Yota is building a hybrid pick-em-up truck ?

Roadrunner

A hybrid Tundra? That's what I've heard. Of course, mind you this was from The Internets.

Anyone have more info?

I think we should make the Ranger a hybrid. A compact truck with high MPG would gain a lot more buyers than a retro Ranchero, I am certain. Practicality can sell if it's a unique offering in the market.

A hybrid Tundra? That's what I've heard. Of course, mind you this was from The Internets.

Anyone have more info?

I think we should make the Ranger a hybrid. A compact truck with high MPG would gain a lot more buyers than a retro Ranchero, I am certain. Practicality can sell if it's a unique offering in the market.

Is that the way Toyota is going? You and I both know that just because the truck says "Toyota" and "Hybrid" on it, that's going to guarantee some sales.

Ford appears to be going the diesel route, w/ it's 4.4 Lion Diesel coming soon. Also, there's still the Hydraulic Hybrid rumor (but isn't likely to exist any longer).

I guess we'll see what Ford has up it's sleeve soon enough.

About 2 years ago, Ford was using surveys to gauge interest in a 4.6L 3V V8 Hybrid for the Expedition. At the same time, the same surveys were gauging interest for a proposed 4.4L V8 Diesel for the Expedition as well. From what info I have seen around, it looks as though the Expedition will be getting the Diesel, so maybe it is getting the hybrid as well? My point being, if they design a Hybrid 4.6L V8 for the Expedition, they would likely use it in the F-150 as well.

Another thing to consider is if Ford is going to have Diesels available in their trucks, why not make a Diesel Hybrid instead of a hybrid gas engine, if not both. The diesel already is superior in fuel economy, so adding the hybrid to a diesel would give it's fuel usage that much more "wow" factor. Just a thought.

Another thing to consider is if Ford is going to have Diesels available in their trucks, why not make a Diesel Hybrid instead of a hybrid gas engine, if not both. The diesel already is superior in fuel economy, so adding the hybrid to a diesel would give it's fuel usage that much more "wow" factor. Just a thought.

ITs hard to make a diesel hybrid. Diesel is not the same as gas in its start up procedure. It is much harder on the engine and consumes more in the way of resources during start up.

Well, a Diesel hybrid need not be a full hybrid. Diesels use less fuel per minute to idle than a gasoline engine does (of similar torque production). Using a Planetary Gear CVT setup with a small Diesel engine cna get very good mpg performance. If you want to make it more of a full hybrid, you can setup the drivetrain to run in battery only moad for as long as possible (say, until the accelerator is floored, or, until the battery level gets below 33% or something like that) and then fire the Diesel and keep it running until the vehicle is turned off. A plug in diesel hybrid could potentially earn phenomenal numbers.

Well, a Diesel hybrid need not be a full hybrid. Diesels use less fuel per minute to idle than a gasoline engine does (of similar torque production). Using a Planetary Gear CVT setup with a small Diesel engine cna get very good mpg performance. If you want to make it more of a full hybrid, you can setup the drivetrain to run in battery only moad for as long as possible (say, until the accelerator is floored, or, until the battery level gets below 33% or something like that) and then fire the Diesel and keep it running until the vehicle is turned off. A plug in diesel hybrid could potentially earn phenomenal numbers.

That is a very good idea.