UAW ONE MAN ONE VOTE

the new eye

ITS ABOUT TIME WE SHOULD CHANGE THE WAY WE ELECT OUR LEADERS DOWNTOWN , the complete failure to represent the membership has only made your cause harder , they should be protecting what has been fought for by the members before us , not giving things up without something in return. CONCESSIONS ONLY LEAD TO MORE CONCESSIONS , while our membership suffers the management has not made any sacrifices to help the companies they expect the union to keep giving until theirs nothing left our leadership should lead by example, and stop expecting the members to make all the sacrifices . we need to start makin some noise at the local level to address the memberships concerns .They should not act like they are above us , this is our union and we need to take it back . we should demand that the membership ratify any changes to the contract . this is not a dictatorship or is it ? to all my brothers an sisters out their i urge all to get involved before its to late and theirs nothing left to fight for because when its gone its gone forever trust me on that .

ITS ABOUT TIME WE SHOULD CHANGE THE WAY WE ELECT OUR LEADERS DOWNTOWN , the complete failure to represent the membership has only made your cause harder , they should be protecting what has been fought for by the members before us , not giving things up without something in return. CONCESSIONS ONLY LEAD TO MORE CONCESSIONS , while our membership suffers the management has not made any sacrifices to help the companies they expect the union to keep giving until theirs nothing left our leadership should lead by example, and stop expecting the members to make all the sacrifices . we need to start makin some noise at the local level to address the memberships concerns .They should not act like they are above us , this is our union and we need to take it back . we should demand that the membership ratify any changes to the contract . this is not a dictatorship or is it ? to all my brothers an sisters out their i urge all to get involved before its to late and theirs nothing left to fight for because when its gone its gone forever trust me on that .

Look, I'm pissed off because Gettlefinger and others have NOT made the rounds to stand up for us. We see the senators on every news station telling WHY they hate the UAW and to let GM go bankrupt. We NEVER hear our leadership saying why we need this. All the public sees is the fat white guys in corporate jets. It's time they saw the REAL Ford people.

Yeah, you can start pressuring your local leadership to stand up to the International. Ninty-nine percent will not do it. They talk all their smack with you one-on-one while walking the lines. But when the International comes down to our Locals during contract reopeners and tell the sheep that VEBA and $14.00 an hour is a good contract and will save jobs, those same local reps you speak about stay silent because it will screw their chances at an International appointment, and they do not like the pressure of the head-sticking-out-of-the-foxhole syndrome due to their lack of principle.

Yeah, you can start pressuring your local leadership to stand up to the International. Ninty-nine percent will not do it. They talk all their smack with you one-on-one while walking the lines. But when the International comes down to our Locals during contract reopeners and tell the sheep that VEBA and $14.00 an hour is a good contract and will save jobs, those same local reps you speak about stay silent because it will screw their chances at an International appointment, and they do not like the pressure of the head-sticking-out-of-the-foxhole syndrome due to their lack of principle.

That is so very true. There is a youtube video of the 2007 convention where one easily sees this as the norm. I don't have the url but you can do a search of 'UAW' on youtube and find it. If every union person would see the vids of the 2007 convention, there would be an overwhelming protest for One Man, One Vote. It is well overdue.

That is so very true. There is a youtube video of the 2007 convention where one easily sees this as the norm. I don't have the url but you can do a search of 'UAW' on youtube and find it. If every union person would see the vids of the 2007 convention, there would be an overwhelming protest for One Man, One Vote. It is well overdue.
Have seen that youtube video and your right its a joke but unforturnately its on us , the ones that do speak up are shut down by those appointed reps. the locals need to support each other and keep pressing the issues , we also need to keep the pressure on the locals to stop sucking up to those assholes .

Unfortunely your right , but what i don't understand is how even the locals whose plants are closing don't speak up ,SHAMEFUL to say the least ,but whats even more SHAMEFUL is these same assholes keep getting elected on the local level .WTF

Unfortunely your right , but what i don't understand is how even the locals whose plants are closing don't speak up ,SHAMEFUL to say the least ,but whats even more SHAMEFUL is these same assholes keep getting elected on the local level .WTF

Well, good luck on the upcoming election EYE...

If you win, I hope you will realize that your complaints are the product of slate run locals and that the slate will only serve the slate, not the people they're supposed to be representing.

SOLIDARITY

A lot of the union chairmen at the shut down locals get offered international jobs if they keep their mouth shut and let their plant be shut. I wondered why we never heard one thing from the chairman or president from Atlanta, Norfolk, St. Louis ect... How many of these guys ended up in an international appointed job? One man one vote is the only way the membership is going to get a fair shake from their union.

Since Corker is from Tenn. and Region 8 is located in Tenn. maybe Region 8 should hold their summer school in a state that supported the loans.

A lot of the union chairmen at the shut down locals get offered international jobs if they keep their mouth shut and let their plant be shut. I wondered why we never heard one thing from the chairman or president from Atlanta, Norfolk, St. Louis ect... How many of these guys ended up in an international appointed job? One man one vote is the only way the membership is going to get a fair shake from their union.

Since Corker is from Tenn. and Region 8 is located in Tenn. maybe Region 8 should hold their summer school in a state that supported the loans.

I want to tell you that your statement is bullshit.

Ford closes plants...not the International Union. Do you really think the Union wants to lose membership? Screw it's members?

I know these people....and when the International has no choice but to tell you that you ...as a Plant Chairman...are going to lose your plant....your job....your community and family and schools and home value suffers.......

and then your people/membership....regardless of how hard you fight it with Ford....turn on you...your longtime friends spit in your face...the people you worked so hard for and with call you a traitor...

and these guys stick it out....making sure people get re-located....get benefits...take care of the retirees....basically stick it out and do their job realizing that they still must represent the best interests of their people and see them safely somewhere else until they themselves are the last ones left.

and if...after all that we see them go through...performing admirabley till the end...they do by chance get offered something....why would you continue to berate them?

These were great guys and great leaders.....and it was recognized by their membership who elected them.....don't you think the UAW wouldn't see those same qualities of leadership and potential...and feel some remorse/empathy towards their fallen brother and offer a job if they could?

Such thankless jobs....................I wonder sometimes why anyone wants them.......most IUAW reps live everyday for this union and our members.......lost sleep.......gave up weekends and free time with family...........why doesn't anyone appreciate it...recognize it.

Now I depressed myself.............................

Edited by level

Ford closes plants...not the International Union. Do you really think the Union wants to lose membership? Screw it's members?

I know these people....and when the International has no choice but to tell you that you ...as a Plant Chairman...are going to lose your plant....your job....your community and family and schools and home value suffers.......

and then your people/membership....regardless of how hard you fight it with Ford....turn on you...your longtime friends spit in your face...the people you worked so hard for and with call you a traitor...

and these guys stick it out....making sure people get re-located....get benefits...take care of the retirees....basically stick it out and do their job realizing that they still must represent the best interests of their people and see them safely somewhere else until they themselves are the last ones left.

and if...after all that we see them go through...performing admirabley till the end...they do by chance get offered something....why would you continue to berate them?

These were great guys and great leaders.....and it was recognized by their membership who elected them.....don't you think the UAW wouldn't see those same qualities of leadership and potential...and feel some remorse/empathy towards their fallen brother and offer a job if they could?

Such thankless jobs....................I wonder sometimes why anyone wants them.......most IUAW reps live everyday for this union and our members.......lost sleep.......gave up weekends and free time with family...........why doesn't anyone appreciate it...recognize it.

SO HOWS THE JOB AT INTERNATIONAL TREATING YOU ?

Leave the drama at the door step!!!! I didnt hear a word from the chairman at Atlanta, Norfolk, St. Louis ect..

But Ford is still pumping billions of dollars in Mexico for the Fusion that Atlanta could have built or the new Fiesta that could have been built at any of these plants. If the UAW is giving up concessions why dont they demand the Fusion and Fiesta to be built in the U.S. for these concessions? That would be the only way I could agree to pay or benefit cuts. Job Security!

Leave the drama at the door step!!!! I didnt hear a word from the chairman at Atlanta, Norfolk, St. Louis ect..

But Ford is still pumping billions of dollars in Mexico for the Fusion that Atlanta could have built or the new Fiesta that could have been built at any of these plants. If the UAW is giving up concessions why dont they demand the Fusion and Fiesta to be built in the U.S. for these concessions? That would be the only way I could agree to pay or benefit cuts. Job Security!

I couldnt agree more , thats the problem without GEN they will do whatever they want , chairman and presidents of these locals are a bunch of greedy pieces of shit they get payed no matter what .

I couldnt agree more , thats the problem without GEN they will do whatever they want , chairman and presidents of these locals are a bunch of greedy pieces of shit they get payed no matter what .

Don't you think thats being a little harsh. Mabey these guys are trying and just doing the best they can. then it would be the memberships fault for not electing more qualified people. Just a thought

I was in St.Louis till the end and our Chairman and President fought to keep our plant open. When that fight was lost they still fought to make sure all the members had a chance for a buyout or transfer. I can't speak for the other closed plants but I thought our reps did an excellent job trying to save our plant and then taking care of the members after it closed. If you weren't from one of the closed plants why would you of heard anything from these reps.

I did come from one of the recent closed plants and our local accepted what the international told them. Additionally not one of these closed plants used union money to put an ad in the paper or go on national TV asking for Ford to close its plants in Mexico and keep their plant in the states open. Maybe I am being hard on these guys, I think our reps did the best they could but they were in over their heads and our well paid international staff could have made demands but they didnt because Gettelfingers Louisville plant wasnt being closed or Bob Kings Dearborn plant wasnt on the list so it was ok with them. Now the union is accepting contract cuts without getting any job security in the form of relocation of the work from Mexico. I think what ever cut the membership makes, the international reps should take the same percentage of cuts.

I was in St.Louis till the end and our Chairman and President fought to keep our plant open. When that fight was lost they still fought to make sure all the members had a chance for a buyout or transfer. I can't speak for the other closed plants but I thought our reps did an excellent job trying to save our plant and then taking care of the members after it closed. If you weren't from one of the closed plants why would you of heard anything from these reps.

I thought ST.Louis was still open. Whats up. And how did they fight? Just curious.

I thought ST.Louis was still open. Whats up. And how did they fight? Just curious.

St.Louis has been closed since March of 2006. Our union, local and state gov. reamed up and many trips to Detroit to try and persude Ford to keep the plant open. They offered them incentive packages which included tax breaks and other financial breaks to keep the plant open.

The plant is in the process of being demolished by the deveoper who bought the property.

Edited by rn4

St.Louis has been closed since March of 2006. Our union, local and state gov. reamed up and many trips to Detroit to try and persude Ford to keep the plant open. They offered them incentive packages which included tax breaks and other financial breaks to keep the plant open.

The plant is in the process of being demolished by the deveoper who bought the property.

I cant speak for St. Louis but if our union was fighting so hard why did you keep building vehicles until the last day. Why didnt our union tell Ford to shut down the Fusion plant and bring that work to a U.S. plant?

Why is Ford shutting down St. Paul and spending $3+billion in Mexico to build cars for the U.S. market? What is the UAW doing about that? Maybe the union needs to take a stand and not just cry about the situation. The union gave up JSP and now the company can close all of their U.S. operations if they want and build the vehicles in Mexico because they have no adverse impact laying off U.S. workers. In the 1990's GM was the largest private employer in Mexico. Probably has changed since GM has spun off Delphi but GM could close the assembly plants in Mexico instead of the U.S. It is going to take a strong union to force these companies to do right. The companies have made profits in the U.S. and can again but if American workers do not reap the benefits then why should our tax money bail them out?

It is really up to the membership to get educated on the issues so they can collectively press the internationl reps to do what is right. These guys do what they want because they can get away with it and we have no way to vote them out. This is why we need to educate the rank and file and change our UAW constitution to allow for one man one vote.

We can make this country better for all workers if we stick together and demand not ask for change.

I found this article and thought it was pretty accurate. The article is a little long but union workers need to understand what is happening.

http://labornotes.org/node/254

Great article. Thanks for sharing, I love having all this ammo when debating with anti-union idiots.

What I still cannot get over is the fact that the union nor the media is calling out the Bush administration for sitting on their asses while we were heading for recession. For eight years, economists have said "hey I think we are in, or heading towards a recession", while the administration says "duh... I think the economy is fundamentally sound". If no one has a job then we can not sell automobiles. Thanks a lot Bush for putting the blame on us.

I need to change my screen name because I have gone back to work. That said here is what is wrong with the whole situation. I sat around for 5 months in JSP. I went back to the Sterling Plant 3 weeks ago, They posted the schedule for Christmas shutdown and I am working 8 of the 12 days. Doesn't that say it all!! Seems like mismanagement to me! The UAW takes a lot of crap while management makes decisions like this?!?!