Gas keeps on going up.

fantasyfrank

Today, gas jumped up to $4.19 in Indy. Will this ever end? Because if it doesn't I really wonder about the survival of Ford Motor and alot of other companies. Ford's lineup of gas efficient cars to choose from is about as long as a pretzel stick. Now, Ford is talking about retooling truck plants to make smaller cars but isn't it a tad late to get this "brillant" idea going? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have finally come to the conclusion that SUV & truck sales are going down the drain and we need to "drop back and punt" but why have they waited so long...a 5yr old kid could of seen this coming. Ford should of been retooling years ago, not just now getting the ball rolling at $250 million per plant. I use to worry myself sick about the Indy plant and it's downhill spiral, not anymore. I'm worried sick about the survival of Ford as a whole....I don't think they will make it, I really don't....too little too late. Hope I'm wrong..........

Today, gas jumped up to $4.19 in Indy. Will this ever end? Because if it doesn't I really wonder about the survival of Ford Motor and alot of other companies. Ford's lineup of gas efficient cars to choose from is about as long as a pretzel stick. Now, Ford is talking about retooling truck plants to make smaller cars but isn't it a tad late to get this "brillant" idea going? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have finally come to the conclusion that SUV & truck sales are going down the drain and we need to "drop back and punt" but why have they waited so long...a 5yr old kid could of seen this coming. Ford should of been retooling years ago, not just now getting the ball rolling at $250 million per plant. I use to worry myself sick about the Indy plant and it's downhill spiral, not anymore. I'm worried sick about the survival of Ford as a whole....I don't think they will make it, I really don't....too little too late. Hope I'm wrong..........

I couldn't agree more with you, regular gas here in Tidewater area of VA. is now ranging from $3.81 to almost $4.00 for regular.and that changes weekly only it keeps going up NOT DOWN. My own beliefs are back when gas was in the 2 to 3 dollar range it should have been a wake-up call to the big three,now GM and Chrlyser at least have jumped on the bandwagon to produce e-85 engines and my only complaint there is the fact that there only on select 6-cylinder and 8-cylinder why not make it availble on 4-cylinders as well. E-85 is not the best choice because it burns faster and the vehicles that use it get less mileage than regular gas but the plus side is E-85 is supposed to be whole lot cheaper than regular gas, and as long as you have people betting or investing in Oil futures, I don't see price's comming down anytime soon , just my opinion.

The best thing to do is not buy any fuel...in the short term. I can't accept that there is no other alternative than to buy $4.00+ fuel if I want to travel. I'm hopeful that my nine year old son wants to grow up to be a chemical engineer and design a fuel based on saltwater. Maybe I should go back to college... :hysterical:

Edited by Racin' Rick

The price will come down as soon as we start drilling for our own oil.Then their will be a surplus on the market and drive down prices

Leaving aside the politics of drilling in, say, ANWR for a minute, here's four questions that MUST be answered:

1) Who's gonna do it (federal government, state government, private industry, a consortium)?

2) How much will it cost?

3) Who's gonna pay for it?

4) How long will it take?

The price will come down as soon as we start drilling for our own oil.Then their will be a surplus on the market and drive down prices

You must be smoking some great weed if you believe that! I"m sure we'll get some of any oil that's drilled but there won't be a surplus unless it's Gov. mandated, you see It's called supply and demand and right now India and China are our biggest competiors for oil. Just look at the Alaskan Pipeline, of the oil that flows through it, only 40% comes to the U.S. the other 60% goes overseas to Japan, China, Korea and other Asian nations. As much as i would like to see the price come down I see it only going up unless we fund a alternative fuel to use that does not require gas.

You must be smoking some great weed if you believe that! I"m sure we'll get some of any oil that's drilled but there won't be a surplus unless it's Gov. mandated, you see It's called supply and demand and right now India and China are our biggest competiors for oil. Just look at the Alaskan Pipeline, of the oil that flows through it, only 40% comes to the U.S. the other 60% goes overseas to Japan, China, Korea and other Asian nations. As much as i would like to see the price come down I see it only going up unless we fund a alternative fuel to use that does not require gas.

It is supply and demand, oil is traded on the international markets and if we want to keep buying foriegn oil we'd better keep it that way. If you want to see the supply vanish then get the Gov. involved mandating what gets sold where and how much.... wait a minute, Jimmy Carter tried that I remember the gas lines. When Bush went to the Saudi's and told them they needed to pump more oil they told him to pump some of your own. We still have lots of oil in this country but most of it is off limits to the oil companies why?? ask congress

It is supply and demand, oil is traded on the international markets and if we want to keep buying foriegn oil we'd better keep it that way. If you want to see the supply vanish then get the Gov. involved mandating what gets sold where and how much.... wait a minute, Jimmy Carter tried that I remember the gas lines. When Bush went to the Saudi's and told them they needed to pump more oil they told him to pump some of your own. We still have lots of oil in this country but most of it is off limits to the oil companies why?? ask congress

I know exactly what your saying, take my home state Virginia, a couple of years ago one of our republican congress woman tried to get a off shore platform between Va. Beach and the eastern shore, shot down by the state and enviromentalists, the state and the city were afraid of lost revenue [tourists]even if you couldn't see it as it would be too far to see withy the naked eye and the enviromentalists concerned over damage to coastline, go figure.

Wrong.

When oil companies limit the supply intentionally, we get exactly the situation we're in now: ever higher prices at the pump, and record profits for the oil companies.

Think about it: if you're the CEO, or an exec, or a big-money stockholder in ExxonMobil or Shell, you're livin' large right now! You don't want more supply; you're getting filthy rich off the current system.

Here's a few facts about oil companies and refineries: http://www.citizen.org/cmep/energy_enviro_...es.cfm?ID=11829

And where are you going to fill up with the alternative fuel? The same ^%# gas stations you fill up now! So more money to big oil.If we are stuck with oil I would rather burn our own

Leaving aside the politics of drilling in, say, ANWR for a minute, here's four questions that MUST be answered:

1) Who's gonna do it (federal government, state government, private industry, a consortium)?

2) How much will it cost?

3) Who's gonna pay for it?

4) How long will it take?

1 Alaska wants to drill

2 how much will it cost if we do nothing

3 we all know that one

4 does it matter? we must start sometime

1 Alaska wants to drill

2 how much will it cost if we do nothing

3 we all know that one

4 does it matter? we must start sometime

You didn't answer the questions, you spouted right-wing talking points.

I'll ask again:

1) Who's going to do the drilling? Be specific.

2) How much is it going to cost? Give us a dollar figure.

3) Who's going to pay that cost? Will that cost be reflected in the price of gasoline?

4) How long will it take? 1 year? 5 years? 10?

I'll ask again:

3) Who's going to pay that cost? Will that cost be reflected in the price of gasoline?

Wonderful debate technique. Ask stupid... inane... unanswerable questions. Then when someone tries to answer them... tell them they didn't answer them and ask again.

Wonderful debate technique. Ask stupid... inane... unanswerable questions. Then when someone tries to answer them... tell them they didn't answer them and ask again.

A typical response from a clueless moron: don't answer legitimate questions---attack a "technique."

A typical response from a clueless moron: don't answer legitimate questions---attack a "technique."

Guilty as charged...I am dumb as a stump. Maybe you can help me out. What are your cost projections for your hypothetical(fantasy) oil exploration venture...?

Edited by S.Knight

I'll ask again:

1 how the fuck would I know and I donnt care

2 same as 1

3 tax payers ALWAYS pay the bill dumbass

4 depends on where the drilling is

5 No one has decided on what the alternative fuel is,so we are still on oil. lets burn our own

Wrong.

When oil companies limit the supply intentionally, we get exactly the situation we're in now: ever higher prices at the pump, and record profits for the oil companies.

Think about it: if you're the CEO, or an exec, or a big-money stockholder in ExxonMobil or Shell, you're livin' large right now! You don't want more supply; you're getting filthy rich off the current system.

Here's a few facts about oil companies and refineries: http://www.citizen.org/cmep/energy_enviro_...es.cfm?ID=11829

Right... it's the "oil companies"... or maybe Bush... or Cheney. Do you realize how many exec's would have to agree to this for it to occur.? Even small groups of goverments like OPEC have had a hard time doing this for very long. Lately OPEC has been more successful because of the relative stability in the middle east. Do oil companies benifit from having the oil producing countries reduce supply... of course but they don't control it, if an individual oil company cuts production someone else takes their market share.

Right... it's the "oil companies"... or maybe Bush... or Cheney. Do you realize how many exec's would have to agree to this for it to occur.? Even small groups of goverments like OPEC have had a hard time doing this for very long. Lately OPEC has been more successful because of the relative stability in the middle east. Do oil companies benifit from having the oil producing countries reduce supply... of course but they don't control it, if an individual oil company cuts production someone else takes their market share.

what happen to the oil we were SUPPOSED to get from Iraq, you know what bush made a speech about to pay for the war, it seems to me had we gotten it, bush wouldn't had to keep going to congress for more money.

what happen to the oil we were SUPPOSED to get from Iraq, you know what bush made a speech about to pay for the war, it seems to me had we gotten it, bush wouldn't had to keep going to congress for more money.
Holy Moly....best thread I have ever read.......DING DING DING.......we have a winner......hats off to tblbhellifiknow !!!!!!

So, the oil companies aren't making record profits? Oil company CEO's aren't making obscene, record salaries & bonuses?

Are you still paying $1.50 for a gallon of gas?