Daytime Running Lights on FEHL??

twolostminds

I was surfing around the interent looking for DRL's for the Escape Hybrid and found this in a post over at fordedgeforum.com

The Daytime Running lights are controlled by the smart juntion box, ( SJB)

The module is located under the dash.

It is programmable with a IDS scanner via the OBDll connector.

You can go to exterior lighting then Daytime Running Lights ( DRL) and turn on or off this feature.

Yes I know that DRL are required in Canada and I am not sure if Ford Tech Help Line

will allow the dealer to reprograme this module.

Section 417-01 and 418 of the workshop manual describe how the module works and also the

procedure for programming a new module.

I usually get requests to turn on the Daytime Running Lights from dealers......oh well thats a totally different situation.

Anyone know if this is the same for the Escape Hybrid?

I was surfing around the interent looking for DRL's for the Escape Hybrid and found this in a post over at fordedgeforum.com

Anyone know if this is the same for the Escape Hybrid?

The problem of activating a feature that was not originally equipped on your vehicle is that it most likely may have conflicts with other as built features in your vehicle. This is why you have a VIN so the tech can reprogram the exact information that was programmed in your PCM at the time it was built. What I'm saying is you just can't program the Smart Junction Box in your vehicle to operate with the other programmed information you have as another As Built Vehicle. Most of the time the original program is retrieved from the old As Built Smart Junction Box or PCM if there is a problem or needs replacing and that same program is reinstalled. If the information can't be retrieved the tech uses your VIN to ask the As-Built Data Center for your vehicle configuration in their database. If you try to take an as built programming of a vehicle that has a different VIN, you could have all kinds of problems and conflicts with your vehicle. Also, one poster stated he now has problems with his lights because the prior owner had the DRL activated. His complaint was the dealer wanted to much money to repair the problem now. Most likely it was the reason the original owner wanted to sale his FEH.

This is why you just can't update programs in your vehicle's PCM that have been improved in later models.

The problem of activating a feature that was not originally equipped on your vehicle is that it most likely may have conflicts with other as built features in your vehicle. This is why you have a VIN so the tech can reprogram the exact information that was programmed in your PCM at the time it was built. What I'm saying is you just can't program the Smart Junction Box in your vehicle to operate with the other programmed information you have as another As Built Vehicle. Most of the time the original program is retrieved from the old As Built Smart Junction Box or PCM if there is a problem or needs replacing and that same program is reinstalled. If the information can't be retrieved the tech uses your VIN to ask the As-Built Data Center for your vehicle configuration in their database. If you try to take an as built programming of a vehicle that has a different VIN, you could have all kinds of problems and conflicts with your vehicle. Also, one poster stated he now has problems with his lights because the prior owner had the DRL activated. His complaint was the dealer wanted to much money to repair the problem now. Most likely it was the reason the original owner wanted to sale his FEH.

This is why you just can't update programs in your vehicle's PCM that have been improved in later models.

Yeah, I had thought about that but was hoping that because the fleet escape hybrids and all canadian escape hybrids come with DRL's that maybe it would be possible to activate it in our U.S. FEHL's.

Edit (added this to my post)

Option: 942 Daytime Running Lights (Fleet)

If our FEH's are like the Edge then it wouldnt really be changing the software, just changing an available option within the software. If that is the case then if the PCM ever needs to be replaced or reprogramed then we would just have to notify the tech of the option change. I'm hoping this is possible as if it is I would have my dealership make the option change.

Edited by twolostminds

I have had my 08 FEH DRLs turned on. It took a trip to 2 dealers to get it done. I made it as a simple request to the first one and I got back the standard answer "Not Equipped". I went to a 2nd Dealer where I am friends with the Service Advisor. She had her Tech bring his laptop into the service aisle and hook up to it. This was for experimentation and to reprogram the PCM with a "ICE runnign rough" update. The Tech and I started looking on the laptop for the option. I believe we went into personality and it came up with a windows "SPLAT" that said essentially said, do not proceed past this point except at your own risk etc. I blessed him and told him to go forth young man. We found DRL and various other options that would have never crossed my mind of turning off nor did I desire (PAX Airbag, Seatbelt chime). So we enabled DRL and did the PCM update.

Word of warning, the car is super smart. The update got loaded, but no headlights. They only come on when the car is in Drive. So we initially thought we did nothing, but we really did.

I have had my 08 FEH DRLs turned on. It took a trip to 2 dealers to get it done. I made it as a simple request to the first one and I got back the standard answer "Not Equipped". I went to a 2nd Dealer where I am friends with the Service Advisor. She had her Tech bring his laptop into the service aisle and hook up to it. This was for experimentation and to reprogram the PCM with a "ICE runnign rough" update. The Tech and I started looking on the laptop for the option. I believe we went into personality and it came up with a windows "SPLAT" that said essentially said, do not proceed past this point except at your own risk etc. I blessed him and told him to go forth young man. We found DRL and various other options that would have never crossed my mind of turning off nor did I desire (PAX Airbag, Seatbelt chime). So we enabled DRL and did the PCM update.

Word of warning, the car is super smart. The update got loaded, but no headlights. They only come on when the car is in Drive. So we initially thought we did nothing, but we really did.

:happy feet: :happy feet: AWESOME!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

DRL are a simple change that works on all Escapes that must be programmed via the Smart Junction Box. All Ford Dealers in Canada or located on the Northern border know how to do this procedure. All cars are equipped with the feature but only are configured if on Fleet or state law (such as Vermont)

DRL are a simple change that works on all Escapes that must be programmed via the Smart Junction Box. All Ford Dealers in Canada or located on the Northern border know how to do this procedure. All cars are equipped with the feature but only are configured if on Fleet or state law (such as Vermont)

In my exceitment yesterday, I forgot to ask if anyone could outline the exact procedure or reference the shop manual pages to make this change so I can make it easier for my dealership techs to find. Thanks

In my exceitment yesterday, I forgot to ask if anyone could outline the exact procedure or reference the shop manual pages to make this change so I can make it easier for my dealership techs to find. Thanks

The DRL can be turned on by hooking up the SCN tool and configuring DRL in the Smart Junction Box (SBJ). DRL are turned on by the duty cycle which gives a lower voltage to the bulb. The duty cycle is when a transistor is turned on and off very quickly to achieve a lower voltage (ie: 12v X 50% duty cycle = aprox 6v)

In the Ford Manual, it reads:

When the ignition switch is in the run position, the headlamps are not on (from the autolamp system or manual control them the headlmap switch), the trans axle is not in park (P) (auto trans) or the parking brake applied (manual trans) the SJB provides a pulse width modulated voltage to the low beam headlamps. this illuminates the headlamps at a reduced intensity.

In the pinpoint test, the manual asks "Is the SBJ DRL configuration enabled?" Set to "enable" to turn on the DRL. This should take no more than 15 minutes and no charge if you have a good relationship with your Ford Service Department.

The DRL can be turned on by hooking up the SCN tool and configuring DRL in the Smart Junction Box (SBJ). DRL are turned on by the duty cycle which gives a lower voltage to the bulb. The duty cycle is when a transistor is turned on and off very quickly to achieve a lower voltage (ie: 12v X 50% duty cycle = aprox 6v)

In the Ford Manual, it reads:

When the ignition switch is in the run position, the headlamps are not on (from the autolamp system or manual control them the headlmap switch), the trans axle is not in park (P) (auto trans) or the parking brake applied (manual trans) the SJB provides a pulse width modulated voltage to the low beam headlamps. this illuminates the headlamps at a reduced intensity.

In the pinpoint test, the manual asks "Is the SBJ DRL configuration enabled?" Set to "enable" to turn on the DRL. This should take no more than 15 minutes and no charge if you have a good relationship with your Ford Service Department.

Here is my concern about what is in my '05 FEH workshop manual:

Daytime Running Lamps

"When installing a new smart junction box (SJB), it must be reconfigured for this feature if originally equipped. Refer to Section 418-01."

You can certainly enable DRL with a diagnostic tool, but my concern is, was the option already contained in the original software. The above quote in the manual "if originally equipped" concerns me. If the manual gave instructions to activate or deactivate DRL, I would not be concerned. The owners manual gives you those options when available like autolocks etc.

Section 418-01 talks about programming parameters contained within the existing software which includes items such as tire size, customer preferences items and anti-theft options. The customer preferences items does open the idea you can just turn on or off DRL, but chapter 417-04-1 on DRL says if originally equipped.

An example happen to me when I pick-up my new '05 FEH and the doors locked as I first drove it. I had heard Ford had some problems with autolocks and choose not to activate them on the '05 FEH. They worked about 3,000 miles and then I started smelling a burning odor a few times and the last time it was very strong and I lost autolocks. Later my PCM had to be reprogrammed, but the tech said he would not activate autolocks again.

I've read post where dealers refused to activate DRL and I've read one post that activated DRL and had problems. Section 418-01 states that some repairs procedures require the modules to be reprogrammed.

If your sure that this is a simple procedure that's being done on a daily basis without problems, fine. It is just not clear enough for me in my '05 manual. I do have the new '09 FEH/MMH PCM/ED manual, but the last time I checked the '09 workshop manuals were not available yet. Helms is to expensive for those manuals anyway, so I'm going to wait for them to show up on ebay.

If your sure that this is a simple procedure that's being done on a daily basis without problems, fine. It is just not clear enough for me in my '05 manual.

Take your truck down to the Ford dealer and give the service manager the print out of my message, and they will do this for you. All vehicles are wired for DRL as it is a statutory requirement for all Canadian vehicles and in some states such as Vermont......., the "If equipped" refers to the standard feature for Fleet and where DRL is an option. I have had the DRL on my 2008 Escape Hybrid turned on and got this information that I am passing on to you is from a Ford Certified Expert at my dealership.

Take yes for an answer.

If your sure that this is a simple procedure that's being done on a daily basis without problems, fine. It is just not clear enough for me in my '05 manual.

Take your truck down to the Ford dealer and give the service manager the print out of my message, and they will do this for you. All vehicles are wired for DRL as it is a statutory requirement for all Canadian vehicles and in some states such as Vermont......., the "If equipped" refers to the standard feature for Fleet and where DRL is an option. I have had the DRL on my 2008 Escape Hybrid turned on and got this information that I am passing on to you is from a Ford Certified Expert at my dealership.

Take yes for an answer.

BCrawly,

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll be having my dealership turn on our DRL's in December when we go in for the Sync 2.0 update.

• 5 months later...

Just a quick and unpleasant update on trying to get DRL activated.

Stopped by the dealership last week to get the Sync update, 5K tire rotation and an oil change. I know, its not due till 10K but I've always done the first one early, a habit from the old "break in" oil change days.

Asked the service manager if he could turn on DRL on an 09 FEHL and he said it shouldn't be a problem. When all was done he told me that for some reason the SCN tool software wouldn't let him do it. The option to turn on DRL was there but it was "greyed out". Said something about Ford starting to put regional restrictions into their SCN software and that I would have to find someone with Vermont or Canadian software on their SCN tool to get the DRL turned on. :(

Any Ford employee's have suggestions other than a long long drive to get them turned on?

• 4 months later...
Just a quick and unpleasant update on trying to get DRL activated.

Stopped by the dealership last week to get the Sync update, 5K tire rotation and an oil change. I know, its not due till 10K but I've always done the first one early, a habit from the old "break in" oil change days.

Asked the service manager if he could turn on DRL on an 09 FEHL and he said it shouldn't be a problem. When all was done he told me that for some reason the SCN tool software wouldn't let him do it. The option to turn on DRL was there but it was "greyed out". Said something about Ford starting to put regional restrictions into their SCN software and that I would have to find someone with Vermont or Canadian software on their SCN tool to get the DRL turned on. :(

Any Ford employee's have suggestions other than a long long drive to get them turned on?

I just purchased a 09 Ecape limited and love my new SUV. Since I live in the Seattle area (about 1.5 hours from Vancover BC) I see lots of Escapes with Daytime running lights. Can any ford employee time me for sure that this option can be safely turned on without hurting the car ?? I have driven fleet vans for years with this option and I miss it. One this to mention is that the tail lamps are not lit when the daytime lights are running and does ford have an override function like GM does for this feature.

I just purchased a 09 Ecape limited and love my new SUV. Since I live in the Seattle area (about 1.5 hours from Vancover BC) I see lots of Escapes with Daytime running lights. Can any ford employee time me for sure that this option can be safely turned on without hurting the car ?? I have driven fleet vans for years with this option and I miss it. One this to mention is that the tail lamps are not lit when the daytime lights are running and does ford have an override function like GM does for this feature.

You have some typos in your post, so it's hard to follow! Not sure if you want to turn DRL OFF/ON!

If your light switch is in the OFF position and your "driving" the DRL are ON.

If your light switch is in any other position the DRL are OFF.

Since they work like this, what's the need to override it?

Edited by wptski

You have some typos in your post, so it's hard to follow! Not sure if you want to turn DRL OFF/ON!

If your light switch is in the OFF position and your "driving" the DRL are ON.

If your light switch is in any other position the DRL are OFF.

Since they work like this, what's the need to override it?

Sorry for the typos, I do want daytime running lights. You asked why would you want an override, I use the override in my GM fleet vehicle when I board the car ferry, as it is mandatory to have only your parking lights on when boarding. With GM’s system with daytime running lights you have to press the override or the Automatic headlight will activate as you board (light level change) even if you only have the switch in the parking light position. I still would like to know if this option can be safely activated in my 2009 Escape limited

Sorry for the typos, I do want daytime running lights. You asked why would you want an override, I use the override in my GM fleet vehicle when I board the car ferry, as it is mandatory to have only your parking lights on when boarding. With GM’s system with daytime running lights you have to press the override or the Automatic headlight will activate as you board (light level change) even if you only have the switch in the parking light position. I still would like to know if this option can be safely activated in my 2009 Escape limited

If you switch to parking lights the DRL don't come ON, they only come ON with the light switch in the OFF position.