07 Mustang GT Manual Question

ELlover

I just bought a new 07 Mustang GT 2 weeks ago and I have a question about something being "normal" or not. Its been 11 yrs since I have driven a manual Mustang so I am re-learning everything. Anyways, I noticed that sometimes when shifting into 2nd not going fast, maybe 25, I hear a clacking sound coming from the driveshaft and you can feel it too. It doesn't do this all the time, and I am shifting correctly. My husband seems to think there might be to much play in the drive shaft??? We both have it happen so I know its not one or the other's driving. Has anyone experienced this? I thought I would ask here before I take it to the dealership. Thanks...

I just bought a new 07 Mustang GT 2 weeks ago and I have a question about something being "normal" or not. Its been 11 yrs since I have driven a manual Mustang so I am re-learning everything. Anyways, I noticed that sometimes when shifting into 2nd not going fast, maybe 25, I hear a clacking sound coming from the driveshaft and you can feel it too. It doesn't do this all the time, and I am shifting correctly. My husband seems to think there might be to much play in the drive shaft??? We both have it happen so I know its not one or the other's driving. Has anyone experienced this? I thought I would ask here before I take it to the dealership. Thanks...

Hi ELlover. :D My recommendation would be to make an appointment and bring it in for service. When you go, ask the Service Writer to have a Service Technician take a ride with you, so you can demonstrate exactly what you are concerned about.

To be honest, whatever any of us tell you "may" be wrong, we are only guessing over the Internet. In the end, you still will need to bring it to the Dealer for service. So truthfully, why wait for us schmoes to take wild guesses? :shades:

I wouldn't trust me over the Internet, why should you! :hysterical:

Hope it is nothing serious.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Hi ELlover. :D My recommendation would be to make an appointment and bring it in for service. When you go, ask the Service Writer to have a Service Technician take a ride with you, so you can demonstrate exactly what you are concerned about.

To be honest, whatever any of us tell you "may" be wrong, we are only guessing over the Internet. In the end, you still will need to bring it to the Dealer for service. So truthfully, why wait for us schmoes to take wild guesses? :shades:

I wouldn't trust me over the Internet, why should you! :hysterical:

Hope it is nothing serious.

I plan on bring it in, but wanted to see if it was something that they just "do".

I'm friends with most of the techs at my Ford dealer so I will just have one of them ride with me. Since I grew up around the ford dealership I do not like to go in and complain. :shades:

BTW I don't trust :censored: over the internet!!! :doh:

Thank you for your response though... :rockon:

I plan on bring it in, but wanted to see if it was something that they just "do".

I'm friends with most of the techs at my Ford dealer so I will just have one of them ride with me. Since I grew up around the ford dealership I do not like to go in and complain. :shades:

BTW I don't trust :censored: over the internet!!! :doh:

Thank you for your response though... :rockon:

Hi ELlover. :D Sorry Tiffany, guess my attempt at humor fogged things up a bit.

I have owned 4 Mustang GT's over the years, so my thoughts are: Your problem is not something that "they just do". I can say with some certainty, that none of mine ever just "do'od" that! :shades:

Since you say that you are shifting correctly, and you both experience the problem while driving, your husband may very well be correct. :redcard: Even if the possible problem is not too much play in the drive shaft, there would seem to be something going on.

That was why, using my powers of Internet mechanical diagnosis, :stats: I said you should bring it in to have it checked.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi!

I own a 2003 Mustang GT with the manual transmission and have exprienced similar issues.

First, does this occurs in the cold, beginning of a drive, and/or after the car's been sitting for a few days but goes away after a few minutes? If so, what I've found out (after several visits to the service guys) is that this may be due to the fluid draining out from 2nd and also 4th gears. The sound is the synchronizing/planetary gear grinding with the transmission gear. I normally do slow shifts when I drive the car after sitting.

Second, based on my experience, by the time you get to service, it won't do that anymore. The only way to replicate the symptoms is to have them keep the car for a few days during the cold weather. Also, the tech will need to drive the car first, not the lot attendant. Otherwise, the tech won't hear or feel it again.

Instead of having my car's transmission messed with, I decide to deal with the problems by slow-shifts until it goes away.

Good luck!

Hi!

I own a 2003 Mustang GT with the manual transmission and have exprienced similar issues.

First, does this occurs in the cold, beginning of a drive, and/or after the car's been sitting for a few days but goes away after a few minutes? If so, what I've found out (after several visits to the service guys) is that this may be due to the fluid draining out from 2nd and also 4th gears. The sound is the synchronizing/planetary gear grinding with the transmission gear. I normally do slow shifts when I drive the car after sitting.

Second, based on my experience, by the time you get to service, it won't do that anymore. The only way to replicate the symptoms is to have them keep the car for a few days during the cold weather. Also, the tech will need to drive the car first, not the lot attendant. Otherwise, the tech won't hear or feel it again.

Instead of having my car's transmission messed with, I decide to deal with the problems by slow-shifts until it goes away.

Good luck!

It does seem to happen more when cold. I will have to pay attention to it more. No way would I leave any of my cars at the dealer to sit, and I used to work there. I noticed today when I took it out to the store, it back fired a bit in first gear... hmmmmm

This car sat on the dealer lot for almost 10 months so I know it will probably have some issues.

Thannks for your response.

Hi ELlover. :D Sorry Tiffany, guess my attempt at humor fogged things up a bit.

I have owned 4 Mustang GT's over the years, so my thoughts are: Your problem not something that "they just do". I can say with some certainty, that none of mine ever just "do'od" that! :shades:

Since you say that you are shifting correctly, and you both experience the problem while driving, your husband may very well be correct. :redcard: Even if the possible problem is not too much play in the drive shaft, there would seem to be something going on.

That was why, using my powers of Internet mechanical diagnosis, :stats: I said you should bring it in to have it checked.

Your humor is much better than what some do!!! Would much rather have humor than cold A$$... :ohsnap:

This is our 3rd mustang and I dont recall them ever doing this. I am going to pay more attention to it, then when I take my Expy in for some recalls I will have them drive it with me.

Thanks for your input!!! :stats:

It does seem to happen more when cold. I will have to pay attention to it more. No way would I leave any of my cars at the dealer to sit, and I used to work there. I noticed today when I took it out to the store, it back fired a bit in first gear... hmmmmm

This car sat on the dealer lot for almost 10 months so I know it will probably have some issues.

Thannks for your response.

Hey!

I don't blame you about not wanting to leave a good car with the dealer for longer than it needs to be there.

My service advisor and I believe it is something with the Tremec transmissions. The thing is, however, the car needs enough time for the fluid to drain out from the upper gears (location only). At least that's my experience...usually 2 to 3 days.

However, in case any of the techs lives close by, you could ask if he/she could stop by your place to go for a ride after leting the car sit at your home for a few days.

As far as the backfire goes, that's a new one for me. Sorry.

Good luck!

John

Hey!

I don't blame you about not wanting to leave a good car with the dealer for longer than it needs to be there.

My service advisor and I believe it is something with the Tremec transmissions. The thing is, however, the car needs enough time for the fluid to drain out from the upper gears (location only). At least that's my experience...usually 2 to 3 days.

However, in case any of the techs lives close by, you could ask if he/she could stop by your place to go for a ride after leting the car sit at your home for a few days.

As far as the backfire goes, that's a new one for me. Sorry.

Good luck!

John

I took it out a few times this past weekend and it doesn't seem to be when its cold, more when you are driving slow and shift to a higher gear? It could be the clutch being noisy? I don't know, its not bad and if you drive it a bit harder it shifts perfect so I will wait and see. I have a maintenance warranty so no worries if its the clutch!!!

As for the backfire, I wonder if it could be running a little rich. Maybe from sitting so long and not being driven.

I also wanted to ask, does everyone put 87 octane in their GT mustangs or would a higher octane be better? My older mustang I though used to take a higher octane.

I took it out a few times this past weekend and it doesn't seem to be when its cold, more when you are driving slow and shift to a higher gear? It could be the clutch being noisy? I don't know, its not bad and if you drive it a bit harder it shifts perfect so I will wait and see. I have a maintenance warranty so no worries if its the clutch!!!

As for the backfire, I wonder if it could be running a little rich. Maybe from sitting so long and not being driven.

I also wanted to ask, does everyone put 87 octane in their GT mustangs or would a higher octane be better? My older mustang I though used to take a higher octane.

In my Mustangs, I usually go with the 89 octane. I've been told that I could go with 87 octane, but I just prefer to use the medium and, once in a while, premium.