...FoMoCo confidence.

ZanatWork

So...

...the Mustang is an out-of-the-park hit. The F-series is still a monster. The Econoline quietly remains atop the big van heap. The Five Hundred, while seemingly allergic to headlines, is hitting sales expectations. The Explorer and Escape continue their onslaught, and Mercury is benefitting from new products advertised by the cutest woman in car advertising.

Okay. Time to accept the momentum as a positive and shock the auto market...bravery would stand out a ton.

The new V6 and awd for the Zephyr are important...but tweaking the car into an all-out class leader would make it Acura's worst nightmare. Lincoln should get the hottest 3.5 available, at least intitially.

The Fusion and Milan should get their "ST" versions with almost-but not quite-the appointments of the Zephyr. Let's give Subaru, Toyota, and Honda fits in the sedan market.

A Fusion sport wagon seems like it should be in consideration, at least from where I sit. Awd, 3.5, plenty of space, 3 pedals available...something for the people deserting SUVs and not interested in crossovers.

Could we also get a REAL update for the damned Focus this time? The car's sales keep falling, and the competition is seemingly more concerned about small car development...not a message you want to send to the 16-20-year-olds in the market right now.

The Crown Vic...the Ranger...the Grand Marquis...the Town Car...C'MON, GIVE UP THE GOOD STUFF! These warriors have taken many hits for the team, it's time to make 'em all they can be. Past time.

The mod motors need to quit bonking off of the 300 hp mark like it was a wall. Toyota's new truck is due any minute, will the F-series get more ammo for the upcoming pickup war?

Please, oh please, make the Sport Trac civil enough on road to get the market the Ridgeline is alienating, while having the real truck capability Ford customers have come to expect.

What I'm saying (and none too clearly) is that the chinks in the Blue Oval armor come in two types:

1. The hesitation to style/equip vehicles to dominate their class.

2. The insufficient tweaks to the older soldiers.

Fix these, and things get better.

Edited by ZanatWork

The new V6 and awd for the Zephyr are important...but tweaking the car into an all-out class leader would make it Acura's worst nightmare. Lincoln should get the hottest 3.5 available, at least intitially.

I don't see that happening. I see the Lincoln models becoming competent, but not deserving of the term "hot" in a performance aspect. All the press releases regarding Lincoln's future lead me to believe that Lincolns will be nothing more than docile, opulent cars. Whether we like it or not, that does give Lincoln an ambiance not found with any other brands in their category.

The Econoline quietly remains atop the big van heap.

This thing seriously needs updated or replaced. What happened to the euro-style Transit coming over here, rumored a few years ago? With all the innovations in chassis structural integrity that's found on the F-series, along with the innovations in the interior style fit and finish...the Econoline can be seen as basically junk. Since it harkens back to '92 and earlier in style...eewww. Not to mention it's very inefficient compared to the DCX Sprinter.

Could we also get a REAL update for the damned Focus this time? The car's sales keep falling, and the competition is seemingly more concerned about small car development...not a message you want to send to the 16-20-year-olds in the market right now.
Speaking from the age group in question...

How about some serious Foci this time? Like a Focus that acknowledges its existence in the WRC. The WRC is an insane racing series...and is something Ford and the Focus should be proud of competing in. If Mitsubishi can build a $37K Lancer Evolution, than surely Ford, a larger more competent company with better resources, can build a balls-out Focus. Or is it because you don't want to? The SVT Focus was a start...but you know you can do better (lots better).

The Crown Vic...the Ranger...the Grand Marquis...the Town Car...C'MON, GIVE UP THE GOOD STUFF! These warriors have taken many hits for the team, it's time to make 'em all they can be. Past time.

True indeed. These are some serious vehicles, that need serious overhauls. If you can't afford it, then don't bother half-assing it, because you're only embarrassing yourselves...just discontinue them.

Edited by Max

How about a Focus like THIS.

While that is nice...that's not exactly what I had in mind. That's more of a true pavement pounder focus (i.e. the drag strip). Drag racing isn't too high on my list of motorsports to follow, because there just isn't much to it. The WRC has more allure. The Impreza WRX (300 HP) and the Lancer Evolution (286 HP), along with all wheel drive are more appealing to me than a drag strip car.

I was just looking at the most recent thread asking for the '49...and I'm maybe more pissed than I already was.

Does everyone remember how much buzz Ford was getting off the '49, the 427, the Continental concept...and how nothing came of it?

Nada. Nix. Nothing. I could vomit.

Having just seen the tragedy that is Ford's November figures, I wonder if my faith in Bill Ford is horribly misplaced.

The Focus, Crown Vic, Ranger, Econoline, and Escape are just aging.

The Mustang's huge sales explosion is tapering.

The Explorer is visually repugnant and faltering.

The Expedition has been a loser in comparos for some time (just like the Explorer!) and is very slow.

The Fusion and its siblings are having a solid launch...but won't be potentially leaders in features for their segment for another model year.

The Five Hundred and its siblings appear last in line for an engine they need most.

The F-150 leads in weight and trails in power.

But hey-it's okay-Ford invested in its pension fund!

I really am just venting. Really. It's just that after a horrible year for recalls, a similarly horrible year for the domestic manufacturers, too many products languishing while competitors gain strength, and worse reports every month...I'm worn down.

Cool concepts getting mothballed...current models growing old...millions of bad cruise control switches...GAAAAAH.

Does any of this get to the higher floors in Dearborn? Trust me...if this is the best that the current team can do, fly me up for an interview.

Zan,your right on some points.Whats up with the F-150 having the weakest hp all the damn time?I help build em,and im sick of it.The Fusion can sustain IF Ford really keeps their eye on the ball,and keep it fresh,and innovative.Not to mention that a version to run against the new GTO would be AWESOME.They need to rethink the 500's so-so styling like they did the "oval" Taurus a few years back.That thing was uglyAnd your 100% correct on the concepts.Those babys were incredible.So what do they do? Freestyle anyone? So-so 500 anyone? Ford better grow to big blue ones and build some real rides. B)

:angry:

The explorer is a turd. The tranny is junk and the 4wd components are weak and useless. How do I know? I have an 04 that Ford refused to back. At 40000 miles replaced tranny after having it rebuilt at Ford garage. Now have to replace rearend and the brakes are screwed up.

My brother has an 04...same problems. He owned a 2000 ....three tranny rebuilds 4wd fell out from under itand the brakes were terrible.

The explorer is a turd. The tranny is junk and the 4wd components are weak and useless. How do I know? I have an 04 that Ford refused to back. At 40000 miles replaced tranny after having it rebuilt at Ford garage. Now have to replace rearend and the brakes are screwed up.

My brother has an 04...same problems. He owned a 2000 ....three tranny rebuilds 4wd fell out from under itand the brakes were terrible.

Did you and your brother buy those Explorers from the same dealership? If so, or even if not, your experiences sound like incompetence on the part of the Ford Techs. This happens at every dealership of all manufacturers and private auto maintainance shops.

Personally, I wouldn't take my transmission to be rebuilt by any national chain (Cottman) or the manufacturer's dealership, unless I knew the tech knew his shit when it came to transmissions. That's just the way building an automatic transmission is, you either know it or you don't. It's more than just bolting parts back together. Just like the way you build a high performance engine, each engine builder has their own techniques and standards. Some work, others don't. The tranny shop I'm looking at, for an upcoming rebuild, is a local with his own race team. The shop is well established in the area, and well known for quality work. Even though they may cost a bit more...

3 tranny rebuilds? under warranty? at the same place? I think that's the rebuilder's problem, not the product.

Or it could even be the driver, I'm not judging, merely speaking from experience. A reckless driver with the throttle behind the wheel, can turn just about any automatic to slush in a short period of time. If you know you're hard on transmissions, then take it easy, when you're in one equipped with an automatic. Then make sure you buy a vehicle with a manual for your daily driver.

More options would be to add tranny coolers (bigger ones), or fill it with synthetic ATF (expensive). Both of these will help alleviate the heat build-up in trannies, which is what ultimately kills most of them.

I have to agree with Max.A new tranny and 2 rebuilds?There has to be more to this than what meets the eye.I leased a 2000 Explorer and loved it.I had zero problems(except those cheap ass wipers).Everyone that I know that has a new Explorer loves them.And so far I haven't heard anything negative.I do have to add that I work with most of these people.But that shouldn't make any difference.The only reason that I didn't keep mine after lease end was that the residual was ridiculously high.I now drive a 03 Taurus and I hate it! I'll probably go with the new Sport Trac next time.That's one of the reasons that I like to lease,if I don't like the vehicle no problem I can get something different in 2 years.Of course the way that things are looking all of us that is subject to change.I might end up having to drive some old klunker.By the way where was you Explorer built,LAP or SLAP?Just curious.

Zan,your right on some points.Whats up with the F-150 having the weakest hp all the damn time?

there was a time, back in the 80s when Ford engines had higher output than their GM and Dodge counterparts (302 had more power than 305 or 318, 351 had more than 350 or 360)

Even so, the 3v 5.4 is a tremendous engine. If the F150 was 500# lighter the truck would be a smoker! Maybe on the 2009 redesign, they shouldnt worry so much about putting a 1/2ton body on a 3/4 ton frame.