Diesel Jetta beats hybrid prius

ford-boy

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue with the diesel VW's is the EGR system, which tends to gum up the intercooler and intake manifold with a supher sort of "gunk" at the 100,000 mile mark. The online community for this vehicle has a way of disabling this "feature" and elliminating the problem. Alternately, there are sulvents and sandblasting procedures that can be used on the effected parts. Personally, I probably would go for the "disabling" approach. It's academic anyway, because the lower sulpher fuel should take care of this or, better yet, biodiesel.

I am pretty patriotic about this. I would trade in my SUV tomorrow for a diesel VW if I could run it on biodiesel, even at $5 a gallon I still would be incuring less expense. Oh, about less room and less "utility", eh, I can deal if it meant we weren't so dependent on foreign oil.

Edited by bec5150

I am pretty patriotic about this. I would trade in my SUV tomorrow for a diesel VW if I could run it on biodiesel, even at $5 a gallon I still would be incurring less expense. Oh, about less room and less "utility", eh, I can deal if it meant we weren't so dependent on foreign oil.

Maybe Ford will let us be even more patriotic and give us 4 Cyl diesel in a Ranger, Focus or better yet, a "B" size car!

It's no secret Diesel can be as good or better than a hybrid powertrain. Too bad no one supports diesel in NA, and the fuel is still so dirty (relative to Europe) - that's probably the biggest hurdle.

Is Toyo working on a 94 MPG car to be released for the 2008 MY as the Prius update?

Is Toyo working on a 94 mpg Prius update for the 2008 MY?

Is Toyo working on a 94 MPG car to be released for the 2008 MY as the Prius update?

Is Toyo working on a 94 mpg Prius update for the 2008 MY?

What diesel the size of a compact or midsize car gets 94mpg in the real world? The Jetta got 44mpg.

Even with diesel getting slightly higher fuel economy than hybrids, many people still dont like the fact diesel isn't as widely available. Plus lots of people aren't above getting something they dont really want just to get a few (or even a dozen) mpg better.

It looks like there will be a couple of different types of hybrids in the future. One being the gas/elec that we have now only updated with Capacitor drive instead of banks of batteries. This could possibly be a 90 mpg car. The other will be hydraulic hybrid. I don't think the asians will get behind the HH, as they will take the hi-tech route with electric. Toyo is pretty well locked in to hybrid synergy stuff for most, if not all, their cars by 2010. I believe the domestics will go the HH route. The EPA has already issued a press release that stated their proof of concept, 3800 lb. car got 80 mpg. It will interesting to see a battle like that in the market place.

It looks like there will be a couple of different types of hybrids in the future. One being the gas/elec that we have now only updated with Capacitor drive instead of banks of batteries. This could possibly be a 90 mpg car. The other will be hydraulic hybrid. I don't think the asians will get behind the HH, as they will take the hi-tech route with electric. Toyo is pretty well locked in to hybrid synergy stuff for most, if not all, their cars by 2010. I believe the domestics will go the HH route. The EPA has already issued a press release that stated their proof of concept, 3800 lb. car got 80 mpg. It will interesting to see a battle like that in the market place.

That's all hearsay though.

Gas in Japan runs around 5 bucks a gallon, so if there is a magic bullet for fuel economy, you can bet they will be on it.

Plenty of foreign companies have great innovative products that aren't released here until the market is perceived to be accepting of it. That's why the Prius wasn't brought here when gas was at a buck a gallon in 1999, even though it had been out for a couple of years already.

There have been working electric cars for decades now, but it just hasn't happened... let's just say I'm not holding my breath for anything new just yet. I'll believe it when I see it.

How patriotic will the B sized car be when they import them from Mexico or Brazil? :shrug:

Well, if bought brand new, then some $$ goes to Dearborn instead of Tokyo, Stuttgart, or Seoul.

Also, people on news shows still claim that "they have the technology hidden away to get 90MPG". If true, in $5 a gallon countries, it would be common.

Edited by 630land