Who will then build the Ranger?

craignorden

From what they told us today, it sounded like Ford wanted to get out of the small truck market. Makes no sense to me, why would a company limit themselves like that? My guess is they are hoping for the Thailand tariff to disappear, and clear the way for those imports. It's a sad day at TCAP. My condolences to everyone affected by the "Way Forward Plan".

The Fusion is selling okay, but it would sell even better if were built here. There are still many buyers, naturally oriented toward the Big Three, who give a rat's ass about their communities and country and buy American. It's sad when the Accord and Camry have better domestic content numbers than the Fusion.

Ford would be wise to build the next Ranger here, and not in Thailand. Pick-up truck buyers are even more likely than car buyers to be civic-minded when purchasing a new vehicle. Please Ford, don't give your loyal American customers the bird by turning the Ford name into a mongrelized badge for imports.

The Ranger is not going to be built anymore. It is being replaced by another vehicle.

They are not getting away from the small truck market. The Ranger is going to change to a new name and could be build along with explorers. Sales are down for the segment and they do need to add capacity to that plant. It was said that DTP might get the new small truck but now since NAP is going to be idled I don't see that happening. I would like to see DTP run like the chrysler(DC) truck plant in Warren Michigan. THey run all 3 types.

Does anyone remember the everest photos?

They are not getting away from the small truck market. The Ranger is going to change to a new name and could be build along with explorers. Sales are down for the segment and they do need to add capacity to that plant. It was said that DTP might get the new small truck but now since NAP is going to be idled I don't see that happening. I would like to see DTP run like the chrysler(DC) truck plant in Warren Michigan. THey run all 3 types.

Does anyone remember the everest photos?

I believe I heard DTP has the capabliltiy to run 6 different vehicles...

I think the next Ranger is likely to be built alongside the Explorer and Sport-Trac probably in LAP. Though we did hear within the last week that LAP doesn't have any product after 2009 BUT right after that we figured out that 2009 is the end of the current Explorer's cycle.

How about adding the new Ranger (or whatever they want to call it) to LAP's production. Explorer, Mountaineer, & Sport Tracs production numbers could be adjusted according to sales. Maybe even add a 3rd production shift if needed. KTP another UAW 862 plant already runs the bonus shift.

After all, LAP is the original home of the Ranger and all production facilities could handle that or a slightly larger vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
It sounds like the Ranger is coming to dearborn

Wrong again it's going to Asia because the Chicken Tax has been lifted and Ford just built a new plant in thailand, furthermore it won't be the ranger anymore either. the F-100, why because it's the only way ford can keep the bragging rights of the F-series being the best selling vehicles in the world once the new Toyota plant starts humming in Texas. All anasyst agree that Ford will loose more share to them then GM. GM is not far behind.