Ford-UAW/CAW Tradeoff

Just putting this out there.

IF and only if Ford were to come back looking for more concessions

How about a tradeoff, I'd be willing to give up $5 /Hr. for 2 common Ford shares/Hr.

Saves the company money in the short term and I/We pick up a vested interest in

the company.Should the company do as well as Mullaly thinks it will,we all win.

Kind of like stock options for the little guy!

Same place that Mulallys stock options come from.

Options are not the same as Shares. Options merely lock in a price -- they're the "right to buy". If you offer a stock option at the current trading price, it's nearly free (and thus the company doesn't have to book much cost).

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Options are not the same as Shares. Options merely lock in a price -- they're the "right to buy". If you offer a stock option at the current trading price, it's nearly free (and thus the company doesn't have to book much cost).

A company can issue as many shares as they want.

When an employee exercise an option, the writer of the option may have to provide the shares. If the share price does not exceed the strike price of the option, then the writer owes nothing. If the share price is higher then shares must be provided. Options are very highly leveraged. That means that often an option expires and the holder gets nothing. But if the share price exceed the strike price by a only $1 before they expire, then the option holder would benefit by $100 per option.

When a company issues new shares, they can dilute the value of all the shares. If the company gets something in exchange for the shares, like cash or wage savings, then no problem. If not, then the average value of each share drops. This can lead to a law suit from the share holders.

Also note that the company can write new options, or they can purchase options on the open markets.

If they write the option, then the options cost them nothing, but they are liable to provide the shares.

If they purchase the options, then they have to pay for the options at the market price, but someone else is liable to provide the shares.

Purchasing the options is much less risky, and protects share prices. But options on the open market usually expire after a few months. The company can write there own options to expire over years, which is a benefit to encourage management performance.

Just putting this out there.

IF and only if Ford were to come back looking for more concessions

How about a tradeoff, I'd be willing to give up $5 /Hr. for 2 common Ford shares/Hr.

Saves the company money in the short term and I/We pick up a vested interest in

the company.Should the company do as well as Mullaly thinks it will,we all win.

Kind of like stock options for the little guy!

Okay, maybe I should have asked as a poll.

If it were possible,how many would go for it?