Large Sedan: 2001-2006 Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis

2006 Ford Crown Victoria Ever wonder why police departments and taxi companies use these "old-tech" V8, rear-wheel-drive sedans? Because they're basically bullet-proof. Really, could a car have a tougher job than serving cab duty in New York City? Or cruiser duty in Los Angeles? Not only that, but these traditional American full-sizers are also very comfortable to ride in, have plenty of luggage capacity and are cheap to keep in light of their low maintenance requirements and commendable fuel efficiency (highway ratings are as high as 25 mpg). They also have very good crash test scores.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/bestbet/articles/index.html

Must be propaganda! No way the Panthers could win any sort of award! :hysterical:

Just as well forget it master, Henry Ford could descend from the heavens and personally dub the Panthers the greatest thing ever, while simultaniously they start selling 50,000 units a week, and people will still set here and tell you they are junk and the D3 is the way to go.

Remember Slim Pickens riding the bomb in Dr. Strangelove? Now imagine that bomb has D3 on it. And there they go, happily into oblivion. :finger:

• 2 months later...
I've got friends who have them with 300,000 miles on them. Some of the Crown Vics up for auction are up there

NYC gave up on Crown Vic's as taxis a few years back. Escapses and other minivan types are replacing them rapidly.

As far as a 300K police unit, forget it. Ours were towed off at 110k barely running.

NYC gave up on Crown Vic's as taxis a few years back. Escapses and other minivan types are replacing them rapidly.

As far as a 300K police unit, forget it. Ours were towed off at 110k barely running.

Thats kind of odd, the old police units around here are retired at 150k and usually get sold off to the city for City Department managers who run them till the wheels fall off them, or are bought at auction and reused as taxi cabs.

Thats kind of odd, the old police units around here are retired at 150k and usually get sold off to the city for City Department managers who run them till the wheels fall off them, or are bought at auction and reused as taxi cabs.

Maybe in an open area they survive that long but in my town, it is a clogged city enviroment. The logest strech of road we can go before hitting a traffic light is probably three miles. It is all stop, go, turn, brake. Typical city police use. A Foed Escape Hybrid would be ideal but much more costly for the initial purchase and no Special Servcie editions are available at this time.

Tires and brakes are replaced after 15 to 20k miles. At 100k, we look to replace the vehicles. They are not eligible for cab service in our town due to our regulations concerning the condition of the cABS. In any case, cab companies don't want old police units. They get better economy out of the minivans so everyone switched over. even an SUV works better for them. Four passengers and a ton of baggage in an SUV is a better payday to and from our hotels to the airports.

Maybe some of the fly by night small cab operatiors might want to pick one up but I haven't seen it for years.

Edited by rscalzo

Maybe in an open area they survive that long but in my town, it is a clogged city enviroment. The logest strech of road we can go before hitting a traffic light is probably three miles. It is all stop, go, turn, brake. Typical city police use. A Foed Escape Hybrid would be ideal but much more costly for the initial purchase and no Special Servcie editions are available at this time.

Tires and brakes are replaced after 15 to 20k miles. At 100k, we look to replace the vehicles. They are not eligible for cab service in our town due to our regulations concerning the condition of the cABS. In any case, cab companies don't want old police units. They get better economy out of the minivans so everyone switched over. even an SUV works better for them. Four passengers and a ton of baggage in an SUV is a better payday to and from our hotels to the airports.

Maybe some of the fly by night small cab operatiors might want to pick one up but I haven't seen it for years.

I don't know why I bother , but here goes.

Someone had best tell all the cab operators in Boston they are losing their ass with all of the CV cop cars they run. And these cars by the way don't ALL come from Mayberry! I am familiar with a shop that does most of the conversions from police to cab use. And when I go by this guys lot, there are many cars sitting there that came from metro Boston locations that are every bit as tough as the Jersey locations Mr.Scalzo refers to. And I am a frequent traveler to that part of the "Garden State" so I can relate. So what am i missing here?

I also find it hard to believe that any Escape or any other FWD econobox will hold up to the abuse a CV can take. When you talk about the conversion in NYC from CV's to Escapes, you infer it was by choice. there was no choice. The city in its infinite "Green" wisdom mandated the change. And while everyone may love the savings upfront in MPG, we will see how that shakes out over the long haul when total cost per mile is calculated.

Oh and I have to admit, I just suffered my first failure with my 07 CV Sport. At a tad over 70,000 miles the bulb for the floor shift indicator light burned out! what a POS!

I've heard you take a few shots at the Vics on a couple different topics, but I just couldn't let you get away with another false claim.

Ford stopped selling NYC cab companies Long Wheel Base Crown Vics at the end of the 2008 model year. So it wasn't "a few years back", it was a few weeks.

Plus, according to this article

www.leftlanenews.com%2Fsafety-longevity-concerns-could-curtail-nycs-hybrid-taxi-plans.html&h=bcd0544d23cb79d4a2d8fa3c6ad8aa75

the CV replacements haven't exactly done the job required of them. Not to mention my sister-in-law who lives in NYC, has said most of the cabbies she has talked to are down right pissed off the Vics are being banned. And those who still have them, are planning on holding onto them as long as they can.

And while I can't offer up any proof to to discredit your claim that your Vics die at 110K, I can say that the Police Units in my area last well past the milage you mentioned, and after their life as a cop car ends, they get turned into taxis and continue to run. I have yet to get into a CV cab in my city with less then 500K. Furthermore, I have yet to hear an Officer or a cabbie say anything bad about the vehicle.

Considering the bashing you've done on the vehicle, my guess is you are just another Panther hater who will say anything to make the car look bad.

I've heard you take a few shots at the Vics on a couple different topics, but I just couldn't let you get away with another false claim.

Ford stopped selling NYC cab companies Long Wheel Base Crown Vics at the end of the 2008 model year. So it wasn't "a few years back", it was a few weeks.

Plus, according to this article

www.leftlanenews.com%2Fsafety-longevity-concerns-could-curtail-nycs-hybrid-taxi-plans.html&h=bcd0544d23cb79d4a2d8fa3c6ad8aa75

the CV replacements haven't exactly done the job required of them. Not to mention my sister-in-law who lives in NYC, has said most of the cabbies she has talked to are down right pissed off the Vics are being banned. And those who still have them, are planning on holding onto them as long as they can.

And while I can't offer up any proof to to discredit your claim that your Vics die at 110K, I can say that the Police Units in my area last well past the milage you mentioned, and after their life as a cop car ends, they get turned into taxis and continue to run. I have yet to get into a CV cab in my city with less then 500K. Furthermore, I have yet to hear an Officer or a cabbie say anything bad about the vehicle.

Considering the bashing you've done on the vehicle, my guess is you are just another Panther hater who will say anything to make the car look bad.

I agree! If I was in the market for a newer car. My absolute 1st choice would definitely be a Panther, in fact even for an older used car. My absolute 1st choice would definitely be a Panther.

There is absolutely no way, no way that anyone is gonna force me into some small rat trap clown car!

And while I can't offer up any proof to to discredit your claim that your Vics die at 110K, I can say that the Police Units in my area last well past the milage you mentioned, and after their life as a cop car ends, they get turned into taxis and continue to run

I have no idea what direct experience you have with the vehicles? What department or at least location are you associated with to get this knowledge? I have commanded the patrol which included the purchase, operation and maintenance of a decent sized fleet. We run 20 marked units, at one time mainly Crown Vic. Unless you can give the type of operation, a Crown Vic in a city environment is toast at 100k. Most city departments start the replacement process at 75 and get them off the street by 110k.

As far as the city cab drivers not liking the cabs, they don't own or service them themselves. If you knew anything about the operation of a NYC cab, getting a medallion costs upwards of 100k. The only older cabs you see on the street at now gypsy cabs with run outside the taxi commission regulations. The Escapes have held up as good as or better than the CV and the cost of operation is significantly less.

1 Most city departments start the replacement process at 75 and get them off the street by 110k.

2 The Escapes have held up as good as or better than the CV and the cost of operation is significantly less.

1 True in the northeast.

2 Not one shred of truth.

Better ask the cab owners. They can't get enough of them.

We were told at our plant in St.Thomas that NY can start using vics again they have put off the green law by another year. Cabbies don't want the Escapes, they can't handle the abuse. We just saw the first 2 roll down the line and there are rumors that there is an order for 3500. We are almost selling 20,000 units a month (vics and lincon's) one shift and expected to increase that number of units in the spring when the budgets come out. Not bad for a car that is expected to die off. Panthers are by far the strongest most reliable cars on the road today and there will probally never be another one like it.

They did hold off the mileage requirement. No idea for how long before something is put in its place. Bloomberg does not take no for an answer. I doubt Ford is losing any sleep. They can sell everyone without trying. Cabbies may not like them, but they for the most part do not own them. They can't afford to own a cab due to the costs (at least in NYC). Passengers in NY like the car which is all that really matters.

LE use of the car is going to be difficult. budgets are getting chopped. NYPD is cutting back and switched to the Charger for a large part of the fleet. They don't need anything over the V6 and for the numbers they buy, 2k plus per unit cheaper is a big savings. Even the big money towns in the NJ area are crying the blues. A friend handles the purchases for the NJ State Police. The state’s budget is causing havoc and cost will either cut back vehicle purchases or mandate a vehicle change.

The CV will never be considered long term because it is considered old technology. Over the year some of the complaints have been addresses, many were not. Ford has no great interest in changing the vehicle to accommodate those needs so many agencies moved on. We found the rear seat in the charger had more room than the CV. With a barrier and aftermarket seat, the charger gave us more room. Now if the CV seats lasted longer than 75k and the interior panels didn't self destruct, we would have been happier. Our experience is too new with the Charger at this point to know who that will fare. And for the life of me, why does the padding fall off of the steering wheel? I thought it was particular to my department but it seems to be everyone’s vehicles.

But when all is said and done, the man upstairs tells us what we will be purchasing. That will be the Charger unless Ford fleet comes way down in price which will not be happening. Even at this point they make little on the car when sold to LE. Limos must have a greater profit margin as does those still using them as cabs. The day has come that vastly updated CV must be put out there to compete. Unfortunaqtly I don't think Ford cares enough about the car to bother with anything in the way of a major overhaul.

Edited by rscalzo

My whole thing is, if you can’t get the little things right, why should I expect you to get the big ones correct.

I’m not going to call you a liar, because maybe what you are saying is true, or at minimum you believe it to be true. But it simply doesn’t jive with what I believe to be true.

And like I said, 2008 was the last model year that I can unequivocally say Ford produced LWB units for NYC. So when you say it was “years ago”, you are dead wrong. Maybe you miss spoke, or I miss understood. But if not, how would I believe anything you say about anything else if you got that wrong? Considering all the other things you have said that I believe to be false, I just can’t take you seriously.

If what roggie13 say’s is true, and what you agreed with concerning the mileage requirements, then Ford will be producing even more units for NYC. You are right, I don’t know what is involved in the NYC cab operation. What I do know is that according to the article (and no, I don’t believe everything I read in the paper) and what my sister-in-law has said, the CV replacements aren’t holding up. Seems to me when given the choice of a vehicle, NYC cabbies are choosing the Crown Victoria. And that pretty much goes against what you have been saying.

Furthermore, I will not argue that every Panther is the “bullet proof tank” they are known for. And I’m sure some are not able to get past the 110K mark. You make it sound like every unit you’ve ever come across dies early. Again, this doesn’t go along with what I’ve seen and heard about this vehicle from the hundreds of people I have heard comment on it. Local Police departments use Crown Vic Police Interceptors for both city use and high way patrol. I haven’t seen an old Impala in use for a while, only seen one Charger (an unmarked one on the highway). The Charger was brought into the local city department, and was flatly rejected by their head mechanic for not being as well built as the Crown Vic. And like I said, the vast majority of cabs in this area are old CV Police Interceptors that are loved by their drivers and operators. The “barely running at 110K” line simply isn’t true to what I have seen with my own eyes.

And that’s why I think you are bull shit and don’t believe a single thing you have said concerning this vehicle.

Of course every CV isn't being replaced overnight. Ford couldn't provide the vehicles even if the NY cab owners wanted them. there are something like 30 thousand cabs in operation in the city. As far as the cabbies, maybe they do like the CV but they aren't the ones calling the shots. They only drive them. the money people are the ones buying the vehicles and they call the shots. When you can double the gas mileage overnight, you can bet your life that the owners will go for it.

As far as holding up, well t's a rough enviroment. Our cars are crap after 100k. Anyones would be. Servere service does not begin to describe the operation and enviroment we put the cars through. It would have been nice to see improvements made after going throuigh several years of shortfalls in some areas. But Ford isn't going to put any money into improvements at this stage. Years ago maybe. Ford may make a profit selling the Lincoln varient to limo drivers but they aren't making much selling them to police departments unless you can tell me the vehicle is produced for around 10k.

Slightly off topic..who puts in the Ford Fleet Law enforcement options such as the sliding radio stack option, the wiring tunnel and fire suppression options?

I do wish I still had the pictures of one of our CV hit by a druck on ther highway at 65 mph. The car was cruched beyond belief when hit in the rear. It did tend to redure some of the fears of a fire when hit.

Edited by rscalzo

Of course every CV isn't being replaced overnight. Ford couldn't provide the vehicles even if the NY cab owners wanted them. there are something like 30 thousand cabs in operation in the city. As far as the cabbies, maybe they do like the CV but they aren't the ones calling the shots. They only drive them. the money people are the ones buying the vehicles and they call the shots. When you can double the gas mileage overnight, you can bet your life that the owners will go for it.

As far as holding up, well t's a rough enviroment. Our cars are crap after 100k. Anyones would be. Servere service does not begin to describe the operation and enviroment we put the cars through. It would have been nice to see improvements made after going throuigh several years of shortfalls in some areas. But Ford isn't going to put any money into improvements at this stage. Years ago maybe. Ford may make a profit selling the Lincoln varient to limo drivers but they aren't making much selling them to police departments unless you can tell me the vehicle is produced for around 10k.

Slightly off topic..who puts in the Ford Fleet Law enforcement options such as the sliding radio stack option, the wiring tunnel and fire suppression options?

I do wish I still had the pictures of one of our CV hit by a druck on ther highway at 65 mph. The car was cruched beyond belief when hit in the rear. It did tend to redure some of the fears of a fire when hit.

We put the fire suppression in the car at the St. Thomas assembly plant it's a nice option to have along with the gas tank shields ( shields on all the cars) but that's up to you departments if they value your lives so much it should be an option every department would order... is your life worth the extra? The CV hit by the truck going 65 mph is pretty bloody fast the only thing that saved the guy was the full frame and the grace of God, if he was in a charger or an impala he would have been a hood ornament. In Ontario Canada our OPP were asked what they want as a car....they chose the CV so did many other police departments in the U.S. just alone Ontario is changing all their cars back to black and white they came in last year and ordered 150,000 units over the next 3 years. We were told last week that Ford has extended the cars production another year now to 2012.

Isn't the shield standard? I remeber a few recalls, one which did something to the bolts in the rear. Thought the other one was for a shield.

It came out that most of the fires were due to the placement of tools in the truck. We carry a large halogan bar which could easily punture the tank. Our car had the rear pushed up almost to the front seat. If we would have had someone sitting in the rear seat it might have resulted in a fatality. I cut out the car number and had it framed for the officer. He escaped with just some bad problems that cleared up. The Impala makes an ok admin car but no one ever liked them for patrol duty. The NYPD experience wasn't that great which is why they switched to the Charger. The Hemi might have been a factor for the Highway units. V6 is more than enough in the coity.

Black and white started coming back. We never saw the need. With the computer designed graphics, the car look pretty good. We revised ours a few year back. I have a great shop in the midwest that does a great job.

The only future for the car is a massive updating. Hopefully the name will stay alive. Maybe a Crown Vic with the old Checy Caprice V-8. And get an update for the ugly wheels. the older style were much better looking.......Maybe a nice set of alum???? Move the air uintake up higher so we stop hydrolocking engines in lousy weather.....Get rid of the din radio to free up dash space. Intergrated lcd screen with audio/video imputs.... I should be able to come upo with a few more!!!

I'd still like to know Ford's cost to produce the vehicle...After everyone gets their cut, there cannot be much profit left.

Edited by rscalzo

Isn't the shield standard? I remeber a few recalls, one which did something to the bolts in the rear. Thought the other one was for a shield.

It came out that most of the fires were due to the placement of tools in the truck. We carry a large halogan bar which could easily punture the tank. Our car had the rear pushed up almost to the front seat. If we would have had someone sitting in the rear seat it might have resulted in a fatality. I cut out the car number and had it framed for the officer. He escaped with just some bad problems that cleared up. The Impala makes an ok admin car but no one ever liked them for patrol duty. The NYPD experience wasn't that great which is why they switched to the Charger. The Hemi might have been a factor for the Highway units. V6 is more than enough in the coity.

Black and white started coming back. We never saw the need. With the computer designed graphics, the car look pretty good. We revised ours a few year back. I have a great shop in the midwest that does a great job.

The only future for the car is a massive updating. Hopefully the name will stay alive. Maybe a Crown Vic with the old Checy Caprice V-8. And get an update for the ugly wheels. the older style were much better looking.......Maybe a nice set of alum???? Move the air uintake up higher so we stop hydrolocking engines in lousy weather.....Get rid of the din radio to free up dash space. Intergrated lcd screen with audio/video imputs.... I should be able to come upo with a few more!!!

I'd still like to know Ford's cost to produce the vehicle...After everyone gets their cut, there cannot be much profit left.

The plant in St. Thomas is paid for in full I'm not quite sure how much one costs to make but I do know that they get between $7000 to $10000 profit on each one that rolls out the door more for the Lincons. We are down to one shift here but still are in the top 3 plants that Ford owns in North America for profit. Actually Bill Ford personally owns the plant. The gas tank sheilds are like you said... standard I guess alot of the fires were related to the axel bolts piercing the tank. The shields took care of that and for a little added safety they came out will the fire suppression unit. I agree ford needs to update the car even just a little bit. The car has always been a good seller and the profit gains would be huge for the company if it started selling again. Maybe if it came with a optional v6 with a six speed tranny in it. Even if they dropped the 6 spped in the v8 it would help out with the gas mileage.

My thought exactly. The day of the high speed prusuit is over. Everyone is after gas mileage. A six speed would be a great addtion although problems with the older trans were far and few between. Many just see it as yesterday's technology. Half the reason the youger kids like the Charger is the image. They don't have a clue of what it takes to keep them running. It's more mage than fact. I seem to think that Ford is putting its resources in other areas and forgetting about the CV. I'd almost say put in the afetrmarket rear seat but some some would probably complain.

My thought on the profit is that we pay a little over 20k for the fully equiped PI at the NJ state contract dealer. By the time the sale force, dealer and everyone else gets their cut, what is actually left for Ford?

My thought exactly. The day of the high speed prusuit is over. Everyone is after gas mileage. A six speed would be a great addtion although problems with the older trans were far and few between. Many just see it as yesterday's technology. Half the reason the youger kids like the Charger is the image. They don't have a clue of what it takes to keep them running. It's more mage than fact. I seem to think that Ford is putting its resources in other areas and forgetting about the CV. I'd almost say put in the afetrmarket rear seat but some some would probably complain.

My thought on the profit is that we pay a little over 20k for the fully equiped PI at the NJ state contract dealer. By the time the sale force, dealer and everyone else gets their cut, what is actually left for Ford?

When the car leaves us all the aftermarket (police equipment) is installed except wiring ,fuel supression units, spot lights) elsewhere. I recall seeing a couple sticker prices for around $22,000 Canadian, so around $19,000 U.S.. When the car leaves the plant Ford gets about $7000 to $9000 profit per car give or take after every thing is said and done.

[quote name='rscalzo' date='Nov 16 2008, 03:02 AM' post='427594'

I don't believe in negative posts but I think its time you pissed in a bottle to verify exactly what your drug of choice is?

"A CV with a Caprice V-8? " "Aluminum wheels"?? "older style were much better looking"???? I thought you were a fleet manager? As such I would assume that you woul appreciate the value of an inexpensive steel wheel vs an alloy wheel- after all, isn't yours a city department where I would assume jumping curbs is ot a rare ocurrence? Just a couple of inconsistancies in your thought process.

Your credibility is fading.

[quote name='rscalzo' date='Nov 16 2008, 03:02 AM' post='427594'

I don't believe in negative posts but I think its time you pissed in a bottle to verify exactly what your drug of choice is?

"A CV with a Caprice V-8? " "Aluminum wheels"?? "older style were much better looking"???? I thought you were a fleet manager? As such I would assume that you woul appreciate the value of an inexpensive steel wheel vs an alloy wheel- after all, isn't yours a city department where I would assume jumping curbs is ot a rare ocurrence? Just a couple of inconsistancies in your thought process.

Your credibility is fading.

Can always dream. The Chevy engine was much better than the Ford 4.6 ever was from day one. The Caprice ran circles around the CV of the day and that was a reason so many were sad to see them go. GM found that there is no profit in marketing to police fleets.

The newer steel wheels are downright ugly. The deeper syyle used in earlier years looked better. No idea why they were changed. The change to a larger tire most likely but who knows. Yes, alum. would be impractical. You seem to be missing the fact that the part of the reason for the Charger's success is that is just looks newer. You look at a CV and it looks dated and past it's prime. It isn't a better car and yet is is taking a large share of the law enforcement market from Ford. While I don't know the break out number for sales to LE vs civilian, the Charger is still doing much better this year.

I wasn't a fleet manager. I was a Commander of a mid sized Patrol Division. I also saw the problems and maintenance issues with the fleet better than a civilian fleet manager would have been able. Using the car in service is diffirent than trying to keep them running.

Edited by rscalzo

Can always dream. The Chevy engine was much better than the Ford 4.6 ever was from day one. The Caprice ran circles around the CV of the day and that was a reason so many were sad to see them go. GM found that there is no profit in marketing to police fleets.

The newer steel wheels are downright ugly. The deeper syyle used in earlier years looked better. No idea why they were changed. The change to a larger tire most likely but who knows. Yes, alum. would be impractical. You seem to be missing the fact that the part of the reason for the Charger's success is that is just looks newer. You look at a CV and it looks dated and past it's prime. It isn't a better car and yet is is taking a large share of the law enforcement market from Ford. While I don't know the break out number for sales to LE vs civilian, the Charger is still doing much better this year.

I wasn't a fleet manager. I was a Commander of a mid sized Patrol Division. I also saw the problems and maintenance issues with the fleet better than a civilian fleet manager would have been able. Using the car in service is diffirent than trying to keep them running.

LT/LS engines are great engines no doubt. But the MOD has proven itself excellent in car applications.

The wheel change is due to a suspension change that set the hubs further out from the frame. Agree that they do look like crap.

While I like the Charger, I think it will suffer the same fate as the Intrepid did in PD service.

Edited by Hemiman

I think it will suffer the same fate as the Intrepid did in PD service

In an urban enviroment, any vehicle is going to be beat to crap by 100k. The mileage on the clock doesn't tell the story. Some area town try to get rid of them at 75k but that is becoming impossible with the economic conditions. Unfortunatly we will be force to keep them well beyond the time frame we did in the past.

The steel wheels are ugly...As I've had to replace a bunch of them that were damaged, they aren't cheap either. Thankfully I have two great dealers that did my work and didn't try to rip anyone off. I alway bought my personal vehicle from them ever if they weren't the cheapest.