SVT is no more.

"But wouldn't it be better to just build cars that you didn't have to pay someone to be excited about?" -- John Colletti

-Full Story-

HOW IS IT THAT THE DIMWITS IN THE GLASS HOUSE ARE SO COMPLETELY CLUELESS? Ford seem to be in a free-fall from a total lack of common sense and ability to identify the most significant niches in the marketplace. Killing off SVT instead of expanding it is EXHIBIT A!

Ford was first among the Detroit 3 to adopt the SVT concept . . . and now it will be the first (and only) major manufacturer to abandon it. HOW STUPID CAN YOU GET?

Ford has too many "marketing" types rearranging the nameplates and not enough product experts (such as our dearly departed SVT friends) demanding excellence.

Hopefully, among the 30,000 being fired are the absolutely clueless hacks who:

1. Denied the modular DOHC from the Crown Victoria, Town Car and Grand Marquis;

2. Thought the Tempo/Topaz and the 2.3 HSC were good ideas;

3. Prevented the Aussie Falcons from coming to the U.S. market;

4. Designed the 2-seat "new" Thunderbird as a weak boulevard poser instead of a world-class Corvette beater;

5. Failed to make the DOHC 4.6 and the '03 Cobra 4.6 options for the Lincoln LS;

6. Permitted the SN-95 Mustang GT to be sold for years with only 215 horsepower (while the competition had at least 60 more);

7. Killed the SVT Focus instead of turbocharging it;

8. Killed the SVT Lightning;

9. Failed to redesign the Ranger and add V8, crew cab, and reliable turbodiesel options;

10. Allowed the 6.0 PowerStroke to market before it was ready;

11. Didn't see the potential for an SVT F-250 PowerStroke, or for SVT versions of the Explorer, Escape and Expedition, or a Shelby G.T. 350, or for a turbodiesel F-150;

12. Decided there was no need for a DOHC V8 with 4"+ bore potential, a modern 5.0/5.8, or a DOHC Modular V10;

13. Decided that cylinder deactivation, variable length intake runners, and variable cam timing were too expensive when these features are many of their competitors' vehicles;

14. Thought the Marauder would sell for over $32,000 with only 300 horsepower, fewer than a handfull of colors, insane dealer markups, and less performance than a $20,000 Camry;

15. Decided fragile hypereutectic pistons, two valves per cylinder, weak plastic manifolds, cast cranks and spindly cracked cap rods were sufficent for high performance duty (and preventing Ford from at least making the H.D. stuff optional);

16. Sent the boring Five Hundred/Montego out without a V8 or forced induction option to do battle with a score of stylish 260+ horsepower sedans (not to mention the DCX Hemis);

17. Hoarded cash during the "good times" in the 1980s and 1990s instead of developing import killers, competitive small cars and segment busters;

18. Can't see Ford's failure to build cheap, tunable, stylish and insurable subcompact performance cars prevents them from being a "playa" in the youth market;

19. Thinks a "Ford Racing" crate engine will sell in sufficient numbers with hypereutectic pistons, cast cranks and two bolt mains (failing to understand the psychology of racers and "Super Rodders");

20. Didn't fix the "second generation" Taurus when it was obvious that Accord and Camry were killing it.

21. Spec'd the MN-12 with the odd-ball 5x4.25 wheel bolt pattern instead of the "standard" 5 x 4.5;

22. Killed the Mustang SVO instead of fixing it (ISN'T THIS A FAMILIAR PATTERN NOW);

23. Changed the bellhousing bolt pattern on the Modular V8s from the "standard" 5.0/Windsor bolt pattern;

24. Keeps approving development of wholly incompatible four cylinder engines on a regular basis (Kent, EAO, Lima OHC, CVH, HSC, Zetec, Duratec) instead of picking a "universal" set of design parameters (e.g. bore spacing, bolt patterns) and continuously improving it with new technologies;

25. Couldn't figure out how to put intercooled turbos and Eaton superchargers in vehicles with real back seats and more than two doors.

There's plenty more dead wood that should go at Ford, but firing these clueless employees would be a good start!

Hmmm, April 1st is April Fools Day.

Maybe this is some type of marketing gimmick by Ford/SVT/FRPP/etc to spur up "rumors" and "talk" about their division and to generate more interest. Especially with the release of the Shelby-Cobra-GT-500 in just a few short months - you gotta wonder if that is something they have up their sleeve.

Just a wild ass guess....who knows.

History seems to indicate they are not that smart..............

I say vote with your wallet and tell when when and why you are.....

My first new car in 1966 was a "K" code 4spd notchback in Burgundy......

Ford is losing me even as I don't want to go elsewhere, elsewhere has what I want to buy.....

History seems to indicate they are not that smart..............

I say vote with your wallet and tell when when and why you are.....

My first new car in 1966 was a "K" code 4spd notchback in Burgundy......

Ford is losing me even as I don't want to go elsewhere, elsewhere has what I want to buy.....

Sad, but all too true.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Given that there's a link to Ward's about "SVT mulling Fusion, Edge models" or something...the death seems to be slightly overspoken.

well truth to be said, in FEBRUARY Ford did kill the SVT, and just planned no more SVT models for US .. or elsewhere for that matter.

In NY AUROSHOW - they reversed themselves and Fields said they willcontinue and have 2 models: Mustang and a Truck

Now in Wards Fields went further and announced Edge and Fusion SVT...

This all was hapening in Ford.. Ford did completely change his mind on SVT.. and for now .. for the better.

Igor

• 5 months later...
Funny I don't see any SVT anything at SEMA 06. Including H.T.T. at that nice free lunch you offered everybody. Shame, they really threw away about 80 000 guaranteed repeat buyers of premium product(and profit) a year....

There are at least a few GT500's at SEMA. Those are SVT products last I checked.

There are at least a few GT500's at SEMA. Those are SVT products last I checked.

I'll be at SEMA in about 12 hours, will take pics of the Ford displays. It already looks like the onlt SVT vehicle there is the GT500's, nothing else. Pretty disappointing. And I will make sure my feelings are heard by the Ford people. In fact, I think i'll cruise over to the SRT guys, ask them how many SRT vehicles they sell right now (what is it? 8-9?) and go inform Ford of this.

Ford should at least have SVT versions of the F-150, Focus, and Fusion out right now.

Edited by Blueblood

Great stuff that. Unfortunatly, the few owners that actually have them are convinced that it was all Shelby and SVT is just an interloper. Cruise on over and start a debate. Change the subject from the other area's of interest like serialized $230 floormats and scaring themselves with the supercharger(not to mention the ongoing attempts to convince themselves that paying 10-15k over the MSRP is a good thing, even though Ford see's NOT ONE PENNY of that!). As far as they are concerned, the car wouldn't exist if not for the old gent.

And the best part is yet to come. Almost two years ago I suggested that the buyers of this car, being quite different in demographic and less forgiving than the SVT diehards like myself, might be less toalerant of dealers that know from crap about cars like this. That of course as a result of FoMoCo decisions to starve SVT dealers of product and then open its two halo programs up to all dealers. Of which the original reason for SVT's limited dealer mandate was to prevent those dealers with lousy customer service to not impune the company's prestige line and corporate credibility.

Oops Its starting. I have followed with interest(all on the internet, Hmmmm) now several cases of service not going very well, and this little beauty on several(four at last count) web forums svtp/the nightmare Great stuff huh? Halo car huh? the pace car for an entire company(Ford said itself that the GT500 was to take up that role at the end of the GT program, wait, that was a non specific SVT dealer program as well , wasn't it?)