Horrible Experience Trying To Buy MMH

Trudi

I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I'd really appreciate if anyone who reads this could offer advice of how to escalate this - I want my deposit back and I'd like to avoid anyone else getting treated like this in the future.

I requested an online quote for a MMH which showed to be instock. The "Internet Salesperson" responded with a quote of $25,455 plus destination and any options. At the tme that was $1,500 off of list price. I went in and they said the one I saw had just been sold the day before but they would find one like it - and asked for a $500 refundable deposit. They wouldn't give me a breakdown of the price at the time but it ended up (when I checked from home) being only $500 off of list. I called back a couple days later to a) ask about the price and b) see if they found anythng. The sales guy told me they had ordered one instead because there were none available. In that case, I asked him to add on the premium package if I was going to have to wait anyway. He emailed me back a new quote - this time $200 over list. I called him again that instead of his original $1500 off, it was now $200 over. He apologized (said it was "international" - I think he meant unintentional) and sent the quote back again which was again $500 off list. He would not respond to questions about the missing $1000. I called his sales manager and explained the situation. He said he promised to talk to the sales guy and I should call back the next day - plus he wanted to see the email with the original quote. I called back and he said he saw the quote but my sales guy was out sick and he would call me back. I waited a few days and called again. He yelled at me and told me I was wasting his time and my sale wasn't worth it. I also asked for info on my order so I could track it and he said in 30 years of selling cars no one ever insulted him by asking for order info. I asked for my deposit back and was told it needed to go through some type of processing.

I talked to Ford customer support but they told me they cannot help with these types of issues (before a car is actually sold), only pass them on to the sales managers - which makes no sense since it's the sales manager who is part of the problem. I'm sure this was someone fat fingering the email quote - and all someone had to do was say that and I would have been over it - but they didn't and I'm left thinking they got me in under false pretenses and now won't give me my depost back.

I found another dealer, they gave me all of the info I asked for and placed my order. Worst part - they knew the dealer I went to, they knew the sales manager without me even saying his name and said he regularly screams at sales guys in front of customers and has no problem yelling at customers either.

Hi Trudi. :D While it is not your fault that you wound up doing business with dishonest people, there are things we all must do to safeguard ourselves. Like"thegeneral" stated, it is the minority that makes the majority look bad.

Never sign any agreements, or leave any money down/deposits unless you have all figures agreed upon, in writing, and have gone over them with a calculator and a fine tooth comb. Even then be wary. As soon as they would not give you a breakdown, you should have said you were leaving. When you stayed, played their game and left a deposit, they knew they had a live one. Again, it is not your fault, you are the novice, they are the professionals. They tricked you into playing the game their way.

Essentially, when making a big ticket purchase like a car, live by the old saying "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see!" :blink:

Additionally, you should not have left a deposit on a non-existent vehicle which you had not seen. You should have waited until they notified you they found a vehicle that fit your wishes, then looked over the Invoice before leaving a deposit, and kept a copy of the Invoice. Again, if a Dealer will not show you this paperwork, they are up to no good, so walk out.

When you saw the price discrepancy, you should have called immediately, not waited several days. Again, when you hesitate or "waffle", a dishonest Dealer figures you are an easy mark..

Hopefully, you used a Credit Card to leave the deposit? Never pay a deposit with cash, or even a check. Always use a credit card. In this way, you can always notify the credit card company to not make payment, or to reverse the payment if it has already been made. If you paid by check, have a "stop payment" put on it, if it has not been cashed yet.

Hopefully, you have it in writing that the deposit is refundable? Never take anyone's word for it. If a Dealer will not put it in writing, they are dishonest, take your business elsewhere.

Stop doing business over the phone. Go to the Dealership and politely but firmly demand your deposit back, immediately. No mailing of a check, no excuses that the "Deposit Manager" is out sick. Just station yourself at the front desk until they give you your money back. I do not mean this as an insult in any way, but if you have very large husband/boyfriend/male friend, ask him to come along and stand at your side.

Please understand, I am not trying to pile on here, just try to point out the things you should not repeat.

As far as calling Ford Customer Service: Unfortunately, there really is not much Ford can do. By Federal law, Auto Dealers are independent franchises, and the auto manufacturer's have little power over them.

I think you will get your deposit back, but they will try to make it hard for you. That is what mean little people, with no character or morals normally do.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

He would not respond to questions about the missing $1000.

I believe there was at least a $1000 price increase.

It could be that you "lost" the one on the lot by not jumping on it, and by ordering a new one, you got nailed by at least one of the price increases.

I am not too sure why the salesman didn't tell you this, but then again, the salesperson might not have understood that you were using old, pre-price increase, numbers and not the most current ones.

I can tell you, if you want an Escape or Mariner hybrid, the last thing you want to do, is to stop and waste time thinking about it. Availability is very tight (the Escape hybrid is out to 30 week wait), and Ford keeps upping the prices.

Edited by Walt