2001GT, $700 fuel pump!?!?

GTwanted

I'm looking to find out if my Ford dealer ripped me off. My 2001 GT with 39k miles broke down 2 days ago. I had it towed to the dealer and later they called me saying that the fuel pump was the problem, that they could get one and fix it that day. I said ok, then later I got the bill. Numbers aren't exact since I don't have the bill in front of me but they are with in a couple dollars... $310 for the pump and $308 for the labor then some tax which put it all over $700.

Did I get bent over here? Seems excessive to me but I don't know which is why I'm here after all. If I did get ripped off what's my options?\

Dealer was John Bleakley Ford, Lithia Springs, GA. Right off I-20.

Thanks.

I'm looking to find out if my Ford dealer ripped me off. My 2001 GT with 39k miles broke down 2 days ago. I had it towed to the dealer and later they called me saying that the fuel pump was the problem, that they could get one and fix it that day. I said ok, then later I got the bill. Numbers aren't exact since I don't have the bill in front of me but they are with in a couple dollars... $310 for the pump and $308 for the labor then some tax which put it all over $700.

Did I get bent over here? Seems excessive to me but I don't know which is why I'm here after all. If I did get ripped off what's my options?\

Thanks.

Not sure on the pump price, but you can probobly check that pretty easily. Here in NYS, labor rates tend to hover between $70-$75 per hour depending on the shop. I think the 2001 had an in tank fuel pump (could be wrong), which would require that the tank be dropped. That being said, it shouldn't take over four hours to do. How many hours of labor did they charge you, and what is their rate? I could check to see how many hours our shop gets for the job...

Thanks.

Hi GTwanted. :D All you need to do is the following: Call two or three of your other local Ford Dealers. Ask to speak to the Parts Department. Tell them you need a new fuel pump installed in your 2001 Mustang GT and would like to know how much their Dealership will charge for the job. They will look it up and tell you the price for the pump and installation.

Compare the prices they quote to what you were charged. If the other Dealerships quotes are notably less, get their estimate in writing. Then bring it to your Dealership and speak to the Service Manager and point out the apparent "mistake".

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Pump seems cheap actually. Labor for R+R is about 2 hours according to the motor manual. Add diagnosis time, also around 2 hours by the book and probably a fuel filter replacement (about a half hour). Four and a half hours of labor for $308 is pretty good, puts their labor rate about 68-70 an hour, which for my area is really low, dealership or not.

Edited by YT90SC