Kleenex holder too shallow in the Escape!

vanman628

I owned Explorers for 18 years and liked having a hidden Kleenex box underneath the console lid for easy access.

I got my '09 Escape XLT in August and the holder is in the same place, but it is TOO SHALLOW to accomodate the box of Kleenex "Juniors", unless you crush the box. There is no tissue box sold in the USA that will fit easily in the Escape's holder.

I believe this is an engineering error. I have emailed Ford to see if they will sell produce and sell a replacement holder that is the correct depth.

Anyone else find this problem?

I owned Explorers for 18 years and liked having a hidden Kleenex box underneath the console lid for easy access.

I got my '09 Escape XLT in August and the holder is in the same place, but it is TOO SHALLOW to accomodate the box of Kleenex "Juniors", unless you crush the box. There is no tissue box sold in the USA that will fit easily in the Escape's holder.

I believe this is an engineering error. I have emailed Ford to see if they will sell produce and sell a replacement holder that is the correct depth.

My guess is Ford wanted to allow a small laptop in the center console and had to cut down on the tissue space. I have an '02 Explorer and an '05 FEH and they both hold the old size Kleenex boxes that are getting hard to fine now. Walmart stop selling the three pack and started selling the single box near the checkout. Who knows, Kleenex might be changing to a new smaller box and discontinue the old size for profit reasons. I bought up a dozen boxes a while ago and had to flatten the last one to get it in my '09. I thought the soft packs were to small, but I'll check those out. I'd better buy up a load of the old ones again just in case also.

My guess is Ford wanted to allow a small laptop in the center console and had to cut down on the tissue space. I have an '02 Explorer and an '05 FEH and they both hold the old size Kleenex boxes that are getting hard to fine now. Walmart stop selling the three pack and started selling the single box near the checkout. Who knows, Kleenex might be changing to a new smaller box and discontinue the old size for profit reasons. I bought up a dozen boxes a while ago and had to flatten the last one to get it in my '09. I thought the soft packs were to small, but I'll check those out. I'd better buy up a load of the old ones again just in case also.

You can buy the Kleenex "Juniors" all day long at drugstore.com. That's the only place I can find them.

And, I talked to the folks at Kimberly Clarke (producer of Kleenex products) and they are not aware of any change to the "Juniors" box size. They were also unaware that their product doesn't really fit in the '09 Escapes.

What is the spot where this kleenex holder is found? I am confused as to what you are describing.

"underneath the console lid" describes it pretty well. Center console/arm rest that is.

Are you talking about the small, pullout tray that can be removed and hung off the rear slots outside the center console armrest? And if that is not it can someone take a pic and point out what they are referring to?

Edited by Green Lantern

Are you talking about the small, pullout tray that can be removed and hung off the rear slots outside the center console armrest? And if that is not it can someone take a pic and point out what they are referring to?

No, it's just a holder that's built into the underside of the front center console lid/armrest. You used to be able to put in a box of kleenex junior tissues such that the tissues were available by opening the console.

No, it's just a holder that's built into the underside of the front center console lid/armrest. You used to be able to put in a box of kleenex junior tissues such that the tissues were available by opening the console.

If you are referring to the holder that has two little clips then I was told this was designed to be a business card holder now. I have some literature that stated that and will try to find it.

If you are referring to the holder that has two little clips then I was told this was designed to be a business card holder now. I have some literature that stated that and will try to find it.

No, no. The little box that you can attach to the side of the console is designed to hold business cards, not the clips. Those clips were designed to press the right side of the bottom of the Kleenex box down for a snug fit in the holder. My 2002 Explorer had those clips also, for the same purpose, but the Kleenex box fit perfectly in the Explorer holder, but not in the Escape.

Look at the underside of the arm rest / console lid, near the hinge side. There are two square plastic corner "holders" molded into the underside of the lid. They are just not deep enough to accomodate the Kleenex box, unless you crush the box a little.

No, no. The little box that you can attach to the side of the console is designed to hold business cards, not the clips. Those clips were designed to press the right side of the bottom of the Kleenex box down for a snug fit in the holder. My 2002 Explorer had those clips also, for the same purpose, but the Kleenex box fit perfectly in the Explorer holder, but not in the Escape.

Look at the underside of the arm rest / console lid, near the hinge side. There are two square plastic corner "holders" molded into the underside of the lid. They are just not deep enough to accomodate the Kleenex box, unless you crush the box a little.

Really? That little box is designed to hold business cards? What a freaking waste of space. And thanks for the clarification on the kleenex issue. I will have to look at this closer when I go home tonight.

Really? That little box is designed to hold business cards? What a freaking waste of space. And thanks for the clarification on the kleenex issue. I will have to look at this closer when I go home tonight.

It's funny how these post about the Kleenex holder have come and gone leaving people with a new use for their holder. About two years ago on GH the same subject came up and some people thought the holder was for CD's. Then, everyone went looking for the small box of Kleenex and posted what store they found them. I've been buying and putting them in my Explorers for about 15 years and its been a priority to keep Kleenex there in my vehicles. In fact, it was one of the first things I filled in my '09 FEHL, but I forgot about having to smash the box to get it into the holder.

The business card holder is new to me, but I must say I love all the little storage places like for pens in my '09 FEHL. If you lift out the two storage boxes in the console, you can fit some 15.4" laptops or smaller ones in there. Also, I bet some of you didn't know that there is a nice hiding place under those two storage trays two keep even the small one under there if you want. I have some things I keep there I don't want stolen, but need them in the vehicle. Nice place also to keep your wallet and keys when you go to the beach. That coin holder and CD holder lifts out if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyone found any other spaces?

It's funny how these post about the Kleenex holder have come and gone leaving people with a new use for their holder. About two years ago on GH the same subject came up and some people thought the holder was for CD's. Then, everyone went looking for the small box of Kleenex and posted what store they found them. I've been buying and putting them in my Explorers for about 15 years and its been a priority to keep Kleenex there in my vehicles. In fact, it was one of the first things I filled in my '09 FEHL, but I forgot about having to smash the box to get it into the holder.

The business card holder is new to me, but I must say I love all the little storage places like for pens in my '09 FEHL. If you lift out the two storage boxes in the console, you can fit some 15.4" laptops or smaller ones in there. Also, I bet some of you didn't know that there is a nice hiding place under those two storage trays two keep even the small one under there if you want. I have some things I keep there I don't want stolen, but need them in the vehicle. Nice place also to keep your wallet and keys when you go to the beach. That coin holder and CD holder lifts out if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyone found any other spaces?

You are absolutely right! I didn't even think about hiding the small tray beneath the big bin. That is a great idea! And of course, the small and large bins will attach to the console if need be. I had read about storing a laptop in the console.

Of course, I don't have to hide my keys if I go to the beach, because I have the keyless entry (buttons on the driver's door). I always loved that feature on my Explorers and it was one reason I didn't go for the hybrid. Shame they don't offer it on the FEH. Still love it on my XLT.

You are absolutely right! I didn't even think about hiding the small tray beneath the big bin. That is a great idea! And of course, the small and large bins will attach to the console if need be. I had read about storing a laptop in the console.

Of course, I don't have to hide my keys if I go to the beach, because I have the keyless entry (buttons on the driver's door). I always loved that feature on my Explorers and it was one reason I didn't go for the hybrid. Shame they don't offer it on the FEH. Still love it on my XLT.

For $55 on eBay I got the keyless pad the dealers install for my '05 FEH. I'm like you and must have them. It took 5 minutes to install and program with the same code on my other vehicles. My FEHL has the factory keyless pad also, but the reason I store the keys and my wallet there is because I don't want to carry them on the beach or lose them. A thief would more than likely not know about or check under those storage bins.

• 1 month later...

FACT: No Kleenex box was ever made to fit in the Kleenex box holder on the underside of the Ford Escape (Mazda Tribute) centerconsole armrest.

Real Story: FORD shrunk the armrest design from the Explorer to fit the Escape and forgot to resize the Kleenex box holder on the underside. The Kleenex Junior Box which is readily available and fits in the Explorer armrest Kleenex box holders, is too long and must have its height crushed to slide in the holder on the Escape and Tribute. This is truly a case of Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools in the wrong hands!

Myth1: Kimberly-Clark discontinued a Travel Kleenex box size that fits in the Escape.

Fact1: Kleenex only made a travel size in UK and it would not fit and is discontinued.

Myth2: Kimberly-Clark Professional (US 888-346-4652), the maker of Kleenex is wrongly directing people to www.Drugstore.com to get this mythical discontinued Travel Kleenex box that fits the Escape, for which they cannot supply a part number for. They say they get hundreds of calls on this issue.

Fact2: Drugstore.com sells the the Kleenex Junior Box only, so if you have an Explorer you are fine. They donot have the mythical discontinued Travel Kleenex box for the Escape.

I have badgered Ford and Mazda on the Kleenex box issue with out any resolution or even acknoledgement of the problem. Why Ford has produced this vehicle for 10 years with this design defect shows the reason for there current financial state. If everyone who reads this contacts FORD or Mazda and complains they will be forced to do a recall and change the holder to fit a standard Kimberly-Clark Professional Kleenex Junior Box #21195, but I wouldn't hold my breath....

I have enjoyed the luxury of a Kleenex box holder in the armrest of my old 2001 Explorer, as well as, my new 2007 Explorer, and to purchase a 2009 Mazda Tribute and find this uncorrected design defect really pisses me off!

FACT: No Kleenex box was ever made to fit in the Kleenex box holder on the underside of the Ford Escape (Mazda Tribute) centerconsole armrest.

Real Story: FORD shrunk the armrest design from the Explorer to fit the Escape and forgot to resize the Kleenex box holder on the underside. The Kleenex Junior Box which is readily available and fits in the Explorer armrest Kleenex box holders, is too long and must have its height crushed to slide in the holder on the Escape and Tribute. This is truly a case of Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools in the wrong hands!

Myth1: Kimberly-Clark discontinued a Travel Kleenex box size that fits in the Escape.

Fact1: Kleenex only made a travel size in UK and it would not fit and is discontinued.

Myth2: Kimberly-Clark Professional (US 888-346-4652), the maker of Kleenex is wrongly directing people to www.Drugstore.com to get this mythical discontinued Travel Kleenex box that fits the Escape, for which they cannot supply a part number for. They say they get hundreds of calls on this issue.

Fact2: Drugstore.com sells the the Kleenex Junior Box only, so if you have an Explorer you are fine. They donot have the mythical discontinued Travel Kleenex box for the Escape.

I have badgered Ford and Mazda on the Kleenex box issue with out any resolution or even acknoledgement of the problem. Why Ford has produced this vehicle for 10 years with this design defect shows the reason for there current financial state. If everyone who reads this contacts FORD or Mazda and complains they will be forced to do a recall and change the holder to fit a standard Kimberly-Clark Professional Kleenex Junior Box #21195, but I wouldn't hold my breath....

I have enjoyed the luxury of a Kleenex box holder in the armrest of my old 2001 Explorer, as well as, my new 2007 Explorer, and to purchase a 2009 Mazda Tribute and find this uncorrected design defect really pisses me off!

While it's something that Ford should definitely address in future designs, I don't think there would be a snowball's chance in hell that you would get Ford to recall them to "fix" the ones already produced. Unless you can show there's some sort of safety issue or lost value with the current design, no amount of complaining could "force" a recall. Would it be a good PR move for Ford? Sure. Would it be a cheap one worth pursuing? Almost certainly no.

While it's something that Ford should definitely address in future designs, I don't think there would be a snowball's chance in hell that you would get Ford to recall them to "fix" the ones already produced. Unless you can show there's some sort of safety issue or lost value with the current design, no amount of complaining could "force" a recall. Would it be a good PR move for Ford? Sure. Would it be a cheap one worth pursuing? Almost certainly no.

I see a class action brewing now. All the Escape drivers who have gotten in an accident fumbling for a loose Kleenex box, because they could get one that fit in the holder....I will be sure to blame my next accident on that. :shades:

I see a class action brewing now. All the Escape drivers who have gotten in an accident fumbling for a loose Kleenex box, because they could get one that fit in the holder....I will be sure to blame my next accident on that. :shades:

Does the owners manual make any specific mention of it being a Kleenex holder on the Escape?