98 Ranger won't start

mrclem999

Hi,

I have a 98 Ranger 3.0 4wd 115,000 miles. It does not like to start in cold weather. When I start it it runs at .5 RPM's for about 30 seconds before it kicks up to 1.5 to 2.0 RPMS. Sometimes on a real cold morning when it is about 15 degrees outside it won't start at all. It just cranks starts at a very low rpm and stalls. At this point I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to start it. Any ideas what could be wrong. I have already changed the plugs and wires. I just filled the gas tank with premium fuel too.

Thank you,

Dave

1998 Ranger 3.0 4wd

2006 Mustang GT Manual

There are so many possibilities; and forgive me but you don't sound familiar with working on cars. So my suggestion is to take it to a professional or another knowledgeable person. Or at least buy a Haynes manual and follow the troubleshooting technoques in it. It's nearly impossible to diagnose engine starting issues over the internet without having someone somewhat knowledgeable on the other end.

No offense. All you're going to get here is a litany of guesses or questionable advice. Save yourself the aggravation.

Hi,

I have a 98 Ranger 3.0 4wd 115,000 miles. It does not like to start in cold weather. When I start it it runs at .5 RPM's for about 30 seconds before it kicks up to 1.5 to 2.0 RPMS. Sometimes on a real cold morning when it is about 15 degrees outside it won't start at all. It just cranks starts at a very low rpm and stalls. At this point I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to start it. Any ideas what could be wrong. I have already changed the plugs and wires. I just filled the gas tank with premium fuel too.

Thank you,

Dave

1998 Ranger 3.0 4wd

2006 Mustang GT Manual

Is it carborated or TBI! The way cars are designed is to allow them to run at an elivated RPM on start up. Then after a period (depending on the temperature) the throttle kick down will lower the RPM. On a carborated or TBI unit it is a small actuator mounted to you throttle cable near the intake. On the newer fuel injected models it is done by computer! On Fords many of these are dound and the size of a silver dollar in diameter and about an inch thick, wit a rod/plunger sticing out of it. that plunger is directly connected to your throttle linkage, and their is a small black air line connected to it because it is controlled by vacume!

Throttlekickdown.jpg

Edited by Furious1Auto

• 1 month later...
Possible causes are the MAF clean it with electrical contact cleaner, or its the IAC which supposedly can be cleaned but likely will need replacement. Due to the problem occuring cold weather I am leaning toward IAC.

Sounds MAF related to me. The IAC will sometimes get carboned up causing it to stick and can usually be cleaned out with carb cleaner. Take it to Autozone and they will check it for free.

Hi,

Thank you,

Dave

1998 Ranger 3.0 4wd

2006 Mustang GT Manual

I have the 3.0 in my ranger and it starts good in cold weather. Although it lets you know its cold and can run ragged but once it warms up, the engine quiets down and runs fine.