4 cylinder EcoBoost in a F150?

timmm55

The value of the EB 4 is that it gives you power when you need it and saves fuel when you don't need power.

I would think in an F-150, it would be short on power and you would be lucky to get 5% to 10% fuel savings since you will be pushing the engine most of the time.

In a Focus, you would get plenty of power and 20% fuel savings.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they'll use two (turbos) in heavier (I4) applications and keep the single one for smaller cars like the Fusion and Focus?

Not likely.

The point of a turbo is to boost pressure inside the combustion chamber (and hopefully not have pre-ignition). You can only boost pressure so far before head gaskets and other things start failing (Diesels are designed for high pressures.)

The purpose of 2 small turbos is to spin up quicker than 1 big turbo. But the turbo on an I4 is already "small" and making them "tiny" just is too difficult (expensive). Remember these things have their own oil supply and are water cooled.

I would think in an F-150, it would be short on power and you would be lucky to get 5% to 10% fuel savings since you will be pushing the engine most of the time.

You are not thinking "niche"! Like maybe 5% of the entire volume.

The "parts truck" is the perfect application. 95% of it life its will drive around with nothing more than 1 person and some "parts" (like an exhaust system) in the back. Probably wouldn't be able to tow more than 2.000 lbs.

You are not thinking "niche"! Like maybe 5% of the entire volume.

The "parts truck" is the perfect application. 95% of it life its will drive around with nothing more than 1 person and some "parts" (like an exhaust system) in the back. Probably wouldn't be able to tow more than 2.000 lbs.

I am thinking of the wieght of the truck empty. Add the aero drag and drag of the big tires.