NAP still a symbol of quality

F250

LINK

On Ford's site today clicked on the Quality home page and got a big 'ol picture of NAP taken on the last day June 28, 2007. Final truck is in the crowd with sign on top.

quality-splashimg.jpg

NAP now a symbol of empty for over 2 years. NAP was a good quality plant but KCAP ran at the same quality as them and we were both behind the mexico plants. Bottom line is, Quality does not mean shit in this line of work, or you would still be open, and KCAP would be in a lot better shape than it is.

NAP now a symbol of empty for over 2 years. NAP was a good quality plant but KCAP ran at the same quality as them and we were both behind the mexico plants. Bottom line is, Quality does not mean shit in this line of work, or you would still be open, and KCAP would be in a lot better shape than it is.

Exactly.

I'm sure "paris" will jump in here with the same tired, old bs about "quality will protect jobs."

I have to disagree with the kcap running at the same quality as nap. It was never close, but the bottom line didnt have a thing to do with quality you are right on that one. I just dont understand why they dont implement the quality standards of nap at other plants. Dtp quality is a joke and that will be the last plant to close what a sad sign of this company

I have to disagree with the kcap running at the same quality as nap. It was never close, but the bottom line didnt have a thing to do with quality you are right on that one. I just dont understand why they dont implement the quality standards of nap at other plants. Dtp quality is a joke and that will be the last plant to close what a sad sign of this company

Anyone can play the numbers....Were beter than your are, c'mon. Just how many (%) trucks did NAP build that were not fleet trucks? We may never know. I do know this, Joe public ( not fleet customers ) will take a magnifying glass to there investment and always find something.....

Anyone can play the numbers....Were beter than your are, c'mon. Just how many (%) trucks did NAP build that were not fleet trucks? We may never know. I do know this, Joe public ( not fleet customers ) will take a magnifying glass to there investment and always find something.....

I have to address the "Norfolk work/fleet truck" rumor that is so persistant on Blue Oval. Norfolk launched both the PN96 and the P221. Do you seriously think Ford launched its flagship line with white, rubber mat, regular cab work truck's? The only fleets Norfolk built were for U-Haul because the owners only wanted them built at Norfolk, but that was in the 460 engine days, before the '96 came along. When ford built DTP - without the ability to build regular cabs, 8' beds, and manual windows - someone had to build those units. Then, once Norfolk recieved news of the original '09 close/idle date, work trucks and the V6 went to NAP. From then on, DuPont might have as well shipped nothing but white paint to Norfolk. However, prior to DTP, the vast majority of the trucks Norfolk produced were XLT's, Eddie Bauer's, then Lariat's(Norfolk even built the Harley Davidson's and the infamous NASCAR). Norfolk did not gain its reputation for quality after DTP was built, but instead NAP was known for quality for decades. Hopefully this misconception can be put to rest.

I have to address the "Norfolk work/fleet truck" rumor that is so persistant on Blue Oval. Norfolk launched both the PN96 and the P221. Do you seriously think Ford launched its flagship line with white, rubber mat, regular cab work truck's? The only fleets Norfolk built were for U-Haul because the owners only wanted them built at Norfolk, but that was in the 460 engine days, before the '96 came along. When ford built DTP - without the ability to build regular cabs, 8' beds, and manual windows - someone had to build those units. Then, once Norfolk recieved news of the original '09 close/idle date, work trucks and the V6 went to NAP. From then on, DuPont might have as well shipped nothing but white paint to Norfolk. However, prior to DTP, the vast majority of the trucks Norfolk produced were XLT's, Eddie Bauer's, then Lariat's(Norfolk even built the Harley Davidson's and the infamous NASCAR). Norfolk did not gain its reputation for quality after DTP was built, but instead NAP was known for quality for decades. Hopefully this misconception can be put to rest.

Point is we had three plants building F-150's, and someone at either of those plants THINKS they built the best quality, all depends on which day of the week you look at, we all know Body, paint, trim or chasis has a problem now and then, no one is perfect, ( hell i've seen my share of pop rivets if you know what I mean ), so keep your opinions to yourself unless you have verifiable #'s. What I don't get is when you have 3 plants building the same product why does one plant need more than 100 people verses the other to do the same things?????? Seems to me just about every FORD product is high quality these days, so IF yours is better than the other only means they have improved, not that the other plant is building shit.. Theres always room for IMPROVEMENT...

Edited by kalu

How many in that picture do you think wish they would have transfered?

Probably not as many as you think. ;o)

I believe that most of the Nappers would have worked for much less money, just to keep that plant running. It was more than just a job to them. They took alot of pride in their work and their quality standards. It still shows through today on these message boards and in the plants they have transferred to. Over the years we all saw the company #'s on the closed circuit TV's throughout the plants. We all had meetings where we compared the data from each plant regarding strengths and weaknesses openly. Even when NAP was helping other plants (with brighter futures) improve their quality, they never gave it a second thought. They wanted Ford to be the best. If every plant had that type of employee, this company would have been better off. I'm not saying that the plants today don't have the same attitude we saw at NAP. I'm just saying more of these type of employees only make Ford stronger.

My advice for the Ford faithful, do what has to be done for the business, because without it...you're out of a job. Also, don't rely on our Federal Government to bail out the auto industry. History shows us that there are plenty of bankrupt businesses that have gone down that road...with and without a union.

Point is we had three plants building F-150's, and someone at either of those plants THINKS they built the best quality, all depends on which day of the week you look at, we all know Body, paint, trim or chasis has a problem now and then, no one is perfect, ( hell i've seen my share of pop rivets if you know what I mean ), so keep your opinions to yourself unless you have verifiable #'s. What I don't get is when you have 3 plants building the same product why does one plant need more than 100 people verses the other to do the same things?????? Seems to me just about every FORD product is high quality these days, so IF yours is better than the other only means they have improved, not that the other plant is building shit.. Theres always room for IMPROVEMENT...

You are right , I guess this isn't the place for opinion's !,so I will give you a verifiable #. H ow does 18-months sound? Ya! That is how many months your dumb ass has been here in alaska jack-ass.!!!.Who gives a crap about paper trails ,quality,it's just #ers and we all know the only number ford gives a shit about is how many union brothers and sisters they can replace with low tier employees!LETS ALL IMPROVE AND WORK TOGETHER AND ( BULLSHIT! IT'S ALL BULLSHIT AND 600 SUCKS)

You are right , I guess this isn't the place for opinion's !,so I will give you a verifiable #. H ow does 18-months sound? Ya! That is how many months your dumb ass has been here in alaska jack-ass.!!!.Who gives a crap about paper trails ,quality,it's just #ers and we all know the only number ford gives a shit about is how many union brothers and sisters they can replace with low tier employees!LETS ALL IMPROVE AND WORK TOGETHER AND ( BULLSHIT! IT'S ALL BULLSHIT AND 600 SUCKS)

How do you go from quality to union workers being replaced, GET OVER IT, NAP is GONE, asshole.....

How do you go from quality to union workers being replaced, GET OVER IT, NAP is GONE, asshole.....

Hey dick nose! Your the ass wipe talking about quality!Stick your rivet gun up your ass and see if you can get a quality rivet there! I dont care about quality,ford doesn't either! Your the one counting rivets jack wad. Who cares how many more people one plant needs to do the same job at another?Seems to me every ford product is high quality! Your a idiot!!!

Hey dick nose! Your the ass wipe talking about quality!Stick your rivet gun up your ass and see if you can get a quality rivet there! I dont care about quality,ford doesn't either! Your the one counting rivets jack wad. Who cares how many more people one plant needs to do the same job at another?Seems to me every ford product is high quality! Your a idiot!!!

Damn, who pissed in your corn flakes, quality! Read the paper MUCH, (read the thread header) ,sorry your not ENJOYING your new job, don't worry, maybe things will turn around for you, NOT...Sucks to be you HUH, all pissed off and not a F@#$^%$ thing you can do about it. Should have taken the buyout BITCH.... Do you even remember what this thread is HEADLINED as??? My guess is NO. Enjoy your new found friends at 600, ha, ha... :cheerleader:

Just thought it interesting that Ford selected this picture of NAP for their quality home page 1 year after they closed it.

Stating that NAP had an outstanding quality reputation and a proud workforce does not put any other plant down. I don't know why some people around here take offense whenever the old Norfolk plant is mentioned.

Like nappyhead said two of the most successful F-150s of all time the PN96 and P221 were launched on schedule by NAP. How is the P415 launch going?

NAPtraveler summed it up:

I believe that most of the Nappers would have worked for much less money, just to keep that plant running. It was more than just a job to them. They took alot of pride in their work and their quality standards.

Just thought it interesting that Ford selected this picture of NAP for their quality home page 1 year after they closed it.

Stating that NAP had an outstanding quality reputation and a proud workforce does not put any other plant down. I don't know why some people around here take offense whenever the old Norfolk plant is mentioned.

Like nappyhead said two of the most successful F-150s of all time the PN96 and P221 were launched on schedule by NAP. How is the P415 launch going?

NAPtraveler summed it up:

The launch is going fine just so you know. Don't think for one second that just because NAP is not running that is the reason there is a slow launch. If you lookied at each part of the vehicle you would see lots of differences in the changes they made.

Oh and we have some supervisors from nap at DTP and please don't forget that. Like someone said earlier let NAP go. As far as I can remember you have a select few that do care about what they do and that is at any plant. Well the 4 I have been at anyway...

The launch is going fine just so you know. Don't think for one second that just because NAP is not running that is the reason there is a slow launch. If you lookied at each part of the vehicle you would see lots of differences in the changes they made.

I understand the delay with the curent inventory levels, but switching the lead plant at the last minute from DTP to KCAP is...unusual. And the P415 is a major refresh not an all new truck like the P221 and PN96 were.

I understand the delay with the curent inventory levels, but switching the lead plant at the last minute from DTP to KCAP is...unusual. And the P415 is a major refresh not an all new truck like the P221 and PN96 were.

There is more to the vehicle than the skin. The electrical and components.

There is more to the vehicle than the skin. The electrical and components.

Job 1 is August 18th, for KCAP. There is an integrated ( roll bar ) saftey sytem as well, running from the radiator support all through the DOP. They say you can put a Tundra on the roof.

Edited by kalu