Detroit News Talks up the F-150

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford put their press release up. http://media.ford.com/events/09f150.cfm

On Ford's media site, you need a press id and login to get to the photos. But - not sure if this is a mistake or not so grab it quick while you can - there's a press-kit pdf file that's like a brochure with lots of details and pictures that can be downloaded without signing-in.

http://media.ford.com/events/2009FordF150Kit.pdf

Oh...and I agree with fbmphil - It's a F*ING SWEET TRUCK! :P

Edited by Rob052067

Actually I really like the tailgate. It offers some visual style instead of being just a big flat piece of sheetmetal. Also the interior looks very nice. It is not terrible like the haters have tried to say. It looks like it will set the standard again for interior design.

09f150fx4_12_mr.jpg

That's only the FX4 interior as well!

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/FordF150p...=thumb1280x1280

There's the Platinum interior. Unfortunately this doesn't show the 8" nav system (which does, BTW get rid of some buttons)

Well they swung and missed with that edition. I am not sold on the overall proportions-just does not feel as fluid as I thought it would be. The tailgate is over designed-but I like the tail lights.

The interior in the new ram looks better to me. Ford's gauge designs are terrible-the pointers are pathetic. The ram looks to have all 4 windows one touch up and down-the F150-even in the platinum is just driver's side-their is no center headrest for the rear passenger-yet again and the only vehicle in that segment that will lack one. The readouts to me are still too small-unlike the Dodge's where they are big and clear.

I am sure it has some real nice features-hopefully enough to hang onto its position, but I have to think GM, Toyota and Chrysler feel a hell of a lot better after looking at these pictures.

That's all you can come up with? The gauge pointers are pathetic? The Platinum model has a power tilt steering column, heated and cooled 10-way power seats, integrated trailer brake system, along with tons of other goodies.

09f150_kr_3-4frtdrvr_as10958.jpg

I will have to say the (King Ranch?) is pretty nice looking. But, that's an expensive model ...

The Platinum model will fit in above the King Ranch, but will offer a lot: heated and cooled 10-way power front seats, power tilt steering column, power deployable running boards, etc.

Ram looks good, the F150 looks tough, I like--as with the Super Duty, the less chrome intensive grilles, but folks, rumor has it the Ram is going nowhere in the towing and payload arena. And I never thought I'd say this, but the Ram's sides and rear look boring--no detailing, just lots and lots of metal.

Granted, that's better than the odd lumps of the Tundra, but I was still kind of surprised that the rest of the truck, aft of the face, looks like it's made out of butter.

The Ram interior looks like a knock-off of the previous F150's---

Oh, and one huge functional beef about ye olde Ram: WHY IS THE CRUISE CONTROL NEXT TO THE DRIVER'S KNEE?

dg009_021rm.jpg

It's the German separate-stalk-for-everything influence kicking in there. I like how Ford integrates it into the steering wheel buttons.

Is there not going to be a navigation system on the F-150?

I dont feel like looking for the pictures right now, but yes, it will offer one, with an 8" screen. It integrates very nicely into the center stack and does remove some of the buttons that are present on non-nav models.

It's the German separate-stalk-for-everything influence kicking in there. I like how Ford integrates it into the steering wheel buttons.

Well actually, that stupid cruise control is not the German stalk. The German one was on the previous years LX cars, gone now. The Mercedes style one is really good. The Dodge one pictured really sucks. Its in my grandmas SX2.0 (or Neon, she bought it without telling anyone) The Mercedes one is on the other side of the steering wheel at the top...IMO, much better.

Edited by suv_guy_19

they did not show a lariat - only LX (the olive green one above), XLT, FX4 (the blue one), STX, KR, and Platinum

Igor

For a Lariat model, I'd imagine you'd just have to picture a King Ranch for the most part, similar to the current difference between the two.

Is Ford gonna release more info tomorrow on the future engines and hp/torque outputs? Also i heard HLA is still around. It would be cool if they announced that they are working on it officially.

The media kit says new diesel and EcoBoost direct-injection gas engines are due in 2010.

Yes, and over 400 lbs of torque. That seems to be the benchmark these days. I guess we will have to wait for the official announcements but I fear the 5.4 will guzzle more gas than the competitors while being on the short end of the stick power wise.

I know power numbers sound good on paper but lets throw them all on a dyno and lets see what gets to the rear wheels as well. Ford and Dodge have sucked at that in the past. This is what really matters. Im guilty of complaining a lot about Ford being short on power in the past but I wish somebody would do this and let the chips fall where they may. Torque curves are more important than peak power 95 percent of the time anyway. Lets see some real world results to compare.

I commend Dodge for limiting their tow ratings to 9K lbs. Ford has a habit of pencil whipping those numbers just to look good on paper. A half ton has no business towing more than around 7500 lbs. That would be pushing any truck imo no matter what the rating or brand.

Press releases have said there will be a 1 mpg improvement across the board.