Fannie and Freddie

mikem12

Fannie and Freddie and the subsequent bailout can be blamed on the apathy of the USA taxpayer.Years ago I heard a commercial shouting out "NO DOWN PAYMENT=NO PROBLEM" "HARD TO VERIFY INCOME=NO PROBLEM" I called the number in the adverstisement to chastise these practices and wrote a letter to the IRS complaining that is was too easy to cheat on taxes.Do you know who will pick up the tab for all this greedy,selfish behavior?The honest people.I saw a Lending Tree ad about a week ago that was advertising NO SSN needed loans.It will happen again.The precedent has been set.Gone are the values of honesty and fairness.Honest people are chumps.The taxpayer will conitinue to have his/her pockets picked until we protest and I mean with muscle not with internet message boards.Recall Michigan State Representative Andy Dillon

Edited by Fatso

Fannie and Freddie and the subsequent bailout can be blamed on the apathy of the USA taxpayer.Years ago I heard a commercial shouting out "NO DOWN PAYMENT=NO PROBLEM" "HARD TO VERIFY INCOME=NO PROBLEM" I called the number in the adverstisement to chastise these practices and wrote a letter to the IRS complaining that is was too easy to cheat on taxes.Do you know who will pick up the tab for all this greedy,selfish behavior?The honest people.I saw a Lending Tree ad about a week ago that was advertising NO SSN needed loans.It will happen again.The precedent has been set.Gone are the values of honesty and fairness.Honest people are chumps.The taxpayer will conitinue to have his/her pockets picked until we protest and I mean with muscle not with internet message boards.Recall Michigan State Representative Andy Dillon

Very well said. I totally agree!

Very well said. I totally agree!

While I agree there is an underlying problem. There are many who would protest and raise a great of hell about it. There are more who would complain that we aren't doing enough for those who don't have a clue or are greedy and want something for nothing. It's hard for me to believe that a financial institution would agree to loan pretty much anyone a large amount of money just on a signature.

Remember what Clinton said, when they pretty much gutted the requirements for down payments, job verification, and the not require some form of ID to verify who they were lending to. He said every american should have the right to own their own home. He didn't say anything about being able to pay for it.

Fannie and Freddie and the subsequent bailout can be blamed on the apathy of the USA taxpayer.

not necessarily. Americans can be complacent at many things. In a representative Democracy, officials are elected to make things happen when we are complacent.

In the case of Freddie and Fannie, their situation was flagged long ago. The same Democrats claiming to be solving the problem now are the ones that defeated legislation that would have prevented this from happening.

Greenspan said for years there was an issue... and the Confress and Senate did nothing.

This isn't about just Bush. This is about ALL of Washington dropping the ball.

not necessarily. Americans can be complacent at many things. In a representative Democracy, officials are elected to make things happen when we are complacent.

In the case of Freddie and Fannie, their situation was flagged long ago. The same Democrats claiming to be solving the problem now are the ones that defeated legislation that would have prevented this from happening.

Greenspan said for years there was an issue... and the Confress and Senate did nothing.

This isn't about just Bush. This is about ALL of Washington dropping the ball.

Here are many in the House that voted for it and passed it twice in the house. Read down in the article and they have links to the votes. Problem is that the Senate never took it up for a vote when each side had an opportunity with control.

Mark Udall voted against tougher regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

The roll call votes on the Federal Housing Reform Act show that Udall supported overall passage of the bill twice. In 2005, the bill passed by 331 to 90, with Udall voting yes. He again voted for the bill in 2007, when it passed the House by 313-to-104. Both times, the Senate failed to take up the bill.

Summaries of the bill explicitly say it would have created an agency that would have supervised and regulated Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

You can blame this side or that side but the FACT is both sides had control of the Senate and did nothing.

Here are many in the House that voted for it and passed it twice in the house. Read down in the article and they have links to the votes. Problem is that the Senate never took it up for a vote when each side had an opportunity with control.

You can blame this side or that side but the FACT is both sides had control of the Senate and did nothing.

I don't think they are looking for the real facts or real truth. A pieced together youtube video look and sound good and I'm sure that's why no one responded...

95% of all politicians are lawyers on a power trip who could easily make more money in private practice than being a public servant for a pittance wage. It seems Very Clear that the Only reason they get into politics is to get paid even BiggerBucks to be a professional influence peddler to the highest bidder... in other words, they are WH#$ES and would sell out to anyone if the price is right and regardless of whether society is hurt or not. Much cost and harm is deflected to society and the taxpayers by corporations and other powerful interests and the influence peddling politicians only represent themselves and their interests. For instance, a recent gallup poll stated that 74% (probably even higher than that and the elite love to fudge numbers to fit their cause) of Americans are against the war in Iraq but yet the self-serving influence-peddling politicians who are supposed to be represantives of our opinions just do what they (and the people paying them, threatening them, etc) want to do. Both parties are essencially the same in the the most important area and that is those 2 parties are controlled by the same PuppetMasters, and that is exactly the way PM's like it. As long as we think we have a choice, we are content to a point but have you ever wondered why we are always voting for the best of 2 lousy choices and not too excited about either? I believe the capitalistic political system we have in the U.S. is corrupt beyond imagination and the U.S. citizens are the workhorse they exploit for the gain of the politicians, corporations, rich fat cats, and others. Those same politicians that allowed us to into a 12 Trillion Dollar Debt to foriegners will sell us all out to the foriegners who will soon own us lock, stock, and barrel. I read recently in the Investors Business Daily that foriegn govts. and investors will be shying away from our paper and begin buying U.S. Hard Assets such as real estate, toll roads, infrastructure such as bridges and soon we will be renting from and paying the foriegners for us to live in our own country. What scares the the power structure the most is having politicians elected that don't play the same old game that has been played for way too long. At the end of the day if I'm not truly happy for the candidate I voted for and I'm only voting for the least of 2 evils, then the scumbags at the top who had it all figured out, Have Won Again. They love to tell us that voting for a third party is a wasted vote, BUT technically a third party can win with a little over 1/3 of the vote not 50% and that scares the criminals-at-top Big Time. The way I see it, the only way to break the stranglehold on our choices and get out of the rut they keep steering us to is to vote for the Best candidate regardless of whether you think they have a chance or not. As the viability of the 3rd party increases election after election, eventually 34-35% of the votes will be enough to win and we can start booting the crooks out of our govt. and into prison or to the the firing squad.

I read recently in the Investors Business Daily that foriegn govts. and investors will be shying away from our paper and begin buying U.S. Hard Assets such as real estate, toll roads, infrastructure such as bridges and soon we will be renting from and paying the foriegners for us to live in our own country.

They are already doing that.

that's what I'm saying.

ALL of Washington dropped the ball. Absolutely NONE of them have any right to call themselves heroes or saviors when both parties allowed this to happen.

we should be so lucky.

Here is an interesting column I read. This seems about the time that the two party system took over strong.

Political Monopoly Power

It turns out that in 1929 Congress passed a bill fixing the number of representatives at 435. Prior to that, the number of congressional districts was increased every 10 years, from 1790 to 1910, except one, after a population census was taken.