Does anyone know if there's any truth in this article? I found it on wikipedia and it says it was last updated on February 20th.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60731029/1041

I'll believe when I see it. I think most of that alleged $200 mil went to moved the Town Car at the last minute from Wixom, but I have no insider info or proof of that, just IMHO.

Ford's idea of updating the CV will probably mean a Gillette grille and the GMQ front bumper with fog lights if we're so lucky. Makes zero sense to spend a time on the Panthers at all in 2009 if they are going away in 2010...or 2012 for that matter.

I would love to see the mighty Crown Vic live on and all it would take is a refreshening. Ford has no reason to get rid of a great thing.

+1, But that makes too much sense. Even moreso with looming new CAFE standards coming in a few years rendering risky investment on an all new unproven RWD sedan platform for what will never be a Camry sales bracket that much more idiotic. :finger:

Edited by Armada Master

Ford's idea of updating the CV will probably mean a Gillette grille and the GMQ front bumper with fog lights if we're so lucky.

I have an interesting question. What is this "we" stuff? And why would you care? According to your own signature the newest car you own is almost 15 years old. And according to your own signature, you haven't owned any Fords.

If Crown Victoria had to depend on you as a customer the car would have died 20 years ago. :finger:

I have an interesting question. What is this "we" stuff? And why would you care? According to your own signature the newest car you own is almost 15 years old. And according to your own signature, you haven't owned any Fords.

If Crown Victoria had to depend on you as a customer the car would have died 20 years ago. :finger:

Since you're a day late and a dollar short to the ballgame, you're cordially invited to revisit any of my last 900 posts on here or any of my 6000 posts at CVN over the years in regards to supporting the Panther....or even better, just ask some of the :cheerleader: 's on here.

GM's B-bodies are my first choice for a domestic RWD B-O-F sedan, a Panther being second, does not mean I don't support the cars, I'm just enjoying my last B-bodies as feasible daily drivers til I have to make the switch. I'm also directly responsible for placing immediate family & friends into 8 Panthers in the past few years, 2 of those being brand new off the lot, not that any of this should be relevant to this discussion. :finger:

Edited by Armada Master

Since 2002-2003 there has been little reason to buy a new Panther, unless you want to support Ford's decontenting of the vehicle.

I'm waiting for an updated powertrain, which means I won't be buying a new Panther anytime soon.

You mean in 2002 when it got a new stronger frame????

I'll believe when I see it. I think most of that alleged $200 mil went to moved the Town Car at the last minute from Wixom, but I have no insider info or proof of that, just IMHO.

Ford's idea of updating the CV will probably mean a Gillette grille and the GMQ front bumper with fog lights if we're so lucky. Makes zero sense to spend a time on the Panthers at all in 2009 if they are going away in 2010...or 2012 for that matter.

This is my first post, but I thought I'd share these articles that may offer some insight.

At least one recent report confirms your belief that the $200 million was spent on the Town Car tooling. The Windsor Star reported this a few months ago: http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/bus...07-db5341e6b7cf

As for the freshening, Police Fleet Manager Magazine reported what Ford said at the Police Fleet Expo in September 2007. The article said, "The Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, as we know it today, will remain in production through the 2010 model year. That is, the CVPI will be made as a 2008, 2009 and 2010 model, virtually unchanged."

Full article: http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article...ls.aspx?ID=4086

"Virtually," of course, meaning for the most part, so it's still a possibility that a new grille or perhaps a new steering wheel design might make a debut (something relatively minor that's been changed before). But as for a total freshening? Based on available info, I'd say highly unlikely and that the '08 gives you an idea of what a '10 will look like.

GM's B-bodies are my first choice for a domestic RWD B-O-F sedan, a Panther being second, does not mean I don't support the cars, I'm just enjoying my last B-bodies as feasible daily drivers til I have to make the switch.

OK. I was just wondering. :reading:

After trying to figure out whether there were any substantial changes in the works for 2009, I decided that they're weren't, and went ahead and bought a new 2008 Grand Marquis LS. FYI, the main differences between the 2004 (which I just sold) and the 2008 are:

The revised transmission is a definite plus--better downshifting, and I think it holds the gears better during acceleration;

The drive-by-wire feels good. I don't notice any hesitation, and the engine overall seems stronger;

I got the Palm Beach Edition--no more fake wood! I got really tired of the fake wood in the '04. The Town Car's fake wood is passable, but not the GMs;

I like the removal of the side body molding, and the grill treatment--makes the car seem a little sleeker;

The headlights are new, and better looking. I am not sure they are brighter;

The dash now has a tach, and in general is more modern (although not as modern as it could be);

They got rid of the piece of plastic that was just above the pedals, which is great, since it got in the way of my feet;

They added a tire pressure monitor, and decontented the sunvisors and the Homelink (from three workable buttons to one, I think);

The stereo is better. I got the mid-grade, rather than the Audiophile, but the mid-grade stereo sounds good!

Overall, the 2008 is significantly better than the 2004. Great car. The only concern I have is that the ones being made now have the larger wheels and tires (17"), and I am not sure that is going to improve the handling. I got a 2008 with the 16" wheels, which went out of production in December. Since I have not driven the newest ones, with the 17" wheels, I cannot say for sure which car handles better, but I have always thought that one reason my Town Car feels so difference than the Grand Marquis is the difference in the wheels and tires. Could be wrong. :stats:

After trying to figure out whether there were any substantial changes in the works for 2009, I decided that they're weren't, and went ahead and bought a new 2008 Grand Marquis LS. FYI, the main differences between the 2004 (which I just sold) and the 2008 are:

The revised transmission is a definite plus--better downshifting, and I think it holds the gears better during acceleration;

The drive-by-wire feels good. I don't notice any hesitation, and the engine overall seems stronger;

I got the Palm Beach Edition--no more fake wood! I got really tired of the fake wood in the '04. The Town Car's fake wood is passable, but not the GMs;

I like the removal of the side body molding, and the grill treatment--makes the car seem a little sleeker;

The headlights are new, and better looking. I am not sure they are brighter;

The dash now has a tach, and in general is more modern (although not as modern as it could be);

They got rid of the piece of plastic that was just above the pedals, which is great, since it got in the way of my feet;

They added a tire pressure monitor, and decontented the sunvisors and the Homelink (from three workable buttons to one, I think);

The stereo is better. I got the mid-grade, rather than the Audiophile, but the mid-grade stereo sounds good!

Overall, the 2008 is significantly better than the 2004. Great car. The only concern I have is that the ones being made now have the larger wheels and tires (17"), and I am not sure that is going to improve the handling. I got a 2008 with the 16" wheels, which went out of production in December. Since I have not driven the newest ones, with the 17" wheels, I cannot say for sure which car handles better, but I have always thought that one reason my Town Car feels so difference than the Grand Marquis is the difference in the wheels and tires. Could be wrong. :stats:

Good purchase! Yeah, I'm kinda stumped on the switch from 16's to 17's for wheels too. I would think 17's might hurt MPG and acceleration off the line, plus add weight, hadn't even thought about the handling part of that, but then again maybe I'm just blowing smoke up someone's ass on that. :stats:

Good purchase! Yeah, I'm kinda stumped on the switch from 16's to 17's for wheels too. I would think 17's might hurt MPG and acceleration off the line, plus add weight, hadn't even thought about the handling part of that, but then again maybe I'm just blowing smoke up someone's ass on that. :stats:

I still can't understand why the need for these bigger ghettotized rims on any car or truck!

Don't people realize that the tires alone for these oddball sizes are more expensive than a conventional size from back in the day?

Let's go back to the good old days with 15" rims and plenty of rubber around them: 215/75/R15, 225/75/R15, 235/75/R15

What's wrong with that?

I was told by someone on this forum that the reason for the switch to 17" wheels was to streamline the production with the Town Car. I don't know if that's right or not; sounds plausible.

That's possible. I seem to recall reading/seeing someone point out some where than the GMQ and TC 17" alloys are actually the same or real similiar with just a different center cap. :stats:

The more sidewall you have on a tire, the more flexing the tire can do during cornering and hard maneuvers.

THis adds to body roll and sway in side to side motions, and contributes to the fishtailing effect.

Going to 17" wheels means there's more steel rim and LESS sidewall...so the car tracks and handles better.

That's why the CVPI got the bigger wheels before the civilian models. Making all the cars the same is just good business sense.

• 2 weeks later...
I still can't understand why the need for these bigger ghettotized rims on any car or truck!

Don't people realize that the tires alone for these oddball sizes are more expensive than a conventional size from back in the day?

Let's go back to the good old days with 15" rims and plenty of rubber around them: 215/75/R15, 225/75/R15, 235/75/R15

What's wrong with that?

You are SO right! :happy feet:

Taller tires ride better, are more durable and cheaper to replace. I agree the ghetto-style wheels are stupid looking.

If you want a wider footprint you can use a wider tread tire (aka 235 vs 195 or 225). The fact is most of us buy tires that are a compromise of a number of factors so that we can drive in rain, snow, or on dry pavement or gravel roads. Tires built for specific purposes (heavy equipment, farm machinery, race cars) are not practical for the average motorist. The low profile tires are mostly for show and nothing more. I am not apposed to them but believe cunsumers should be given a choice. Take the Taurus/Sable...you get either skinny sidewalls or really skinny sidewall tires depending on trim level. Why not offer say a choice of 15 inch tires and 18 inchers regardless of trim level...let the consumer choose. Or make the 18 incher the Taurus tire and a 15 or 16 inch tire the Sable tire. The "performance" oriented drive could have his buckboard ride in the Ford and the comfort oriented driver could have his boulevard ride in the Mercury. Another way to differentiate the two makes. I for one prefer a soft ride. And since I know how to drive I don't need tires that push the "limits".

Edited by LM4EVR