09 FEH Limited observations so far...

wsg32

A few observations so far....

Although I only drove my 09 FEH Limited yesterday for about 30 miles before I headed to the airport for my travel this week, it seemed to me that the gas engine is rather noisy when it's running and that it doesn't have much power. I don't remember that on the 08 FEH that I test drove earlier this year. Anyone else feel that way too or am I being too picky?

It also seems that from a complete stop, the second you barely touch the gas pedal it goes right from electric to gas engine. Again, that seems quick to me, but I'm guessing I probably haven't learned how to drive this thing the right way, yet.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

WSG

Edited by wsg32

I just got mine today too. I love it, but yes, the engine does seem to be louder than I would have thought it would be. I would also agree with your observation that from a complete stop, the moment you touch the gas pedal, the gas engine starts immediately. Lets see what others think about it as we are all getting them now...

Exact same thing. Louder engine than I expected. If I'm ever so gentle with the accelerator I can accelerate without it going into ICE. But forget the gentleness if there's a car behind you. Accelerating this slow to stay in EV would get you shot by me if I had to drive behind you. And forget the 40mph, I don't know who's smoking what, but it won't stay in EV past 25mph, even with the A/C off.

Everything else about this car is really cool so far, though, especially the nav system. And I found the 3-step backseat folding to be easier than I thought. I also decided to purchase the remote keyless system. I'm definitely sure this will be one of my best investments in this car.

Sorry to be the 'other side of the conversation' but once you get used to driving...and it won't take you long at all...you will have a hard time keeping it out of EV at 40 and under. The only time I am not really in EV under 40 is from a complete stop with traffic pounding behind me. Otherwise, yes, I can start from a stop in EV. It is a verrrrrrry slow start but it can be done.

The engine noise is not that excessive to me. But I am also considering that this is an SUV and not a Lexus sedan. The pickup from the gas engine and the electric motor combined are quite good when you need to go but you will take a hit on your FE.

I agree with the engine being loud, I'm pretty sure that's because it idles a lot higher than regular vehicles (almost 2000 rpm). But I definitely have to disagree with the lack of power. I always seem to have all the power that I need, especially on the highway. I've put my foot to the floor and even gotten some noise out of the tires. As for starts from a complete stop, I've only had the engine start when I know that the battery is a little low on charge. Anything under 40 will almost always get me EV mode. I'm averaging low 30s with normal driving (no special hybrid techniques) and 6700 miles. Completely satisfied with everything about it :)

I agree with the engine being loud, I'm pretty sure that's because it idles a lot higher than regular vehicles (almost 2000 rpm). But I definitely have to disagree with the lack of power. I always seem to have all the power that I need, especially on the highway. I've put my foot to the floor and even gotten some noise out of the tires. As for starts from a complete stop, I've only had the engine start when I know that the battery is a little low on charge. Anything under 40 will almost always get me EV mode. I'm averaging low 30s with normal driving (no special hybrid techniques) and 6700 miles. Completely satisfied with everything about it :)

I appreciate the feedback and observations. Again, I only drove it 30 miles before I parked it at the airport and headed out of town for this week. I'm anxious to spend some more time behind the wheel.

I thought the 2008 was worse for engine noise and that was one of the reasons I waited for the 2009. I actually wanted a MMH but after several test drives, the MMH was a lot louder than the FEH.

Yeah, getting into EV mode is easy. I liken it to trying to get the car to shift to an imaginary 5th gear just like forcing a shift in any other automatic car.