Finally taking my Cobra in for upgrades!!!

NickF1011

So, I have an appointment with JPC Racing in Glen Burnie, MD in a couple of weeks to drop off the '97 Cobra for some much-needed TLC.

Going to try to finish up the suspension upgrades with a tubular k-member and coil-over front setup and planning to upgrade the rear control arms.

Also there's a slew of other minor things I need addressed. Random electrical problem keeps killing the battery and the exhaust seems pretty fubar with a leak here or there.

Wish my car luck, folks!! Can't wait to get her back in good driving shape. I miss being able to take her out on road trips without fear of being left stranded with a dead battery. :happy feet:

So, I have an appointment with JPC Racing in Glen Burnie, MD in a couple of weeks to drop off the '97 Cobra for some much-needed TLC.

Going to try to finish up the suspension upgrades with a tubular k-member and coil-over front setup and planning to upgrade the rear control arms.

Also there's a slew of other minor things I need addressed. Random electrical problem keeps killing the battery and the exhaust seems pretty fubar with a leak here or there.

Wish my car luck, folks!! Can't wait to get her back in good driving shape. I miss being able to take her out on road trips without fear of being left stranded with a dead battery. :happy feet:

What brand of suspension parts (tubular k-member, coil-over front setup, rear control arms, etc.) are you going with? Suspension will be the next thing I do on mine, then maybe a supercharger or turbo...

What brand of suspension parts (tubular k-member, coil-over front setup, rear control arms, etc.) are you going with? Suspension will be the next thing I do on mine, then maybe a supercharger or turbo...

Haven't decided yet. Going to call the shop today or tomorrow and discuss the options. I'll trust their judgment -- they do pretty top notch work.

So what is your ultimate goal for the car? Post of some pics when its all done.

Will definitely post some pics when I get it back....

Ultimate goal? Well, alllll said and done, I want a somewhat comfortable and reliable street car that can handle like a beast and pull down high 11-second 1/4 miles -- all the while having a nice kicking stereo and some unique looks to go along with it.

With this next batch of mods going on soon, pretty much everything will be done EXCEPT the engine mods. I've got a few bolt-ons underhood and the exhaust is finished, but I eventually want to pull the motor, rebuild the bottom end, get the heads ported, and throw a blower on it. That ought to get me there.

Edited by NickF1011

Yeah, keep us posted on your suspension 'stuff'. Here is what I have for my Mach . . . . with more to follow.

My full list of suspension/chassis mods include . .

Welded PAE Full Length Sub-Frame Connectors

Vogtland Springs

Maximum Motorsports 4-Bolt CC Plates

Maximum Motorsports Adj. Lower Control Arms

Maximum Motorsports 4-Bolt K-Member Brace

Welded Steeda Rear Shock Tower Brace

2pt Steeda Strut Tower Brace (To Be Installed very soon.)

I do plan some additional mods in the future including . .

Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar

Bilstein

Possible Maximum Motorsports K-member/coil-over front setup

But I am very happy/pleased with my current setup . . . for now.

img_1290.jpg

Post some pictures of your Cobra when you get a chance!

Yeah, keep us posted on your suspension 'stuff'. Here is what I have for my Mach . . . . with more to follow.

My full list of suspension/chassis mods include . .

Welded PAE Full Length Sub-Frame Connectors

Vogtland Springs

Maximum Motorsports 4-Bolt CC Plates

Maximum Motorsports Adj. Lower Control Arms

Maximum Motorsports 4-Bolt K-Member Brace

Welded Steeda Rear Shock Tower Brace

2pt Steeda Strut Tower Brace (To Be Installed very soon.)

I do plan some additional mods in the future including . .

Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar

Bilstein

Possible Maximum Motorsports K-member/coil-over front setup

But I am very happy/pleased with my current setup . . . for now.

img_1290.jpg

Post some pictures of your Cobra when you get a chance!

Nice lookin' Mach 1!! :happy feet:

Here are the pics I happen to have in Photobucket at the moment:

newpligwires05-06-small.jpg

cobra425.jpg

Not very big pics, sorry!! I'll try to post some higher-def ones soon. And the exterior looks a bit different now with new headlights and the completed Roush kit on the nose.

Will be ordering the new parts shortly. Getting new k-member/a-arms, coilovers, rear control arms, and new bushings all around. Going to investigate at the shop some options for subframe connectors -- the choices are limited though with the side exhaust.

Thanks and nice looking Cobra! With a '97 and a tubular K-member will you have to get an oil filter relocation kit?

Sounds like our 'goals' for our cars are relatively similar. Though I'm shooting for low-mid 12's as opposed to 11's . . . . but if she happens to run 11's I won't complain! I've gone 12.9s on stock engine/trans/gear on DRs and am wanting to tighten her up more and drop weight before I head under the hood. I've got new 4.10s in a box but haven't put them in (debating a T56 Cobra R spec and 4.30s in the future.) Think I am just going to get a rear seat delete and aluminium drive shaft this season.

Thanks and nice looking Cobra! With a '97 and a tubular K-member will you have to get an oil filter relocation kit?

As far as I know of, no.

Sounds like our 'goals' for our cars are relatively similar. Though I'm shooting for low-mid 12's as opposed to 11's . . . . but if she happens to run 11's I won't complain! I've gone 12.9s on stock engine/trans/gear on DRs and am wanting to tighten her up more and drop weight before I head under the hood. I've got new 4.10s in a box but haven't put them in (debating a T56 Cobra R spec and 4.30s in the future.) Think I am just going to get a rear seat delete and aluminium drive shaft this season.

Oooo..you're gonna love the 4.10s. First thing I did to mine. :happy feet:

Any updates?

Just waiting on the parts to get in to the shop. Should be dropping the car off next week sometime. Can't say I even remember off the top of my head what all parts we ordered up for it. Got the k-member, a-arms, coilovers, rear control arms, and fresh bushings all around. I'll get an exact part count soon and let you know what's up!

Definitely looking forward to it though...the nice weather has been taunting me lately. :hysterical:

Just waiting on the parts to get in to the shop. Should be dropping the car off next week sometime. Can't say I even remember off the top of my head what all parts we ordered up for it. Got the k-member, a-arms, coilovers, rear control arms, and fresh bushings all around. I'll get an exact part count soon and let you know what's up!

Definitely looking forward to it though...the nice weather has been taunting me lately. :hysterical:

What brand of stuff did you go with?

Nice weather can be a bitch sometimes!! :yup: :burnout:

What brand of stuff did you go with?

Racecraft K-member and A-Arms, Strange coilovers. Can't remember off the top of my head what the rear control arms are. Think those may be Racecraft also. Guy at the shop didn't recommend most of the more common K-member stuff (QA1, Maximum Motorsports, UPR, etc) for a street car, so I followed his advice. All the parts came out to $1600, so he definitely wasn't upselling me anything by recommending the Racecraft stuff instead of the more common names I recognized.

Racecraft K-member and A-Arms, Strange coilovers. Can't remember off the top of my head what the rear control arms are. Think those may be Racecraft also. Guy at the shop didn't recommend most of the more common K-member stuff (QA1, Maximum Motorsports, UPR, etc) for a street car, so I followed his advice. All the parts came out to $1600, so he definitely wasn't upselling me anything by recommending the Racecraft stuff instead of the more common names I recognized.

Good stuff!

I definitely wanna see pics man! Sounds sweet! Good to see you're doing things the right way and buttoning her down as well as adding power. I can't even count how many punks get their ride and just start adding body kits and power, and totally ignore the other hardware. You and IMSA do your cars in the same manner I've done my past couple, so I enjoy seeing other guys get their stuff done...

Unfortunately, my stable is empty at the moment :cry: , waiting (anxiously) to see the new Pony and make a decision as to what I'm gonna do for my next ride.

IMSA, more pics too please!

Edited by OHV 16V

I wonder to what extent it may be an age thing? I never went through the phase of "pimping a ride," but definitely alotta people I know did.

Nick , I'm the same age as you (30), IMSA? May I ask?

Edited by OHV 16V

Thanks for the compliments. I do not want to hijack Nick's thread about his Cobra with additional images of my Mach, so here is a link to some additonal photos of my Mach (older wheels with DRs and newer with BBS.) (I hope you do not mind, Nick. If you do I will remove link.) And I am 34. I should have my strut tower brace on this week.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/gallery/brow...mp;userid=88390

Edited by IMSA-XJR9

Thanks for the compliments. I do not want to hijack Nick's thread about his Cobra with additional images of my Mach, so here is a link to some additonal photos of my Mach (older wheels with DRs and newer with BBS.) (I hope you do not mind, Nick. If you do I will remove link.) And I am 34. I should have my strut tower brace on this week.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/gallery/brow...mp;userid=88390

Ah heck, post all the pictures you want. I'm just glad to see SOMEBODY posting in the SVT Forum again!! :hysterical:

Drop the car off in a couple of days....woohoo!!

I'll definitely have to check out the Racecraft stuff. A friend of mine recently came into some money and he's building a shop for us to work on our cars (40' x 40', lift tools, welder, etc.). When it gets finished (slab should be poured this week), I'll be ready for some serious upgrades!

I wonder to what extent it may be an age thing? I never went through the phase of "pimping a ride," but definitely alotta people I know did.

Nick , I'm the same age as you (30), IMSA? May I ask?

I'll be 33 in a couple of weeks...

Ugh! Got a call from the shop today. K-member and A-arms are on back order. Said they probably won't have them until next week. The wait continues......... :banghead:

That licks a fishy snatch man! Sorry about your luck. I also want to apologize in case you thought I was infringing on your thread by asking IMSA for additional pics, no offense intended brother!