Norfolk, Twin Cities to close

robertlane

It's a sad time, but I guess that's business. My dad retired out of the St. paul plant in 1981 after 30 years service. I was offered employment there in 1979, when the F150 was going big guns. Thank God I was in vocational school at the time and turned down the tempting offer. It's a shame Ford has to make this decision, but St. Paul was landlocked from any reasonable expansion, plus parts supply logistics were disadvantageous. The hydro-electric dam was a huge advantage that kept the plant afloat for many years, but apparently even that couldn't save it this time.

It'll be interesting to see what direction they take for small pickups. I have a hunch they're placing bets on a trade agreement with Thailand, and will import from there. If not, they'll probably build it in Mexico.

I'm wondering if there will be packages in 08' when we close since it will be after the new contract.

Ifyou guys look at the way they plan to idel plants they are transfering the lower guys out first and leave enough to run one shift then cut more and more and when you get to the point you can't cut, you wait for the closing date. All in all the way the contract reads as far as reduction in force it allows the lower senior employees to be placed first and then in the end it appears that the ones that have over 30 and close may have to make a choice. They may have buyouts but they will be in limited numbers. My opinion would be to leave when you can to avoid problems later.

As bad as it sounds when NAP closes limited numbers will be able to follow the truck to either DTP or KC. Like it or not the lower people will have these options first and they will have sign up sheets in very limited numbers. If you see the sheets and you have over say 20 years, sign the damn thing. If you don't you could be forced to either sit on a list to be called or take a buyout.

Really sorry to hear the Norfolk plant is closing. I've have a '97 Ranger XL since it was new, driven 140k miles, and have had absolutely no problems. You guys down there should be proud of yourselves, you have built a fine product for a long time, I just wish Billy Jr. and the others would realize what a mistake they are making.

I was very sorry to hear about the Two Plant closings today, I feel for you Norfolk and Twin Cities guys. As a soon to be Ex-Wixom employee, I know how you guys are feeling right now.

All my relatives live down there in the Norfolk..... Va. beach area, both my parents grew up in Norfolk and lived there until my dad went to Graduate school up here at the University of Michigan.

I'm glad to hear that you guys don't have anyone driving foreign cars to work, But I must say on my last couple visits to Va. Beach I was appalled by the amount of Foreign vehicles on the road. Without any scientific evidence Id say it was at least a 50/50 ratio of Foreign to domestic.....Much Higher than up here in Mi.

Although if the last couple of years of declining domestic sales say anything, maybe you guys are the norm and we're the freaks. But like I said...it really was shocking to see all the Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas down there.

If there's any good to come out of this, maybe some of the foreign car buyers will be affected by this huge loss to the local economy and wake up.

Best wishes

Norfolk and Virginia Beach are huge Navy towns with a much higher number of transient people than other areas of the country which could explain those foreign cars. In my opinion most of the locals, like myself, drive American.

The closing of NAP by Ford comes just after the Navy's anouncment it may close NAS Oceana master jet base (not closed yet but it is only a matter of time.)

Property values and salaries around here are about to hit the ground.

Today is my Mom's funeral but I had to take a moment to say how terribly sorry I was to hear about these 2 plant closings. To all of you who are affected, my prayers are with you & your families. I truly hope that much better things come all your way .

Thank you for all quality hard work.

Bless you all.

This news makes me sick, it is truly hard to take. I live near the plant and work at a Ford Dealer. Toured the plant several times and it never looked like it was built in 1925, you could never tell because it is kept so nice. Damn foreign cars taking our market share. Only in Ameriaca.

It's a sad time, but I guess that's business. My dad retired out of the St. paul plant in 1981 after 30 years service. I was offered employment there in 1979, when the F150 was going big guns. Thank God I was in vocational school at the time and turned down the tempting offer. It's a shame Ford has to make this decision, but St. Paul was landlocked from any reasonable expansion, plus parts supply logistics were disadvantageous. The hydro-electric dam was a huge advantage that kept the plant afloat for many years, but apparently even that couldn't save it this time.

If the State was really interested in saving the plant they should have looked at the Excelser-Henderson plant in Jordan after it closed. They could sell the Highland land for plenty of cash, and keep the powerplant to sell the energy to Xcel. They wouldn't have fed it straight to the plant but they could have swapped it. There is plenty of land around the plant in Jordan.

As far as RangeRovers contention that the $300 million is sunk costs, that might be the correct phrase but I think it is simply a cute phrase deleved by management to replace poor foresight, or lousy managing.

Just thought I'd let you know that when they announced the closing of Edison Assembly (the other Ranger plant) the state government also got involved offering tax breaks and the like, but Ford had made it's decision already. They also had just previous to the announcement gotten a new plant Manager named Mona Rinehart who affectionately came to be known as Fords "closer" on the shop floor. Ford gave many reasons for that closing all different from supply logistics to Mazda discontinuing the B-Series and since they were the only plant producing the B-Series no more need for Edison Assembly. What happens after they shut the doors? Mona "the closer" transfers to Twin Cities and so does production of the B-Series! Hate to say it guys but the writing was on the wall. I just hope they build this new mega-facility somewhere in the U.S. so everyone will still have a job to go to.Having been through it myself I know what you all are going through and it sucks! I wish you all the best of luck and you'll be in my prayers

Sorry dude, but I have to disagree with what you consider "courage." Courage would be to put bold designs out there and not shrink the business into oblivion- something Junior said would not happen, but is.

Why keep a plant that you just made a $300 million investment in? Because you are going to have to spend that same amount or more to duplicate that technology at another plant.

Not quite. You can recover some of the investment by taking the equipment and installing it in another plant, and RR is absolutely correct about how that works. Large investments are planned years in advance, once they've passed the planning stage you're pretty much obligated to complete them, if only to fufill contractual obligations with contractors and suppliers of equipment, even if you decide the plant needs to be closed. Not a good example, but if you put your money in a stock and it tanks, with practically zero chance of recovering, what do you do? Keep your remaining capital in the stock and hope against hope that it will recover someday? Bottom line is always $$$, the beancounters are always going to pick the plant that has the lowest overall costs current/projected and it is the plant that will stay open. I know it sucks from personal experience, having experienced an almost identical set of circumstances myself back in 1980, but it is what it is, and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

Today is my Mom's funeral but I had to take a moment to say how terribly sorry I was to hear about these 2 plant closings. To all of you who are affected, my prayers are with you & your families. I truly hope that much better things come all your way .

Thank you for all quality hard work.

Bless you all.

MTPwife,

Of all the posts I have read on this board, yours has to be #1.

This woman and her family are going through a very difficult situation and she takes the time to express her concerns about plant closings. Makes you realize what is important.

Sorry for your loss, God Bless you.

Thank you Addeled for your kind words. My dear Mom was a Michigan Truck Wife as well & we care about all our fellow Ford families. If Mom were here now, she'd be so sad & worried over the folks whose plants are closing & worried that Michigan Truck will be next. She was a world class worrier & since most of her children's livelyhood are dependent upon Fords she'd be in rare form. I know in my heart she's fighting with all her might with the powers that be that things get better.

Bless all of you, my prayers are with all of you.