So...How much did you want to pay for that?

nilkilla

And people complained about GT500 mark up...

how about 2-3 TIMES MSRP for ZR1?

he 2009 Corvette ZR1, GM's new mega-powered super car, will reportedly only be offered to the top 338 Chevy dealers nationwide. That effectively shuts out the other 3,594 from the chance of offering one to enthusiastic fans of the bowtied brand. We guess that explains the four-times-the-price gouging we're hearing about from potential customers. That's right, although the 638 HP 2009 ZR1 gets a price tag of $103,300 ($105,000 with the $1,700 gas guzzler tax) and Corvette engineers asking dealers to respect the MSRP, we've received at least one report from a reader of being told that despite his down payment 2 1/2 years ago, he'd have to put up between two and four times the MSRP to get one in his garage. If that number is accurate, the street price will be somewhere between $206,600 and $413,200 for Zee Really fast One. Full report from our tipster looking for recourse from someone — anyone — after the jump.

"I put a deposit down for the 2009 ZR1 about 2 1/2 years ago at "my" chevy dealer from whom I have bought many GM cars, including trucks, vettes. I have probably bought 15+ GM vehicles over the years. I was told 2 1/2 years ago that the price for this "iffy" car would be around the same ratio as the 5K overcharge I paid for my 2006 Z06.

I was called to order my ZR1 yesterday since I was #1 on the allocation list of this dealer's 4 allocations. I was told that by the way the price would be between 2-4 times the MSRP. Tadge Juechter, the Chief of Corvette Engineering, has urged GM ZR1 dealers to respect the MSRP. I am very upset with the greed and disregard for customer loyalty in a down economy. Is there any recourse?"

And people complained about GT500 mark up...

how about 2-3 TIMES MSRP for ZR1?

still facinates me how people moan and complain and throw down the "I am a loyal Chevy customer " etc etc....are they stupid? do they think that because they previously purchased a MASS production car that they are ENTITLED to the deal of the century on a vehicle of LIMITED supply.....?????? the SAME guys are the ones that seem to enjoy jumping from dealer to dealer looking for the BEST deal crying the economy, or, one of the best : "hey I'll buy the car to improve your numbers" favor at midnight last day of the month brigade....or "bet you are giving these away right now".....gimme a break....all dealers do it...REGARDLESS OF BRAND...call it revenge for all the paper carrying loss leader seeking "I won't pay MSRP for anything crowd"....dealer is ALWAYS the bad guy getting as much for HIS property as he rightfully can....yes some enthusiasts miss out, and the rich guy gets the ride...but look at it THIS way...he PAYS for an item he deems affordable...the whiners take umbrage....I would like a house with an ocean veiw for the same as a 909'er as well.....and i wont pay more than you did 20 years ago...do we have a deal?

still facinates me how people moan and complain and throw down the "I am a loyal Chevy customer " etc etc....are they stupid? do they think that because they previously purchased a MASS production car that they are ENTITLED to the deal of the century on a vehicle of LIMITED supply.....?????? the SAME guys are the ones that seem to enjoy jumping from dealer to dealer looking for the BEST deal crying the economy, or, one of the best : "hey I'll buy the car to improve your numbers" favor at midnight last day of the month brigade....or "bet you are giving these away right now".....gimme a break....all dealers do it...REGARDLESS OF BRAND...call it revenge for all the paper carrying loss leader seeking "I won't pay MSRP for anything crowd"....dealer is ALWAYS the bad guy getting as much for HIS property as he rightfully can....yes some enthusiasts miss out, and the rich guy gets the ride...but look at it THIS way...he PAYS for an item he deems affordable...the whiners take umbrage....I would like a house with an ocean veiw for the same as a 909'er as well.....and i wont pay more than you did 20 years ago...do we have a deal?

People who pay this sort of money are crazy. When the old ZR1s became available back in 90-95, many people paid over sticker and put the vehicles away thinking they might be worth alot of money someday. They're not appreciating and have lost their original owners a ton of money. They may be great cars and a bargain for the money today but it will be a while before they are viewed as classics. And a lot of low or no mileage versions are still available. Same with today's Z06, a car which just a couple of years ago was demanding a premium can now be had for less than sticker.

And if you really feel the need to go fast NOW, there's always Lingenfelter....

Edited by bb62

A fool and his money are soon parted. You would think eventually that these idiots would realize that there is no modern car that is going to go up in value.

Hey, if I had enough money that I wouldn't give a crap about parting with some of it, I'd be in line to "overpay" for one too. These buyers aren't buying them because they think it's an investment (most of the people who can afford this are likely savvy enough with their investments to know better). Most people are buying them because they really WANT one. If you can afford it, hey, have fun with it.

Hey, if I had enough money that I wouldn't give a crap about parting with some of it, I'd be in line to "overpay" for one too. These buyers aren't buying them because they think it's an investment (most of the people who can afford this are likely savvy enough with their investments to know better). Most people are buying them because they really WANT one. If you can afford it, hey, have fun with it.

While that's generally true, the first generation ZR1 had more than a couple thousand bought practically to live their lives in their delivery plastic. To me it's just a waste that these people didn't enjoy the car for what it is and now that the new thing is in town it just lessens the value. And the money they want now for those examples for sale (always a few on "ZR1net") means these people threw away half the puchase price of the car.

While that's generally true, the first generation ZR1 had more than a couple thousand bought practically to live their lives in their delivery plastic. To me it's just a waste that these people didn't enjoy the car for what it is and now that the new thing is in town it just lessens the value. And the money they want now for those examples for sale (always a few on "ZR1net") means these people threw away half the puchase price of the car.

Well that's their own stupidity then. Of course, people throw away half the value of their cars every day...just not on such a grand scale. If they can afford it, who cares?

When I sold the GT(40)'s, the first few that payed 100k+ more were 'car in a bubble' types. The enthusiasts came out the 2nd year and payed a reasonable amount over sticker, $30-40kish. This is not a McLaren, Bugatti, or the like-I don't even consider it as exclusive as the GT, this is based on a production Chevy. The true one-offs deserve stupid money. I don't believe the GT500's are worth the initial insanity either. Most people with big bucks are quite shrewd when it comes to spending it, unless its 'new money' i.e. lottery/entertainers/sports figures.

Edited by kevinb120