New to the board and to Ford

Hey guys,

I am about to purchase a 08 F250 King Ranch 4x4 diesel. It will be my first Ford and my first truck. I've previously had only Jeep SUV's.

I will be mainly using the truck for driving around town and to job locations. I work in the oil patch. I won't be doing much towing until I get a boat which is a year or two away.

I was wanting to know if anyone has any advise or recommendations for my purchase. Thanks. I plan on buying it in about two weeks when I get home from my current job.

Welcome to the world of Ford trucks, I greatly advise you to avoid the Diesel and go with the V10 which will deliver similar fuel economy, lower maintence costs, will be a 600 option instead of 7000, and will most likely have less problems. The new diesels are held back by the DPF crap that they are now required to put on which cuts fuel economy down to nothing. My freind has a new 6.4 and he was getting about 8-12 mpg with the DPF still on but after deleting it and adding a tune we were able to get 22 mpg on the highway cruising at 70 on the highway last week. Other than the subpar mialege and complexity of the 6.4 the Superduty is an awesome truck that stays true to its roots of being a true truck.

Edited by 94bronco

Thanks 94 Bronco.

I will look into the V10. I have always heard the Ford diesel engines run forever. What kind of mileage can one expect with the v10?

The V10 drinks lots of gas also. While it does better on fuel economy when unloaded, it drops off fast when loaded or towing a trailer.

Diesels pretty much get the same fuel economy no matter what the payload.

IMHO, the current diesel is way to big for a F-250. The 4.4L will go in the F-250 and get much better fuel economy and still have plenty of power, but it will probably be 2011MY before you can get one.

Thanks 94 Bronco.

I will look into the V10. I have always heard the Ford diesel engines run forever. What kind of mileage can one expect with the v10?

Ford's diesels (built by International) have been an up and down affair with the older 7.3 powerstroke being regarded as a battletank of a motor that kept going while the 6.0 that replaced it has a very bad reputation for reliability. The 6.4 seems to be ok for reliability so far but it is probably still too early to tell but it is true that the 6.4 has a whole lot more stuff to go wrong than the older diesels. Mialege for the V10 seems to be about 10-14 while the diesels seem to be below 10 in stock form, The big difference in price is also something to look at as the V10 can save you around 6500 and still have plenty of power to do almost anything one would need to do.

:happy feet: :happy feet:

I have a 2004 XLT with the infamous "Sick" Litre. It has actually been rock solid. I really wanted to get a V10, but my wife wanted a Diesel due to the mileage.

The V10 is a strong motor, gas is cheaper than diesel, lower maintenance cost, and saving around 6 Grand will purchase alot of fuel!!!

Back in 2004 I ran the numbers, showed my wife, and she still wanted the diesel. :banghead:

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the truck, I just do not see that the Diesel was really worth the cost for what actual towing and hauling we do.

I know you will enjoy your new truck no matter what you decide. :shades:

Edited by danglin

:happy feet: :happy feet:

I have a 2004 XLT with the infamous "Sick" Litre. It has actually been rock solid. I really wanted to get a V10, but my wife wanted a Diesel due to the mileage.

The V10 is a strong motor, gas is cheaper than diesel, lower maintenance cost, and saving around 6 Grand will purchase alot of fuel!!!

Back in 2004 I ran the numbers, showed my wife, and she still wanted the diesel. :banghead:

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the truck, I just do not see that the Diesel was really worth the cost for what actual towing and hauling we do.

I know you will enjoy your new truck no matter what you decide. :shades:

I am definetly going to drive the v10 now before I buy. I put a phone call in to my friend's dad who I consider to be Mr Ford F250. His input and yall's on here is what I will base my decision on, provided both engines drive the basically the same.

Thanks again to all.

I just purchased a new '08 V10. Its not a Kings Ranch, but it is a loaded Lariat, with Navigation and the DVD.

The truck has plenty of power. 362hp and 457lbft is pretty stout. When she opens up, after 10K miles or so (typical with Ford gas engines), mileage will improve, and there will be even more power.

We thought of getting a lightly used '08 diesel (tons of them out there, and the prices are good), but my husband drives big diesels for a living. He just was not thrilled with the particulates filter (look into it) that is on that thing, and the implications of the regen process that burns so hot. It is a great engine, that is being ruined by emissions, much as large truck diesels are (lots of problems).

This is my daily driver also. I have always loved the V10, and been a bit surprised that they are so unheralded, because they really are the best of both worlds. Unless you are going to tow huge weights, all the time, it really is the best compromise. The towing limits on my truck are 12,500 for a conventional trailer, and 13,900 for a 5th wheel. That is certainly enough for anything I will ever do, which will include a TT and a boat in the future.

The V10 has just been completely reliable. You really don't hear about them, because people don't have any problems with them. People who own them, swear by them, and would never have anything else.

So, good luck on your decision. Let us know what you decide. I will tell you that highly optioned V10's are not the easiest things to find. The one we bought was the only one in AZ with Nav and DVD............ and there are alot of trucks sold in AZ. Yes, the new KR's are beautiful. :)