Consumer Report Fails in Evaluation of Escape

GopherM

I picked up the current cummary of the Consumer Report 2009 New Car Preview. It would have been really great if they had actually driven the 2009 Escape before they gave their half-arsed review. They are still listing all the specs for the 2008 V6 and I4 engines with no mention of the mechanical and internal upgrades made to the 2009 model. What were they thinking?

I picked up the current cummary of the Consumer Report 2009 New Car Preview. It would have been really great if they had actually driven the 2009 Escape before they gave their half-arsed review. They are still listing all the specs for the 2008 V6 and I4 engines with no mention of the mechanical and internal upgrades made to the 2009 model. What were they thinking?

Maybe they have had an 09 on order for FOUR months and got tired of waiting for it!

nah, Ford would NEVER do that to their customer(s)

Maybe they have had an 09 on order for FOUR months and got tired of waiting for it!

You should check out the "Cars" ratings at www.epinions.com. Apparently this year is not the first that the problem with supply and demand for the FEH has existed. One subscriber provides a rating from back in 2007 with the same problem you are experiencing.

Maybe those of us that placed our orders 2 months BEFORE production ever started need to factor that in the equation as well. I know you are waiting...heck I know you cancelled your order...but it took me 3.5 months to get my vehicle and while I wanted my vehicle earlier my dealer set a clear expectation with me when I placed my order of what time frame I was looking at. And he was just about right on. Maybe your issue is more with your dealer for either not setting an expectation with you or with setting a false one.

Maybe those of us that placed our orders 2 months BEFORE production ever started need to factor that in the equation as well. I know you are waiting...heck I know you cancelled your order...but it took me 3.5 months to get my vehicle and while I wanted my vehicle earlier my dealer set a clear expectation with me when I placed my order of what time frame I was looking at. And he was just about right on. Maybe your issue is more with your dealer for either not setting an expectation with you or with setting a false one.

It's all good, I was just throwing in some frustrated sarcasm.

I can understand your frustration over an imperfect process but IMO your comments serve no usefull purpose other than to whine and will only result in hijacking this thread from its primary topic.

On the topoc of the Consumer Reports articles...

As a lifelong member of Consumer Reports I am very disapointed in their boarderline incompetance in reviewing the 09 FE and FEH.

I can understand your frustration over an imperfect process but IMO your comments serve no usefull purpose other than to whine and will only result in hijacking this thread from its primary topic.

On the topoc of the Consumer Reports articles...

As a lifelong member of Consumer Reports I am very disapointed in their boarderline incompetance in reviewing the 09 FE and FEH.

Yep...in the combined big book, they don't even mentionn the FEH, MEH or Tribute Hybrid. The write-up for all three gas variants are nearly identical and state that the vehicles are available with a 2.3L I4 or the 3L V6. All three reviews are based on a test drive in the 2008 XLT with the V6.

:redcard: The entire publication is pretty lame. For instance, the majority of the article on the Chrysler 300 pretty much pans the vehicle, yet at the top of the photo they give the vehicle a check mark recommendation. Other vehicles in class have much better write ups but don't get the coveted CR Recommendation.

I stopped subscribing to the magazine several years ago and ended up with quite a few worthless products based upon their recommendations. Hard to believe they are not paid by vendors. I guess I am back to being a CR non-believer.

Yea, I stopped even reading Consumer Reports after finding numerous major errors in their evaluations.

What is so interesting, is that all the errors I find them raging about in paragraph after paragraph, are really due to themselves. If they just bother to read the owner's manual, they would find out that they are either miss-using or miss-operating the feature. Yea, I know. Few of us read the owner's manual. However, one would think that Consumer Reports would, especially when they are too stupid to figure out how stuff is suppose to work.

Edited by Walt

• 4 weeks later...
:redcard: The entire publication is pretty lame. For instance, the majority of the article on the Chrysler 300 pretty much pans the vehicle, yet at the top of the photo they give the vehicle a check mark recommendation. Other vehicles in class have much better write ups but don't get the coveted CR Recommendation.

I stopped subscribing to the magazine several years ago and ended up with quite a few worthless products based upon their recommendations. Hard to believe they are not paid by vendors. I guess I am back to being a CR non-believer.

It doesn't take much to get the check mark. Essentially, to get one a car has to not suck in the road test evaluation (be at least "good") and have reliability no worse than 20% below the average.

I'm personally more critical of their reliability survey than their road tests:

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22455