Why I'm questioning if a Shelby or Bullitt is the better fit for me ... and if one's a more "honest" car.

mnmustang

I don't mean to start an emotional car favorite firestorm here, and acknowledge I’m really writing this as a catharsis as I narrow down which model is right for me. I have no answers, but lots of questions (right Joey?). And the lawyer in me can't right briefly any longer, so I apologize for the length of my musings, but honestly, who else would call a 500 pg document a "brief" in the first place.

But I thought I'd share some thoughts on why I've surprised myself by transitioning from "I've got to get a GT-H convertible!" after renting one with my son last summer in Colorado, to a Shelby GT would be fine, eventually getting to where I am today ... giving more serious consideration to a Bullitt instead, wondering if it's not a "more honest" Mustang.

Let me begin by sharing that I'm a child of the original muscle car era and was nursing a very broken heart after foolishly selling my '67 GTO a few years back in a fit of insanity (some things we never forgive ourselves for), when I was SO psyched with the GT-H realizing that had to be the car for me. And so I began what I thought would be a simple quest to purchase a GT-H or at least a GT. "Simple" quickly became disassociated with what I was learning about buying a Shelby, and I found myself slowly but surely becoming kind of disillusioned, not entirely sure why ... but I think I know now.

When I recently logged in to another Shelby forum a pop-up said, "It appears you haven't posted for a few weeks ...," and interestingly, I realized it was about the time I talked to a dealer in CA about the orange Calif Shelby GT a month or more ago that I hit the wall in what started as a simple (or so I thought) quest to buy a GT-H after having such a ball with my son in Colorado.

Long story short, around every corner was another Mustang variation, including a host of Shelby "special editions" such as those for northern CA dealers, southern CA dealers, Hertz, etc. The nuances, fluctuating prices and speculation became overwhelming, and when that Calif dealer casually said they were charging "at least" $10,000 over MSRP with the only diff being the color of yet another limited edition, but the same car as the white or black Shelby GT's (but for some gauges & a Shelby signature on a visor) that continue to sit on lots around the country for more than a year now, I just flamed out. Suddenly it wasn't as much fun looking & learning as it had been because something in the back of my mind was bothering me, I just wasn't sure what it was.

This all got me wondering where the line is between actual collectibility worthy of the investment and "marketed collectibility" by simply changing colors and making so few the price is purposely driven up, at least for those willing to pay to have something others can't. I had to take a short sabbatical from my car quest because, strangely, every time I started up again I couldn't get thoughts of Beanie Babies, Santa Bears and Franklin Mint NASCAR plates out of my mind.

By the way, somewhere in the basement I still have a purple limited edition "Princess" Beanie Baby I entered a contest to get, and won . . . the prize being the right to buy one for $100, which I readily did so my 7 year old daughter could have this limited edition very collectible keepsake which was sure to increase in value; after all, everyone wanted one and there were only a limited number made. I really bought it for $100 and tucked it away “for the future,” but had forgotten about it until just now. For the hell of it I just looked on E-bay and there's one for 99 cents or you can get THE 3 bear Millennium set (in mint condition) for $3.99.

There's a lesson in here somewhere.

Last weekend I got to personally view a new 2007 Shelby GT next to a Bullitt. The GT looked grand with the stripes, hood pins, Shelby plaques inside & out and the Carroll signature on the dash (OK, not a real signature, but a reasonable facsimile thereof). The bling was unmistakably Shelby. The Bullitt, albeit what some might term a “novelty” retro edition, just sat there in its stripped down façade, certainly not as bling-bling as the Shelby, but I’ve gotta tell ‘ya, I think it was growling at me.

While the Shelby is unarguably cool for reasons that include the bling that makes it a Shelby, I found the Bullitt appealing in its own unpretentious appearance. Yes, its statement relates to the 40 th anniversary of the movie, but other than that the appeal is that “it is what it is,” with a price tag that reflects the absence of all those extras ... including a name. Maybe not as pretty as the Shelby’s, maybe not even as fast, but neither were my first muscle cars that I could afford that made as much a statement about me, if not more, than a glitzed out “higher end” model that had been upgraded aftermarket.

I’m not saying the Yenko’s, Shelby’s or Baldwin’s weren’t “honest” cars for those who could afford them (and aren’t they the ones laughing now), but the GTO’s, 442’s, Roadrunners and other cars right from the factory were more real to me . . . or at least more attainable. That’s how I’m feeling about the Bullitt right now, even though I’m in a position to afford whatever I want. I just may be changing my mind on what I want is all.

But I swear, every time I looked at the front end of that Bullitt last weekend something was growling.

Your point is?

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Hi mnmustang. :D Putting Local1111's refreshing bluntness aside for a moment, :hysterical: it would seem that you are more attracted to the Bullitt. So, bite the bullet and buy the Bullitt (hey, I think I like that!). :hysterical:

I agree with most of your musings concerning the two, their future collectible status, collectibles in general, etc etc.

Unless you are going to store it away and not drive it regularly (in my eyes a grave sin), neither will be a collectible, if they ever are anyway. So why not just purchase the Bullitt, the one that is "growling" to you (and will cost thousands less).

If you want the bling and possible "brag" factor, since you have the ability, buy the Shelby.

In my opinion, both are good cars (I am a Mustang fan, having owned 4 GT's over the years) and equally "honest". They just are trimmed differently, both in power and looks, and one costs more than the other (due mainly to Dealer profit grabbing). :banghead:

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Get the Bullitt. It's plenty fast enough for street use, is a better balanced car, and costs less. Cost may not be the determing factor, but who wants to waste money on a depreciating toy?

I have a new very loaded GT coming for my wife, and if the Bullitt came with auto transmission (for her), I would have got a Bullitt.

Get the Bullitt. It's plenty fast enough for street use, is a better balanced car, and costs less. Cost may not be the determing factor, but who wants to waste money on a depreciating toy?

I have a new very loaded GT coming for my wife, and if the Bullitt came with auto transmission (for her), I would have got a Bullitt.

Thx Ralph! Scott

In my opinion both are great cars. I have a 2004 MACH1 and have studied, drove and own many Mustnags in my short time. It is a tough call and I am disappointed in Ford and the Dealerships because of the mark ups on things but I can also see where the Company is hurting for money and needs the extra cost if people will pay for it. I am always looking for a new Mustang but for some reason I can not let my MACH go. It is a tough call between these two cars but I still think I would take the Bullitt and have considered selling my MACH for one. The Shelby GT is nice. The fact that the car actually goes to the Shelby Headquarters in Las Vegas is a throw back to generations of Shelbys gone by. But the fact that car stickers for like ten grand over what the base Mustang GT is selling for is a big turn off. I know that I can buy most of the stuff from Ford Aftermarket and not even be close to that price tag. And to boot dealers are still marking up those cars which is stupid as in my area alone there are at least 4 2007 Shelby still sitting on dealers lots and it has been close to a year for some. Only one or two has actually still lowered there prices and it still does not make enough of a difference to buy one. Basically you are paying for a name and a heritage. Will the car gain in value over the years? Only time will tell. If you think about it the reason the older Shelbys are going for the price they are today is because there are so few left. But two model year runs with very little changes except for color on new Shelby GT's and the "larger" numbers produced in my opinion is not going to hold the value as well as the older Shelby's. Now the California Orange cars may have some slight advantage and if I could get my hands on one without paying a huge mark up I may consider that car and then it may be a draw for me on the two cars. As I think the production numbers will be very low on that Orange model. If you were to buy a Shelby I would go with a GT500 the numbers on certian optioned cars and combonations is worth it and I think these will hold there values better. An even better investment and drive I think is the 2003/2004 Cobra. (Read Iron Fist Lead Foot and you will know why I say this) The Bullitt though is worth the money it is what I consider a better car than the Shelby for performance, model and heritage and it is only a limited 1 year model production run. The 2001 one cars are still holding values pretty well if they are well kept. You get alot of exclusivity offered by Ford without the price tag.

mn. written like a true lawyer....when I finished I was confused about what the subject was initially!!!! :reading:

I ordered a GT500 from my dealer, my refusal to pay more than MSRP resulted in the purchase of a Mercedes instead...

I thought about a Shelby GT, but the cheap tacky hood scoop and fugly rear diffuser killed that idea....and the laughable price too

I have decided now that I am either buying a 2004 Terminator or a 2008 GT Premium and spending the $$ I save on serious mods...

I like the GT and Lord knows there is tons of parts available.....

I love the Bullitt, but the local dealers are adding $10K to the first batch the idiot at the 1st dealer said there was only going to be500 made, so it was a steal at $10K over.........would have laughed if the stupidity wasn't so depressing...

I have been offered a 2008 GT500 @ MSRP, but no color choice......my thought is - BITE ME, and that Z06 is looking way better about now.

I guess I will decide this Spring about which way to go... :stirpot:

I own an 01 Bullitt. Great car, far better than the 01 GT. And certainly superior to the Mach 1, and Cobra that followed, in many ways. Get the Bullitt if it appeals to you. It certainly is the superior car.

$10K over msrp? Don't pay any ADM to any dealer for any car, truck or van. You are getting nothing for your money. There are dealers out there selling for 2.9% over sticker on the Bullitt. Find one of those guys. And once you get it, your local dealer will want your service business, warranty business and what have you. Also, check out IMBOC.com. I am a member there almost as long as I have been member here. Both places are good, but IMBOC will talk to your Bullitt specific needs. You want to know more about a Bullitt. Go there. Made up your mind on another Ford, stay here. Good folks! :shades:

Edited by jonas1022

• 2 weeks later...
I own an 01 Bullitt. Great car, far better than the 01 GT. And certainly superior to the Mach 1, and Cobra that followed, in many ways. Get the Bullitt if it appeals to you. It certainly is the superior car.

$10K over msrp? Don't pay any ADM to any dealer for any car, truck or van. You are getting nothing for your money. There are dealers out there selling for 2.9% over sticker on the Bullitt. Find one of those guys. And once you get it, your local dealer will want your service business, warranty business and what have you. Also, check out IMBOC.com. I am a member there almost as long as I have been member here. Both places are good, but IMBOC will talk to your Bullitt specific needs. You want to know more about a Bullitt. Go there. Made up your mind on another Ford, stay here. Good folks! :shades:

Not to quibble, but how do you figure the (old) bullitt to be far superior to the mach 1? Just curious what your logic is.

Not to quibble, but how do you figure the (old) bullitt to be far superior to the mach 1? Just curious what your logic is.

Well, I own a Bullitt.

J/K!

Most of the magazines at the intro time of the follow-on SE cars tested them against the Bullitt. Amazingly in several, but by no means all of the cases the Bullitt performed as well as the newer hot stuff. Which cost quite a bit more up front, and required premium fuel, an have higher insurance premiums. So, IMHO if I'm going to pay a certain amount of money and get a specific amount of performance that's OK. It's expected. But if I am required to buck up a steep premium above that base amount and only get maybe a fractional increase which can only be measured in stop watches, plus I have to use/buy premium fuel, plus I have to pay an additional 8-10% on my insurance. Well then to me it isn't far superior. "Far "being your word, I would just say that the Bullitt IMO is the obvious superior value. And yes I looked at, drove and evaluated the other Mustangs that were available, to include the GT, the Mach 1, and the Cobra.

One more thing. There is only so much performance that can be utilized on todays highways. And the Bullitt surpasses most if not any performance parameter that you might care to use for the streets. Anything else is a purely feeding the ego. And I do plenty of that in the Bullitt, safely!

Edited by jonas1022

Well, I own a Bullitt.

J/K!

Most of the magazines at the intro time of the follow-on SE cars tested them against the Bullitt. Amazingly in several, but by no means all of the cases the Bullitt performed as well as the newer hot stuff. Which cost quite a bit more up front, and required premium fuel, an have higher insurance premiums. So, IMHO if I'm going to pay a certain amount of money and get a specific amount of performance that's OK. It's expected. But if I am required to buck up a steep premium above that base amount and only get maybe a fractional increase which can only be measured in stop watches, plus I have to use/buy premium fuel, plus I have to pay an additional 8-10% on my insurance. Well then to me it isn't far superior. "Far "being your word, I would just say that the Bullitt IMO is the obvious superior value. And yes I looked at, drove and evaluated the other Mustangs that were available, to include the GT, the Mach 1, and the Cobra.

One more thing. There is only so much performance that can be utilized on todays highways. And the Bullitt surpasses most if not any performance parameter that you might care to use for the streets. Anything else is a purely feeding the ego. And I do plenty of that in the Bullitt, safely!

I mis-read your original statement. Thought you had said the Bullitt was far superior in regards to the mach. I'll pay more attention next time. Duh on my part......LOL. You actually make some very good points about the Bullitt. I do have to agree it probably is a better value compared to the others. I hadn't realized the B doesn't require premium. On a side note, did you know the new Bullitt can run on either? The performance will drop off some, but the computer will recognize the type fuel and adjust accordingly. Anyway, you do have good points. I was fortunate enough to purchase my mach on a D-plan price and saved a ton plus the rebate at the time. It was a good value for me compared to my needs/wants.

No joke. It'll take regular unleaded or premium. Ford recommends prem but regular is perfectably acceptable. This is how Ford words it:

Dual knock strategy enabling the vehicle to run on either regular unleaded or premium (for improved performance)

no, the quote was about the ether.

I am a fan of both the bullit and the shelby, two different cars on the outside, but the performance is about the same on both cars. I do think that the bullit is a bit quicker muscle mustang and fast fords ran a 13.29 in the 1/4 with it. Now having said that im leaning twords the bullit, ill take mine in black

• 3 weeks later...