The dumb state of Florida has decided to put 10% Ethanol in all its gasoline. Its been in it for about 2 months now. I have noticed my gas mileage drop off by at least 2 miles per gallon plus every once in awhile the car gets a little hard to start after its warmed up. But thats just maybe once a month if that. Some mechanics say some older cars [like 7 years or older] are already having problems as well as equipment used for landscaping.

The other problem is some mechanics say some stations are are using more like 14% Ethanol instead of the 10% that is listed on the pumps.

Just wondering if I can expect problems in the near or distant future.

Thanks in advance

We've had the 10% ethanol mandate here in Missouri for a while now.

You shouldn't see any problems with anything built since 2000. Fuel mileage will drop slightly (on the order of a couple %), but it shouldn't be 2 MPG. My wife's Escape has not dropped noticably, and my driving habits have changed so I can't compare with my F150.

You may have some other issues going on that could account for a mileage loss and starting issues, and they just happened to coincide with the changeover to 10% ethanol.

We've had the 10% ethanol mandate here in Missouri for a while now.

You shouldn't see any problems with anything built since 2000. Fuel mileage will drop slightly (on the order of a couple %), but it shouldn't be 2 MPG. My wife's Escape has not dropped noticably, and my driving habits have changed so I can't compare with my F150.

You may have some other issues going on that could account for a mileage loss and starting issues, and they just happened to coincide with the changeover to 10% ethanol.

Good to hear there shouldn't be any real problems with the 4.6 using the 10% Ethanol.

Had the car in for service a couple of weeks ago at the dealer and told them to check it out and they said everything was OK. So I will change brands of gas and see if mileage gets better. The starting issue seemed to have disappeared.

The dumb state of Florida has decided to put 10% Ethanol in all its gasoline. Its been in it for about 2 months now. I have noticed my gas mileage drop off by at least 2 miles per gallon plus every once in awhile the car gets a little hard to start after its warmed up. But thats just maybe once a month if that. Some mechanics say some older cars [like 7 years or older] are already having problems as well as equipment used for landscaping.

The other problem is some mechanics say some stations are are using more like 14% Ethanol instead of the 10% that is listed on the pumps.

Just wondering if I can expect problems in the near or distant future.

Thanks in advance

Yup, that's ethanol. "Officially" it won't do any harm, "unofficially" yes, it sucks. I noticed when Texas was forced to switch a few years back it seems all of mine needed a tuneup shortly thereafter, and new catalytic converters. I also noticed a considerable drop in gas mileage.

Gotta love ethanol, it decreases your MPG, making you have to buy more if it more often, and raises the cost of a gallon of gas because it's a special blend, and makes what comes out your tailpipe actually worse for the environment. :ohsnap:

I was involved with E85, in 1990 to 1996 years.

As some of you know, i was a fleet mechanic for 25 years, and here in California, we were the testers for new technology. We were forced by the state to pay for two 1989 ford crown vics, that ran on e-85.

They were assigned to our area, and the only place that had E85 fuel, was Riverside County, in Riverside, CA. That was a 30 mile round trip to fuel up the vehicles, and our gas mileage was cut in about HALF, with E85!!!!!!

The first problem we had was the fuel module sensors, they failed, the second was the fuel filters, they plugged, and then the spark plug failures.

It seemed like the first two to three years, the vehicles were out of service more then in service.

We replaced the fuel sensors with updated ones, new material fuel tanks, and all the fuel lines, hoses and o rings.

Every part we replaced, was sent back to Ford, for failure analysis.

I had a business card, with a Ford Engineers work number, home number, and beeper number on it.

He was my contact, and I woke him up many nights, as I worked swing shift.

The bugs are worked out for E85 in the Fords, the mileage, no.

The answer to your question, 10 to 15% no problems now.

Footnote: I have had more problems with my home yard maintenance equipment, which have forced me to replace fuel tanks, filters, rubber grommets, fuel lines, and even a carb on my home chipper. It is my opinion that since I brought all the equipment before ethanol was mandated in California, that the ethanol was responsible for all the problems.

I have spoke to small equipment mechanics who say they are seeing damages to engines, they shouldn't have happened, and they are blaming it on the ethanol fuel.

Edited by Milstar 04 Sport

• 2 weeks later...