Ford F-150 MPG

Mower Man

I have a 2008 Ford F-150 FX4, SWB with the 5.4L and 3.73 gears. 7500 miles on it. I love the truck and have been faithful to Ford. I just came back from a 1000 mile trip. I was careful not to run at over 2000 rpm's, used the cruise (95% freeway miles) and did my pre-trip inspection. The truck would not get over 14.9 miles to the gallon. What are the rest of you guys getting for mileage. We can skip the guys saying that they are getting 30 mpg in town. I just feel that this truck is brutal on fuel. At this point we are considering running it for a year and looking at other options. I was hoping that Ford would push the 4.4 diesel out quicker. Thanks for the input in advance.

You failed to post your cruising speed, passengers/baggage, wheels and tires involved, and the terrain.

My truck is an extended cab Lariat 4x4, 5.4, 6' bed, 3.55 gears and 18" wheels. With just me and my toddler in the vehicle I can get as high as 17.3mpg, but that is the flat terrain in NJ with the cruise on 65mph. I do have 45K miles. 14.9 is a bit on low side...but it is a truck after all. Cruising at 80mph, my mileage will drop to the 15s.

Edited by atomaro

You failed to post your cruising speed, passengers/baggage, wheels and tires involved, and the terrain.

My truck is an extended cab Lariat 4x4, 5.4, 6' bed, 3.55 gears and 18" wheels. With just me and my toddler in the vehicle I can get as high as 17.3mpg, but that is the flat terrain in NJ with the cruise on 65mph. I do have 45K miles. 14.9 is a bit on low side...but it is a truck after all. Cruising at 80mph, my mileage will drop to the 15s.

At 2000 rpm's the truck is running 72 to 73 miles per hour. Just two guys with two suitcases, no trailer or load. Stock 18" Goodyears. Drove from Minnesota to Kansas for the NASCAR race. Fairly flat terrain. I drive in a cautious manner. With the trailer, (1000 to 1500 lb. load, outdoor power equipment ), my mileage is down in the 10 to 12 mpg range. The trailer dosen't really seem to bother the miles per gallon. Straight E-85 will take me under 10 mpg. If I mix half and half E-85 and unleaded, the mileage is not effected. The truck is not even close to the EPA ratings. I understand that it's a truck and I don't expect huge mileage numbers, but this is a little ridicules. In the last year, between business and personal use, I have purchased five new Fords . I love this truck. Looks sharp and rides fantastic. The part that bothers me is that neither Ford, nor my dealer really give a rat's behind about my concerns.

Edited by Mower Man

Interesting.

I have an '06 Screw XLT (5.4L - 5.5' bed - 3.73LS - 18" rims/tires), with everything stock except for a drop in K&N filter.

87 Octane - I average between 12-15mpgs city and 17-19mpgs hwy.

E85 - I average between 10-13mpgs city and 13-15mpgs hwy.

Of course this variance is dependent upon the traffic level, terrain, occupants and how hard I am on the accelerator. I rarely if ever run over 2K RPMS in the city (except 1st gear gets to about 2100-2200) and never really check rpms on the hwy much, just simply keep her at 75mph or below depending on the speed limit. Also, these mpgs do dip when towing in all conditions, but since I only tow 5-10 times a year I do not worry about the mpgs in those situations.

Now this is with living in Denver, CO (5280ft elevation) and many times climbing to around 10K ft elevation when conducting highway driving. Of course going up these passes my mpgs dip, but come right back up after basically coasting down the other side.

Same boat here, but I am not sweating it.

I bought my new FX4 about a month ago. Got 1900 miles on it already. 5.4L, SCREW, 3:73

I was getting about 12.8 mpg combo hwy/city. I got 13.9 mpg on my last tank. I just installed a Roush CAI. I am installing Roush OF Exhaust later this fall, then a tuner. I almost never go a week without pulling my bass boat somewhere at least once, so I have no idea what my true hwy mileage will be. Considering my truck is still breaking in.

When I do my first oil change, I am switching to synthetic oil and will run it for the remainder of the time. If I get 16 mpg combined after it is broke in, and the exhaust and tuner is installed, I will be thrilled.

I have the same setup. 08 Scab 5.4 3.73 non limited slip, 18"wheels, towing package. Average 14.5 mpg over 10,500 miles. But the gas where I live has 10% alcohol due to emmissions . If you live ouside a major city, you can get 17mpg with full 100% gas. My friend in upstate NY gets this and he has the same setup as me.

Look in my sig. for the specs of my truck or in my previous post within this thread.

Just filled up today. Got 311.2 strictly city miles out of 22.065 gallons. Comes to 14.10378 miles per gallon. This was using Conoco/Phillips66 (87 octane) which includes 10% ethanol.