Poorly Design Rear Sensors? 2009 FEHL

hd-tech

Previously I had posted of what I believed to be an intermittency with my rear sensors. I backed into a small 3ft guard post in front of a telephone poll. The sensors never tripped, yet one of the sensors was in the dent, actually very near center. Tried to get Ford to fix or even help and I got bubkus. I fought long and hard but really found the experience to be forgettable as just about everyone was evasive and unwilling to help.

Anyway, now that I have the car repaired, I decided to do as much of a scientific test as I could..... :stirpot:

I put the parking brake on and left the car in reverse. I then stood on the side of the vehicle and used my hands and legs to try to trip the sensors. I should note that this was the sensor that was not impacted in my fabulous little crash. Anyway, I tried waving my hand across as well as bringing my hand in towards the sensors from as far as I could reach at various speeds. I was careful to delay between each test just to allow for any possible reset time that might be necessary. I also tried to walk towards the vehicle from behind.

The results are that things that came in from the side or at an angle are not reacted to in a repeatable way. Sometimes the sensor acted just as it should. Sometimes I could physically touch the sensor and it wouldnt trip, even on slow approaches. Other times it detected me right away. Other times, it would react but just a second or two later than it should have (I had already made physical contact). Anything coming from straight on seemed to trip all the time. From this I can only conclude that my sensors arent very good or the design/quality of the sensors is very low budget.

Couple of questions for the forum:

1) Anyone interested in repeating a similar test and sharing the results?

2) I would really like to write a letter about my experience to someone who actually would read it at Ford and might actually consider the idea that the sensors are a POS. Since there are some Ford employees who read this forum, what addresses and names would be best to include? I really would love to get an Engineering contact as well as someone in Quality. Any other suggestions?

Couple of questions for the forum:

1) Anyone interested in repeating a similar test and sharing the results?

2) I would really like to write a letter about my experience to someone who actually would read it at Ford and might actually consider the idea that the sensors are a POS. Since there are some Ford employees who read this forum, what addresses and names would be best to include? I really would love to get an Engineering contact as well as someone in Quality. Any other suggestions?

The testing may be too much to ask but surely someone has some good contact address that I could send a letter to?

I've had my '09 FEHL for a couple weeks now and can only say that the sensors have worked perfectly fine for me. I've never had an experience where something was not noticed. It definitely seems to err on the side of caution for me too, which I like.

Mine works fine as well and I only use it as an aid and not a substitute for my eyes and knowing what is around my vehicle. It's not like it is a backup camera with calibrated distance marks.

I've had my '09 FEHL for a couple weeks now and can only say that the sensors have worked perfectly fine for me. I've never had an experience where something was not noticed. It definitely seems to err on the side of caution for me too, which I like.

If I didnt have the experience that I have, I would think that they respond pretty well too. I agree about the err on cautious side comment.

The experiment in my garage was eye opening. Maybe someone will not have the same results.

Mine works fine as well and I only use it as an aid and not a substitute for my eyes and knowing what is around my vehicle. It's not like it is a backup camera with calibrated distance marks.

You are implying quite a bit here without knowing the facts. Yes the issue was ultimately my fault and of course one needs to use a little common sense when driving. It should be noted that I was in an unfamiliar location which makes the situation harder to negotiate.

Nonetheless, the sensors don't seem to perform at expectations as noted by (1) a dent with a sensor in the center of it and (2) a test trying to see the sensors react in a repeatable and reasonable manner.

I really hope that this is a specific issue to my vehicle and that everyone else is in the clear. Perhaps that is what some of these first responses show. My only real goal now is to tell someone at Ford of my problem, thereby giving them a chance to consider changes or improvement in later models.

Nonetheless, the sensors don't seem to perform at expectations as noted by (1) a dent with a sensor in the center of it and (2) a test trying to see the sensors react in a repeatable and reasonable manner.

I really hope that this is a specific issue to my vehicle and that everyone else is in the clear. Perhaps that is what some of these first responses show. My only real goal now is to tell someone at Ford of my problem, thereby giving them a chance to consider changes or improvement in later models.

A couple of questions to help understand what exactly happened with the dealer. Did the service department actually check out your vehicle and declare that all is as it should be? If so, do you have another dealer somewhere in the area that you could take it to and have their service department take a look at it?

Also, I would see if there is another Escape you could check out to see if it is the same.

A couple of questions to help understand what exactly happened with the dealer. Did the service department actually check out your vehicle and declare that all is as it should be? If so, do you have another dealer somewhere in the area that you could take it to and have their service department take a look at it?

Also, I would see if there is another Escape you could check out to see if it is the same.

The dealer tested the rear sensors to a diagnostic tool. The tool reported errors but they said this was because the sensors were damaged by the accident. I was suspicious of this because the there was no physical damage on the sensor, not even a scratch. And surely there would be a way to isolate that single sensor from testing. The service dept just did not want to do anything on this issue and in every dealing with them, they werent afraid to show it.

There is another dealership in the area. Since I have already gotten the vehicle repaired, I doubt that any further effort on my part could recoup my costs. And even if they did find something, they probably would try to tell me that it was related to the accident and I would have to pay for new sensors. I spent quite a bit of time to try and get this resolved and to be honest, I am done with Ford service on this. I have written a letter to Ford but I am hoping someone will still post a "lesser known" address that I could send this to. I also want to alert everyone that the sensors potentially will not react as they should all the time.

Edited by hd-tech

I really think you have bad sensors on your vehicle. Mine appear to be working properly and detect objects fine.

I do think it is worth mentioning that the owner's manual states:

1)...may not detect certain angular or moving objects

2)...Reverse sensing is only an aid for some (generally large and fixed) objects when moving in reverse on a flat surface at “parking speeds”

3)...This system is not designed to prevent contact with small or moving objects. The system is designed to provide a warning to assist the driver in detecting large stationary objects to avoid damaging the vehicle. The system may not detect smaller objects, particularly those close to the ground.

While the sensors do cut a swath at an angle from the corner of the bumber it is slight and I do not think the sensors are designed to detect things as you turn angles in reverse. All comments and pictures depict backing straight up.

I do think however that your dealer is not working well with you and I would agree that I would find another dealer to work with. I don't think I would let one dealer ruin me on my views of Ford Service. One of the largest Ford dealerships in my city has a service dept that I do not like/trust so I went into the next county to order my Ford and this is the second time I have used this dealership because of that AND their good service/honesty/willingness to work with you.

But I really do think this is an issue with your vehicle and not the sensors as a whole. Good luck!

The dealer tested the rear sensors to a diagnostic tool. The tool reported errors but they said this was because the sensors were damaged by the accident. I was suspicious of this because the there was no physical damage on the sensor, not even a scratch. And surely there would be a way to isolate that single sensor from testing. The service dept just did not want to do anything on this issue and in every dealing with them, they werent afraid to show it.

There is another dealership in the area. Since I have already gotten the vehicle repaired, I doubt that any further effort on my part could recoup my costs. And even if they did find something, they probably would try to tell me that it was related to the accident and I would have to pay for new sensors. I spent quite a bit of time to try and get this resolved and to be honest, I am done with Ford service on this. I have written a letter to Ford but I am hoping someone will still post a "lesser known" address that I could send this to. I also want to alert everyone that the sensors potentially will not react as they should all the time.

Your insurance won't pay to replace the faulty sensor (or did you pay for the repairs out of pocket)?

Hi hd-tech. :D Two things. First: You may want to follow jwillums advice and contact your Auto Insurance Company and the shop that did the repair work on the car. Just inform them (politely) that the repairs were not completed properly, as the rear sensors must have been damaged in the accident and no longer work correctly. Obviously, do not tell them that you feel the sensors did not work properly in the first place. The Insurance Company should simply reopen the file and okay the additional repair work. This may be your quickest way to have the problem addressed.

Next: If that does not work (or you paid for the repairs out of pocket), there is an established process for filing and attempting to settle complaints with Ford concerning our cars and service done on them. Unfortunately, many people do not know the process and start sending"letters" off to the wrong places.

When we purchase our cars, we are handed several booklets. Our Owners Manual, A Warranty Guide Booklet, A Tire Warranty booklet, etc. Your answers and the information you need (addresses, phone numbers etc.) are in the Warranty Guide Booklet.

Unfortunately, when they get home with their new cars, most people throw these booklets in a drawer (or in the garbage) and never see them again. It's a shame, because these booklets clearly outline the proper complaint process to follow for an owner who is not satisfied with their car, or service performed on it.

Find your Warranty Guide Booklet and read the "Table of Contents". You will find sections for contacting Ford's Consumer Relations Department. That is your first step.

If you still are not satisfied after contacting Ford, your next step is to file an Arbitration complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) Auto Line Program. This program is an Arbitration Program is run by the BBB in conjunction with Ford. It's decisions are binding on Ford, but non-binding on you. In other words, if the BBB Auto Line Program tells Ford they are wrong and must fix the car, Ford must fix the car, no questions asked. If the BBB decision goes against you, you can still proceed with further legal action. An explanation of the Program and how to initiate Complaint Claims is clearly explained on the Warranty Guide Booklet.

You will get much better results if you follow the already established Complaint Process.

So find your Warranty Guide Booklet and read through it.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks bbf2530. Your advise is appreciated no doubt. No need for the bold underline. I can read just fine.

I guess I havent appropriately conveyed my premise in previous posts. I am not looking to go that far for this simple of an issue. In the end, the costs are negible to me and at this point. This is a closed deal on the Ford side in my mind. Its not worth my time or their time. Of course I would have liked things to have gone more my way, but I am taking my medicine. It was my fault ultimately.

I only want to (1) throw out an FYI to new owners of the 2009 (2) drop a note to Ford to tell them of my disappointing experience overall with Ford. I could care less that they reply. Just makes me feel better considering the BS of the WHOLE process of being lucky enough to have your hands on a 2009.....

Thanks bbf2530. Your advise is appreciated no doubt. No need for the bold underline. I can read just fine.

I guess I havent appropriately conveyed my premise in previous posts. I am not looking to go that far for this simple of an issue. In the end, the costs are negible to me and at this point. This is a closed deal on the Ford side in my mind. Its not worth my time or their time. Of course I would have liked things to have gone more my way, but I am taking my medicine. It was my fault ultimately.

I only want to (1) throw out an FYI to new owners of the 2009 (2) drop a note to Ford to tell them of my disappointing experience overall with Ford. I could care less that they reply. Just makes me feel better considering the BS of the WHOLE process of being lucky enough to have your hands on a 2009.....

Hi hd-tech. :D You are welcome.

Sorry, no offense intended by the underlining. I am sure you can read just fine. I always underline the important points of a post (the purpose of underlining). Some people find it helpful.

The information I provided was simply the correct procedure to follow concerning how to properly present a complaint or concern to Ford. It seemed that was what you were asking for (a "lesser known" address to send a complaint/concern to). I did not realize that you "could care less that they reply." I was under the mistaken impression that you wanted an address which would help to resolve your complaint.

Hopefully others who read this will find the information helpful.

Good luck with your car. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530