Ford Focus Future

grimesdr

While some of you think the new Focus is the best thing since Apple pie, I think it is Bland compared to the Europe & Australia Focus.

Ford needs to have one Focus design for everywhere it is sold . :finger:

The focus will become a global car in 2010 CY approx. Until that time, we have the current Focus, a very good car that is selling well.

While some of you think the new Focus is the best thing since Apple pie, I think it is Bland compared to the Europe & Australia Focus.

First off, have you ever driven a new Focus? Secondly, have you driven a Euro Focus to compare it with the US model? Thirdly, you never miss something you never had.

First off, have you ever driven a new Focus? Secondly, have you driven a Euro Focus to compare it with the US model? Thirdly, you never miss something you never had.

there is one more thing he needs to do: SEE THE EU FOCUS IN PERSON

as some people here know already - I am currently in EU ... and if there ever was a car to epitomize the "4x4 looking car" the Focus is that - tiny wheels, giant wheel wells, GIANT wheel gap. It sits high, it is bland as Corolla and completely disappears among the better looking Astras, Meganes, Civics (EU specific), C4

's and other small cars available here. The Wagons and 5 door hatches make up lion's chare of the small car market here, and those are the two trims where the Focus looks the worst.

The facelift helped some, but it can only do so much with a bland jelly bean look.

That said, it has an interior way above the US Focus - it also is much larger than the US Focus (wider) and is available with some banging engines, as well as the hot ST, RS, and CC forms. The EU Focus is great in its well rounded lineup. If you are in EU there is very little it does not offer.

IT has the "black mirrors and handles" stripper model with puny gas I4, it has the super duper econetic diesel, it had the navigation, HID headlamps and what not available, it has a 3 door hartch, sedan, 5 door hatch, and a wagon, and the ST, RS and CC versions on top of it, etc etc etc ...

but if you just take a mainstram 2.0l I4 (or 1.8l I4) Focus sedan from EU (or Mexico) and compare it to the run of the mill Focus from US with the 2.0l etc ... the differences are WAY smaller than people think. This will not be shiny car professionally photographed to look good. This will be the same car as in US with 16" wheels (maybe wheel covers, Europeans do not seem to care much for hte wheels) reflector headlamps, single or six CD inside, etc etc.

I once said it - the C1 is a much more grown up car - it is more comfortable and quieterr and better executed. However it is not "better" - if you like crisp handling, the lighter, smaller original chassis we use here handles better. But it does not have soft touch inside, it does not have the quietness of the C1, and it does not have the polished (bland) look of the C1

Of course, all this is a moot point - as of April 2010 there will only be one Focus around thwe world - an all new 3rd generation Focus - and it will be built and sold in USA as well.

Igor

you're right Igor, I think the EU focus has nothing special in term of styling. The european Ford design began to be really good in 2006 with the beginning of the S-Max/Galaxy !

You can also have a look at the current fiesta/ EU Fusion ! really boring cars compare to the new generation ! It is good now that US and the whole world will have global product.

By the way, Igor, do you know if the C-max will be produced before end of 2011 in the US. I have read that it should begin end of 2009 in europe and I have read that the US will get it only at the end of 2011 (or 2 years after). I can understand why the fiesta is late (and it is 1 year and half) but the C2 platform should be produce in time.

Igor, is it an error ?? I think it should be intelligent (from a factory point of view) to launch both focus and c max at the same time in the US.

you're right Igor, I think the EU focus has nothing special in term of styling. The european Ford design began to be really good in 2006 with the beginning of the S-Max/Galaxy !

You can also have a look at the current fiesta/ EU Fusion ! really boring cars compare to the new generation ! It is good now that US and the whole world will have global product.

By the way, Igor, do you know if the C-max will be produced before end of 2011 in the US. I have read that it should begin end of 2009 in europe and I have read that the US will get it only at the end of 2011 (or 2 years after). I can understand why the fiesta is late (and it is 1 year and half) but the C2 platform should be produce in time.

Igor, is it an error ?? I think it should be intelligent (from a factory point of view) to launch both focus and c max at the same time in the US.

to my understanding, the C-Max was to begin production even before Focus - so in very early 2010. However I did hear once that they will lump the C-Max and Kuga production together in Claymoco, so they will wait for the Global Kuga in 2011 to intro the C-Max into US .... At this point I do not know, but the C-Max would be a good segway car to start the US C1 lines at slow speed, to break in the tools and what not ;) before htey have to go full tilt with the Focus.

We shall see.

Igor

Igor, that exactly what I though, the C max is a good start for the C1 tools.

Igor, no new about the Ecosport/ EU fusion, do you have some news about this one ? FY2011 ?

expected, but we will not hear about it for a while. even if you asked Ford today, they would say no comment. I assume we will find out a LOT more in about 8 motnhs or so ... especially as the concepts of these future small cars start trickling into the AutoShows ... Fusion and EcoSport are both due for replacement - so the questions will have to be answered soon. BTW do not expect the two to look alike anymore - Fusion will likely become a "B-Max" and have a traditional MPV Look, while EcoSport keeps its SUV pretense.

The times just got better for the Ford fan there will be a lot of good stuff at the shows and then in the showroom.

Igor

Edited by igor

You know what, though? Even after the global Focus comes into being, there will still be those who compare it to something else and complain about it.

I, personally, am hoping that we will bet the Focus Cabriolet (perhaps as a Mercury). However, until then, I will enjoy driving around in my 2008 Focus.

Igor I resepct your opinion on the differences between C170 and C1 Foci, but I must say I disagree with your comment on the C170 being a better driving car.

Both Foci are the best in their segment as far as dynamics, but in my opinion and from owning both North American C170 and C1 Focus, I find the C1 a better corner carving machine. I always found my C170 ZX5's is be very top heavy feeling ,and give quite a rolly polly feeling in the corners. The C170 does feel lighter for sure but not as planted as my C1.

If I could put a term to it I would say my C1 feels more Germanic in the dynamics department.

I just got back from being in Canada for 3 weeks and was driving my brothers MY07 ZX5 and was reminded of the large dfferences in the feeling, build quality and the IMO lack of built in substance.

Your comment on the euro Foci driver not caring about nice wheels seems odd to me, especially when Ford EU gives at least 7-8 rim choices and 15" to 18" wheel size choices.

Maybe its the EU market place you are visiting, but were I am a high percentage of the Foci drivers dress their cars up quite nicely.

Also totally disagree with your comment on the Astra being a better looking car then the Focus. But looks are subjective and being so I think the current Focus looks very good especially the wagon.

And btw if you think the handling is not up to your taste, Ford EU does offer the sport suspension as an option on some trim levels.

I should mention that I also have my (EU) MY2002 C170 Focus here in Estonia that I can compare and remind myself of the differences between the 2 platforms.

Just to add, as far as the EU Focus styling I must point out "at least you know when you see one that it is a "Focus".

Seeing the MY2008 version in Canada was weird because at first glance my mind did not think Focus. Even though I know what the car is from pictures etc, my 1st thought was not of a Ford product.

Edited by MKII

To most of us older folks (I’m 47) the Focus is my commuter car. I drive about 170 miles a day and My Freestyle was getting a little expensive to drive everyday. So we started driving my old 2000 Focus. It had 100,000 miles on it and it was a manual tranny LX no frills car. After about a month of the old Focus we decided to get a new one. Went to the dealer last month and they had four 08s on the lot. Only one was an SES so we got it. Didn’t care what color it was (Silver Frost, just like my old 00 Focus and my old 03 Ranger). I didn’t care about the wheels or the handling. As long as it had wheels and didn’t fly off of the road, I knew that I would be able to put 150,000 miles on it in the next three years then sell it to some kid for $1000.00 like we did the old one. I did care about the ABS and all of the crap inside (Cruise control, SYNC . . .) because when you spend 3 to 4 hours a day in your car you need to be comfortable. I really didn’t care about the stupid ambient lighting option that was in the car. It’s a $295.00 option that lights up your cup holders and foot wells in a variety of different colors. Three dollars worth of parts turns into a $300.00 dollar option that serves absolutely no purpose. I’ve only got a little over 5000 miles on the 08 and it rides and handles like most of the small cars I’ve driven. It’s no way near as comfortable as my Freestyle, but I didn’t expect it to be. I’ve been getting between 32 and 37 MPG depending on the traffic. Depending on fuel prices in 2011 I’ll probably get another one But I will always have something a little bigger in the garage for the weekends.

mkII,

I understand what you are saying about the EU. I do not want to go into a debate regarding the driving impression. But the 2004 EU focus was not very good in term of styling !

the new kinetic design has started from the 2006 S-max and now it is expanding to the rest of Ford line-up.

For sure, the Eu focus is a very very good car but once again, it is not a beautiful car (even with the resyling). Of course, I am happy that the restyling was not deep so that Ford can bring a brand new global kinetic focus within 2 years now and sold it as a global product everywhere !

I hope this one will combine the kinetic look and the performance of the current EU version. It should be a hit everywhere.

Umm, welcome to last week? Where do some get the old idea that there will be NO shared Focus coming in 2010? Cant people read news reports?

Also, can people stop complaining about 4 years ago when C170 stuck around, or even the 2008? The new one is a huge hit, may surpass the 2000 model sales #'s. It's good enough until the C346 cars come in 2 years.

Cant just bring over current C1's tomorrow, by the time they are Federalized, the C346 will be online.

Stop beating dead horse, you're getting your new Focus to be shared globally, so move on.

Edited by 630land

630land,

I completely agree with you. You know, even after the fiesta/focus, ford will merge the fusion/mondeo !!! they have to synchronize their product !

Right now, they are addressing their capacity problem ! after that, we should be able to produce cars that people will buy.

Before the fiesta/focus arrive, I hope that the new fusion will begin to sell exactly the way the focus is doing before the merge ! This car need to close the gap with the camry and accord before the mondeo arrives. This is exctly what happen with the focus compare to the corolla !

Yes I have driven the Focus and it was fair compared to a Honda Civic, but it is years behind Honda so when Ford catches up to the engineering if ever I may buy one. Oh I have been around Fords Longer thn Most of you, my first Ford was a 1949 Club coupe then a 1959 2dr, 1964 Ford Futura Rag top, My Dad still owns a Ford Pickup.

I also travel the world and have seen most of the Fords elswhere and find their styles far better then whats offered here.

I don't know what was shot up your rear, but i think the new focus is one fine looking automobile.

Yes I have driven the Focus and it was fair compared to a Honda Civic, but it is years behind Honda so when Ford catches up to the engineering if ever I may buy one. Oh I have been around Fords Longer thn Most of you, my first Ford was a 1949 Club coupe then a 1959 2dr, 1964 Ford Futura Rag top, My Dad still owns a Ford Pickup.

I also travel the world and have seen most of the Fords elswhere and find their styles far better then whats offered here.

Wow! Are you saying that you've had a license since at least 1949? That's quite some time, now.

Here's the thing. While you may have driven various iterations of vehicles, they are not available in North America. Ergo, you are left to make the best of what is available here. In reference to the Honda Civic, I think that car is pretty bland and boring. Yes, I have traveled in the US and driven many a car. From the small car segment, I think the Focus is one of the best ones.

Just what makes the Civic years ahead of the Focus? Test drove several Hondas 2 weeks ago and the Focus has them all beat,plus Focus interior is sooo much more put together. Honda was a bit stonger engine,but noisery and does the Civic get 35+ MPG with an automatic like the 08 Focus?

Edited by fordtion