Rainforest diesel!

Check this out;

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/nov2008/2008-11-04-02.asp

A unique fungus that makes diesel compounds directly from cellulose has been discovered living in trees in the Patagonian rainforest.

"These are the first organisms that have been found that make many of the ingredients of diesel," said Professor Gary Strobel from Montana State University. "This is a major discovery."

"The fungus can even make these diesel compounds from cellulose, which would make it a better source of biofuel than anything we use at the moment."

And the best part...

The accepted theory is that crude oil, which is used to make diesel, is formed from the remains of dead plants and animals that have been exposed to heat and pressure for millions of years.

Strobel speculates, "If fungi like this are producing myco-diesel all over the rainforest, they may have contributed to the formation of fossil fuels."

Check this out;

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/nov2008/2008-11-04-02.asp

A unique fungus that makes diesel compounds directly from cellulose has been discovered living in trees in the Patagonian rainforest.

"These are the first organisms that have been found that make many of the ingredients of diesel," said Professor Gary Strobel from Montana State University. "This is a major discovery."

"The fungus can even make these diesel compounds from cellulose, which would make it a better source of biofuel than anything we use at the moment."

And the best part...

The accepted theory is that crude oil, which is used to make diesel, is formed from the remains of dead plants and animals that have been exposed to heat and pressure for millions of years.

Strobel speculates, "If fungi like this are producing myco-diesel all over the rainforest, they may have contributed to the formation of fossil fuels."

Interesting.. Puts a whole new spin on the "green" car thing, doesn't it?

All I can think of is Cheech and Chong's "green" van. :hysterical:

Naw not the rainforest. They will get the fungus that does this, extract the organisms and do it in a lab. Mass produce it and then add wood chips/etc and have an alternative fuel source.

The other interesting thing was that maybe oil (hydrocarbon molocule chains) very well might be constantly "made" or "produced" and the stories of empty wells refilling on their own just might be true.

A lot of "what if's" and "might be's" but wouldn't that be cool if someday somebody goes "....HEY....FOSSIL FUEL REALLY IS RENEWABLE!!!" :party2: :banvictory: :happy feet:

I THINK I'LL BUY A F-650 4 DOOR DIESEL FOR A DAILY DRIVER WITH A BUMPER STICKER THAT SAYS "KISS MY ASS SAVETHEPLANET" :kissass:

Naw not the rainforest. They will get the fungus that does this, extract the organisms and do it in a lab. Mass produce it and then add wood chips/etc and have an alternative fuel source.

The other interesting thing was that maybe oil (hydrocarbon molocule chains) very well might be constantly "made" or "produced" and the stories of empty wells refilling on their own just might be true.

A lot of "what if's" and "might be's" but wouldn't that be cool if someday somebody goes "....HEY....FOSSIL FUEL REALLY IS RENEWABLE!!!" :party2: :banvictory: :happy feet:

I THINK I'LL BUY A F-650 4 DOOR DIESEL FOR A DAILY DRIVER WITH A BUMPER STICKER THAT SAYS "KISS MY ASS SAVETHEPLANET" :kissass:

Actually,MIT is come up with a way to trap the carbon from clean coal plants to produce algae in long tubes of water.

Shell out west has a plant that captures carbon in long tubes of water to grow algae,and reuses it for power generation for there refinery.

There was a guy on Dieselstop forums that said some major investors were being lined up to build a large algae tube farm somewhere in the desert out west. Only takes like two to three weeks to produce enough for production of bio-diesel. Also its reneweable,as after its harvetsed it just grows back again and again.

Also burns cleaner than regular diesel supposely. Not sure on cost,but diffently another option.

Because as soon as the world economy gets back on track,the price of oil will head back up.

Edited by rc38

I've said this on numerous post;

It infuriates me that once again the americans are inventing something which the world needs and again after it is developed and all the hard time and money has been invested, foreigners will come in and reverse engineer it. Then they will try to take the market completely with the unlevel playing field.

And yes I'm canadian (a foreigner) but I see this happen over and over and the sheeple keep buying asian products thinking "wow they are so smart, we can't build anything like that".

The american govrnment HAS to repeal the accord with japan and the one sided trade deals with korea, etc. Eventually (like GM) the states is going to say "oops we went to far and now WE need help". The difference is, countries like japan and the rest don't give a rats ass about anything but their own country. At the end of WW2 the allies should of divy'd up the countries we beat. I know it doesn't work that way but man, hammer the germans then instead of helping them, divide the country.LOL You guys take the north, england gets the middle and we'll take the south. Next up on the block, italy, you take the south, Australia takes the middle.......LOL

20 years from now we'll have cows you can "milk" for diesel! LOL!

"Hey mister, this cow I bought from you isn't high test, hell my truck rattles and pings and it's only 10:1, either gimme a high test cow or give me my money back"

"Police are asking people to stay away from gasoline tree's during this heat wave as they are spontaneously combusting. When the temps go down later on in the week they should be safe. People are reminded though, gas tree's are never completely safe and should be avoided when possible"

"Diesel hits an all time low of 11 cents a gallon due to most people growing their own now. Diesel seeds are now $23.00 a pound up $1.00 from this time last week."

(I knew I shouldn't come on here when I'm drinking...)

Plus, they will figure out the critter's DNA sequence, and figure out the genes that make this possible. Then they will try to enhance this capability, and see if other organisms can be engineered to do it as well.

They'll inject it into our bodies in the back of a virus. Then we can plumb our sewers to a refinery instaed of a treatment plant. Energy problem solved!