Headrests on 2003 Mustang GT

johnjyi

The headrests on my '03 GT are only adjustable two ways. They are too far back for any comfort. A member on StangsUnleashed mentioned that the headrests for the Mach 1 or Cobra may be adjustable four ways.

Anyone know about this and whether they are interchangeable with the GT?

Thanks!

Headrests for comfort?? I don't think my head has ever even touched the headrest in my Mustang. :hysterical: They exist more as a safety feature than for any sort of comfort. I don't think the ones in the Cobra or Mach 1 are any different.

Sometimes, when the lights just turn red on me, I just like to put my head back and rest while I wait. :shades: The GT is the only one in my fleet that won't let me do that.

Besides, I'd hate to imagine the amount of travel before my head its the headrest in case of a rear-end hit. As is, my head has to swing about 45 degrees. :ohsnap:

Edited by exrub

Yeah, one rather constant complaint about Mustangs over the past several generations have been the seats. I would say your best bet would be to go with aftermarket seats. Of course, I'm sure that's not the price-conscious answer you were looking for though.

In comparison to my wife's '08 Mustang, the seats in my '03 has more cushion. Unfortunately, it's the reverse with the headrest. A combination of the two would be nice.

The headrests on my '03 GT are only adjustable two ways. They are too far back for any comfort. A member on StangsUnleashed mentioned that the headrests for the Mach 1 or Cobra may be adjustable four ways.

Anyone know about this and whether they are interchangeable with the GT?

Thanks!

Yes you can, they did make them from 08/05/2002 to 05/12/2004. They list them for Base, GT, and Mach 1.

I would just need to know what color, and if you wanted cloth or Leather?

Below is a sample of the listings. The prices listed are MSRP and not your discounted price, and if I can find them cheaper, I will.

post-20229-1202414674_thumb.jpg

Edited by TeamFord

Yes you can, they did make them from 08/05/2002 to 05/12/2004. They list them for Base, GT, and Mach 1.

I would just need to know what color, and if you wanted cloth or Leather?

Below is a sample of the listings. The prices listed are MSRP and not your discounted price, and if I can find them cheaper, I will.

I have a 2003 Mustang GT Convertible. Interior color is Black Charcoal Leather.

I would like to know how much they would cost if they are, in fact, interchangeable with the two-way headrests that came with my car.

I've attached a pic of what it looks like.

Thanks!

John

post-22182-1202428958_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just an update

I finally got around to changing the headrests on my 2003 Mustang GT.

Looks like not all parts people are intelligent. While the guys at one dealership says they're hard to come by, the ones at another found me the part number and said they were still available as a custom order. Here, I thought they all accessed the same parts database. :poke:

Anyway, I got me a pair and had the dealership service folks swap them out for me. Now, my head doesn't even travel back half the distance until they hit the headrests. :happy feet:

It would seem that they were standard features until March 2003 when they changed them to the smaller two-way adjustables. Of course, my luck, I ordered mine in April 2003. :doh:

Back in 2003, the 2 way headrests were standard on the GT and Mach 1.

If you ordered the Interior Upgrade Package (IUP) on either the GT or the Mach 1, amongst other things, you got 4 way headrests.

On my 2003, I have the IUP and therefore the 4 way headrests.

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update

I finally got around to changing the headrests on my 2003 Mustang GT.

Looks like not all parts people are intelligent. While the guys at one dealership says they're hard to come by, the ones at another found me the part number and said they were still available as a custom order. Here, I thought they all accessed the same parts database. :poke:

Anyway, I got me a pair and had the dealership service folks swap them out for me. Now, my head doesn't even travel back half the distance until they hit the headrests. :happy feet:

It would seem that they were standard features until March 2003 when they changed them to the smaller two-way adjustables. Of course, my luck, I ordered mine in April 2003. :doh: