99 Cobra ABS caution light

supercruise

Hi, I haven't posted for a while, looks like the crowd has thinned-out? I hope this forum still has the wealth of knowledge that it used to have. Anyway just a quick question regarding the ABS caution light in my 99 vert. The manual is a bit vague describing what it means. My ABS light comes and goes intermittently ever since I made a panic stop to avoid a guy running a stop sign. It only goes on for 10-30 seconds every couple of days (no consistency).

The last thing I want to do is take it to the dealer so they can replace everything from the computer to the rotors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Check the fluid level. While checking the level, make sure the float inside the reservoir moves freely.

When was the last time you changed your brake fluid, pads, etc.?

Mike

Thanks Mike, I should re-phrase the question... what sensor(s) activate the ABS caution light? Are there multiple sensors to detect pad wear, fluid level, etc.? The manual suggests that ABS braking is disabled when the light is on.

Man has this forum dried-up or what? Where's the wealth of knowledge gone?

Took my car to the dealer and they couldn't troubleshoot the ABS system because the ABS idiot light won't stay on. They said the next time it goes on bring it back. What's with that?

C'mon you smart, practical, experienced SVT dudes... what do you know about the ABS system? Is there anything I can do to scope it out on my own? :shrug:

• 2 months later...

Here's the latest on this... the light stayed on long enough to get it to the dealer. They couldn't get an error code from the control module (no communication) so they conclude that the ABS control module needs to be replaced. The part costs $1000 from the dealer!

Has anyone had any experience with rebuilt ABS controllers from...

BBA-reman.com

Funny thing after visiting the dealer... the ABS light is no longer intermittent... it's now on constantly.

The ABS light on mine occasionally comes on after a cold-start. If I turn the engine off and back on, the light immediately goes off. Otherwise it'll stay on until I re-start the car. From what I've seen in my case, even with the ABS light lit, the ABS still functions (I had some free time one day when it happened and thought I'd check it out - it's nice having a REALLY long driveway :rockon: )

Can't say I have any suggestions for you though. Mine's WELL out of warranty and I don't see any reason to fix it in my case. Good luck finding a resolution!!

And you're right -- this place is DEAD. :titanic:

I know you will think I'm crazy, but humor me..........

When I was a Ford Service Advisor 2000-2001, another little known trigger for the ABS & oil light is the oil level in the engine, no one told me why, but topping off the engine oil will SOMETIMES put out the ABS light.

1 tech told me they share a circuit....don't know, but hey it can't hurt to check it.

Find a performance shop near you that uses Superchips and have them run the code check as a 2nd opinion,

if the ABS sensor block is truly bad, your ABS is inop....brakes still work, only not quite as good and will lock up........

Try it and see.......

• 2 months later...

I'm having the exact same problem on my 2000 Expedition EB. I noticed when it happens that I also lose my turn signals. Then the ABS light will go out and the turn signals start working again. Obviously they share a relay that is going bad. Also, it only acts up when it's really hot outside.

Maybe its just a relay that needs replacing. I would try that before spending $1000 on a new ABS controller.

I'd suggest starting with the simple stuff - battery connections, block ground. Just went through this on my SHO - never saw the ABS light before but was having basic elec troubles and *bingo* there it was. Cleaned it all up and haven't seen it since. It's easy to forget that fancy electronics need ground too.

Cheerio and glad to see some sparks of life back here!

- Jeff