2010 hybrid mileage...

MGallun

I believe Ford is putting the range at somewhere around 30 or so miles on battery alone. Don't quote me on that though. After that, it recharges by cycling the engine on, even if it is still using the electric motors for propulsion.

I've been waiting on reports of the range in miles for the '10 Fusion Hybrid because Ford has said it was extended over the FEH. I've seen two articles saying the range is 8 miles, but that can't be true because Ford has not released that information. I would estimate a maximum of 3 miles based on my '09 FEH, but that's only a guess. This is not a plug-in Hybrid like the ones being tested by Ford's FEH with California Edison Electric. Those plug-in models have a much more powerful Lithium Ion battery and may reach 30 miles under 40mph. We should know more soon from the LA Auto Show.

Calling Ford “the Number One producer of hybrids in North America,” marketing head Jim Farley said at the Los Angeles Auto Show that the Fusion Hybrid would be the most fuel-efficient midsize sedan on sale. The car will return 39 miles per gallon on the EPA city cycle, said chief engineer J.D. Shanahan, and highway mileage “at least 6 miles a gallon better than Camry Hybrid”—which would be 40 mpg or higher. This beats the mileage for the 2008 Camry Hybrid, at 33/34 (city/highway). Other impressive statistics for the Fusion Hybrid include pure electric speeds as high as 47 miles per hour, up to 2 miles of continuous electric-only driving, and a range of 700 city miles on one tank of gasoline.

or time to drive.. if it could go up to 47mph.. i could drive all around town all day and never use gas engine.. but realisticly how long can u just run around on the electric motor? and, how would it recharge?

regenerative braking has only 30% efficiency - so you WILL deplete your battery eventually. the Escape Hybrid can cruise stop sign to stop sign for about 3 miles .. then the battery is dead. The Fusion should manage a good deal more, but I think 30 miles is overstatement ... the batter might be able to propel the car at steady pace of say 45mph for 30 miles, but that is not city driving. (and I doubt the battery can do even that - that is Vold meeting figure ... and I doubt Ford can do it witha simple paralel hybrid)

Igor

well the escape still got 35-40 mpg in city when I drove it .. even when my exd drove it - and she dorve it like a complete non hybrid - she managed 28-30mpg ... that is not bad for a small SUV/crossover.

Igor

Not bad I suppose. I think it's still a good decade off before I'll finally consider buying one though.

I saw the Fusion Hybrid at the San Francisco International Auto Show today. It looks better in person than it does in photos, at least to me (although I still personally prefer the '08-'09 look). The Ford people on the floor didn't have specs available, and when I asked about highway mileage, one guy gave the off-the-top-of-his-head answer that he believes it will be 32-35. If that is the case, that's a little disappointing, but since overall it will still have better mileage than the Toyota Camry Hybrid, I'll still get one.

I saw the Fusion Hybrid at the San Francisco International Auto Show today. It looks better in person than it does in photos, at least to me (although I still personally prefer the '08-'09 look). The Ford people on the floor didn't have specs available, and when I asked about highway mileage, one guy gave the off-the-top-of-his-head answer that he believes it will be 32-35. If that is the case, that's a little disappointing, but since overall it will still have better mileage than the Toyota Camry Hybrid, I'll still get one.

Ford says 39MPG city in the official press release.

• 3 weeks later...
Only 3 miles on battery alone? Yeesh. Hybrids are even more worthless than I first suspected.

Nick, you ask this of me:

"Please find where I said that hybrids were bad, in particular the Fusion hybrid. In another thread I am thoroughly PRAISING it."

Is this the thread you were thoroughly PRAISING it? I think people reading your comments that are interested in purchasing any Ford products need to really see your bias for fuel efficient vehicles. You know nothing about them and hate those that do. Your insults to me and backing Big Oil is not helping Ford, so why do you post on BlueOval.com as a Moderator on Hybrid issues? Your comment in this thread that you thought the Fusion Hybrid could go 30 miles in electric is down right stupid. I didn't want to post that but since you got really smart ass with me, here it is.

You brag about your Cobra Mustang: "My Cobra gets about 17 mpg. I think I'll take it for a spin just to offset your hybrid." That really makes sense Nick. When I was young, I owned an original '67 GT 500 Cobra 427 medium riser with 2 factory installed 600 CFM Holly's from Shelly American at the LAX Airport. In other words, I've been more than there and done much more than a 97 SVT Cobra long ago. I only had four speed gears, but she was turning 10 second quarter miles with me behind the wheel. I turned that into better than 50mpg in my hybrids to protect our environment and be more efficient. Go ahead and take your Cobra for a spin to offset my hybrid dummy.

Edited by GaryG

Nick, you ask this of me:

"Please find where I said that hybrids were bad, in particular the Fusion hybrid. In another thread I am thoroughly PRAISING it."

Is this the thread you were thoroughly PRAISING it? I think people reading your comments that are interested in purchasing any Ford products need to really see your bias for fuel efficient vehicles. You know nothing about them and hate those that do. Your insults to me and backing Big Oil is not helping Ford, so why do you post on BlueOval.com as a Moderator on Hybrid issues? Your comment in this thread that you thought the Fusion Hybrid could go 30 miles in electric is down right stupid. I didn't want to post that but since you got really smart ass with me, here it is.

You brag about your Cobra Mustang: "My Cobra gets about 17 mpg. I think I'll take it for a spin just to offset your hybrid." That really makes sense Nick. When I was young, I owned an original '67 GT 500 Cobra 427 medium riser with 2 factory installed 600 CFM Holly's from Shelly American at the LAX Airport. In other words, I've been more than there and done much more than a 97 SVT Cobra long ago. I only had four speed gears, but she was turning 10 second quarter miles with me behind the wheel. I turned that into better than 50mpg in my hybrids to protect our environment and be more efficient. Go ahead and take your Cobra for a spin to offset my hybrid dummy.

No, this isn't the thread where I was praising hybrids. Try visiting the thread about the Fusion's milage. And yes, I'll keep driving my Cobra to offset your environaziism. Call me a Big Oil supporter if you want. I really don't care. To me, yeah, all hybrids pretty much suck. I'm just glad to see that the Fusion hybrid appears to now be the least suckiest of them.

And what does my being a moderator have to do with anything? I'm not a robot. I still have an opinion. I'm still going to post it. Obviously I don't love hybrids. That doesn't mean I can't still post my thoughts on them, does it?

EDIT: Not sure why you hybrid folk always bring up politics and "Big Oil" when it comes to those of us who don't like them anyway. I don't like them because, by most accounts, they are boring as sin to drive. I enjoy a car that can get out of its own way. If that means spending more at the gas pump, so be it, but it has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting anything politically. I like FUN cars. I guess that's a crime to those who drive 55 mph in the fast lane though. I'll tell you what: as soon as there is a hybrid out there that can manage 0-60 around 5 seconds, handles and brakes decently, and doesn't cost more than $40,000, I'll buy one. Until then, keep your hybrids. I'm not interested.

So then you must ask: Why are you posting here then? Simple. I like Ford. Even though I don't like every Ford vehicle, I still want those vehicles to be better than the competitors'. It appears the Fusion hybrid is better than the competitors' hybrids, so while I don't like hybrids, I'm glad Ford is offering a product better than the competition and I will still commend them for that.

Edited by NickF1011

No, this isn't the thread where I was praising hybrids. Try visiting the thread about the Fusion's milage. And yes, I'll keep driving my Cobra to offset your environaziism. Call me a Big Oil supporter if you want. I really don't care. To me, yeah, all hybrids pretty much suck. I'm just glad to see that the Fusion hybrid appears to now be the least suckiest of them.

And what does my being a moderator have to do with anything? I'm not a robot. I still have an opinion. I'm still going to post it. Obviously I don't love hybrids. That doesn't mean I can't still post my thoughts on them, does it?

EDIT: Not sure why you hybrid folk always bring up politics and "Big Oil" when it comes to those of us who don't like them anyway. I don't like them because, by most accounts, they are boring as sin to drive. I enjoy a car that can get out of its own way. If that means spending more at the gas pump, so be it, but it has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting anything politically. I like FUN cars. I guess that's a crime to those who drive 55 mph in the fast lane though. I'll tell you what: as soon as there is a hybrid out there that can manage 0-60 around 5 seconds, handles and brakes decently, and doesn't cost more than $40,000, I'll buy one. Until then, keep your hybrids. I'm not interested.

So then you must ask: Why are you posting here then? Simple. I like Ford. Even though I don't like every Ford vehicle, I still want those vehicles to be better than the competitors'. It appears the Fusion hybrid is better than the competitors' hybrids, so while I don't like hybrids, I'm glad Ford is offering a product better than the competition and I will still commend them for that.

My Father handed me down his '66 Galaxie 500 Conv. 4 speed 7 liter (428cu in) in 1970 because it was using oil. That was my first engine rebuild and got me into racing. I've owned 13 mustangs since that time and more than a few were not boring to drive. Here are 11 of them:

'67 Shelby GT 500 427 and 428 4 speed

'67 Mustang Fastback 289 auto

'681/2 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed Race Version (NHRA with only 50 made)

'69 Mustang Grande 390 auto

'77 Mustang Cobra II 302 auto

'79 Mustang 302 auto

'79 Mustang Pace Car 302 auto

'82 Mustang GT 302 auto

'85 Mustang GT 350 auto T tops

'87 Mustang GT 302 auto

I've watched all the new models come out since those and I'd really love to have one of the new 500hp Shelby GT 500. I may pick one up when my last 17 year old kid leaves home for a better life, but I don't want him following in my racing steps and end up rapping himself around a telephone pole.

What you don't understand is most owners of hybrids love them and find then real fun to drive. It may seem strange, but this is better than racing. The competition can be interesting for some, but most just like the personal challenge to them self. You will never understand my opinion till you take that first step in owning one.

Ford has now proven to be once again the leader in a market they were late to enter. The Ford Fusion Hybrid is already being discussed in Honda Civic Hybrid Forums as a major competitor (MPG wise) to their smaller hybrid vehicles. Many Prius and Honda Hybrid owners are now buying the FEH/MMH as their family vehicle because of its excellent mileage and space.

I just don't think you should make false statements that hybrids are worthless when you know nothing about them yet.

What you don't understand is most owners of hybrids love them and find then real fun to drive. It may seem strange, but this is better than racing. The competition can be interesting for some, but most just like the personal challenge to them self. You will never understand my opinion till you take that first step in owning one.

I guess your definition of fun is different than mine. I find no thrill at all in comparing what my gas guage does compared to my neighbor. None. Thrilling is kicking the back end out around a turn or lighting up the tires in a cloud of smoke on some dark empty stretch of road.

I just don't think you should make false statements that hybrids are worthless when you know nothing about them yet.

I understand that hybrids are not for me. I'm not exactly sure where I made any "false statements" about them either. To me, they are worthless. They have no remarkable performance characteristics whatsoever other than fuel economy, which I could personally care less about. Like I said, the day an automaker makes a hybrid that can perform like my Cobra, I'll be first in line to buy one, but it won't be a day before then.

I guess your definition of fun is different than mine. I find no thrill at all in comparing what my gas guage does compared to my neighbor. None. Thrilling is kicking the back end out around a turn or lighting up the tires in a cloud of smoke on some dark empty stretch of road.

I understand that hybrids are not for me. I'm not exactly sure where I made any "false statements" about them either. To me, they are worthless. They have no remarkable performance characteristics whatsoever other than fuel economy, which I could personally care less about. Like I said, the day an automaker makes a hybrid that can perform like my Cobra, I'll be first in line to buy one, but it won't be a day before then.

Until then maybe the alleged 2010 2.0 EcoBoost Fusion will tide you over.... For a sedan. No competition ofr your Cobra.

Steering with the throttle around a turn can amuse me for hours.

Until then maybe the alleged 2010 2.0 EcoBoost Fusion will tide you over.... For a sedan. No competition ofr your Cobra.

Steering with the throttle around a turn can amuse me for hours.

The EcoBoost intrigues me. Right now I'm more interested in the 3.5 Sport. More accurately, the new 3.5 MKZ Sport. (Be nice if it got the 3.7 instead though...)

The Lexus GS450h has 340hp from a V6 (5.2 sec 0-60), and the Chevy Tahoe Hybrid has 332 hp. The old Accord hybrid had 255hp. There are a few hybrids around that are built for performance and not just economy.

The Lexus GS450h has 340hp from a V6 (5.2 sec 0-60), and the Chevy Tahoe Hybrid has 332 hp. The old Accord hybrid had 255hp. There are a few hybrids around that are built for performance and not just economy.

Those are all losers Hybrids like the opinions of Nick. He says he likes:

"Thrilling is kicking the back end out around a turn or lighting up the tires in a cloud of smoke on some dark empty stretch of road." How stupid can a Ford Blue Oval moderator be? Yet, how stupid can someone win a race spinning out? This guy is a loser on race day for sure! There is no question I would kick his ass with his own Mustang Cobra vehicle every time the big mouth wants to go for it. He is not only stupid about hybrids, he is stupid about Cobra's, Care to challenge me Nick?

Those are all losers Hybrids like the opinions of Nick. He says he likes:

"Thrilling is kicking the back end out around a turn or lighting up the tires in a cloud of smoke on some dark empty stretch of road." How stupid can a Ford Blue Oval moderator be? Yet, how stupid can someone win a race spinning out? This guy is a loser on race day for sure! There is no question I would kick his ass with his own Mustang Cobra vehicle every time the big mouth wants to go for it. He is not only stupid about hybrids, he is stupid about Cobra's, Care to challenge me Nick?

Thanks for the proposed pissing match. I'll pass though. But, since you mention it, yes the Lexus hybrids are a complete waste of time too - and their utter lack of sales supports my position on that.

And who the heck said anything about "winning a race" while spinning the tires? Those run completely contrary to one another and I said nothing that even insinuated I believed otherwise. Way to jump to conclusions....again.

But, I did manage to run 13.82 @ 101.9 in my Cobra when it was bone stock in the middle of summer. I got a 1.98 60' on that one. I assure you I wasn't "lighting up the tires in a cloud of smoke" on that run. I can drive it, thanks. :yup:

Seriously, I don't recall attacking you personally. Why you are insisting upon doing it to me makes me curious. Is it because I offended the happy hybrid owner by saying I think they suck? Well. Get over it.

Edited by NickF1011

Getting back to Ford's future with their great Hybrids, get a load of this:

"The battery supplies enough glowing ponies to propel the car to speeds up to 47 mph on all-electric power. This is key to the car's in-city mileage. On my 50-mile drive, I was able to feather-foot the throttle enough to accelerate to commuting speeds without waking the gas engine. When I needed to accelerate faster, I could dip in to the engine horsepower briefly to overcome inertia, then maintain momentum with the electric motor. At one stage I was getting 63 mpg."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-neil...0,1742816.story

Toyota and Honda are going to need an extra roll of bathroom tissue I would think after reading this!

Getting back to Ford's future with their great Hybrids, get a load of this:

"The battery supplies enough glowing ponies to propel the car to speeds up to 47 mph on all-electric power. This is key to the car's in-city mileage. On my 50-mile drive, I was able to feather-foot the throttle enough to accelerate to commuting speeds without waking the gas engine. When I needed to accelerate faster, I could dip in to the engine horsepower briefly to overcome inertia, then maintain momentum with the electric motor. At one stage I was getting 63 mpg."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-neil...0,1742816.story

Toyota and Honda are going to need an extra roll of bathroom tissue I would think after reading this!

Certainly does look as if Ford has one-upped the competition...for now.