fresh before they get blown away by a Chevy?

See avatar.

No, you git. It means that design cycles between different manufacturers aren't in sync with each other. They're always going to leapfrog each other. Do you really believe that Chevy only spent TWO years designing the new Malibu? :finger:

Edited by TomServo92