Rebuilding Mercury?

Due to the tough economic times and Ford said a while ago its going to restructure Mercury. I don't know if this is such a good idea right now. I think Mercuries are good looking automobiles but, could you imagine all the cash Ford will be using on Mercury? When Ford needs to use it on its own name rather then Mercury. I'm all for Ford rebuilding Mercury, just not right now, not in times like these. But i say no mater what Ford does, i trust them that they will make the right choices...i hope.

I don't really see where the investment in Mercury moving forward would be any different than it is now. The only major difference, according to the press release on the matter, is that Mercury will now be focusing on smaller cars instead of larger ones. A rebadge is still a rebadge.

Due to the tough economic times and Ford said a while ago its going to restructure Mercury. I don't know if this is such a good idea right now. I think Mercuries are good looking automobiles but, could you imagine all the cash Ford will be using on Mercury? When Ford needs to use it on its own name rather then Mercury. I'm all for Ford rebuilding Mercury, just not right now, not in times like these. But i say no mater what Ford does, i trust them that they will make the right choices...i hope.

I dont agree, it cost nothing to make a mercury, a little advertising and your good to go. They need to already start rebuilding Mercury. I better see something from Mercury in Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont agree, it cost nothing to make a mercury, a little advertising and your good to go. They need to already start rebuilding Mercury. I better see something from Mercury in Chicago.

Mercury is doomed IMHO. The milan is all they really have and eve THAT is ugly now. The fusion is an awesome looking car for 2010. The sable is gone after 09 and the MGM is gone soon as well which leaves the Mountaineer, Mariner, Milan. Is this worth keeping the brand for? Nope.

Mercury is doomed IMHO. The milan is all they really have and eve THAT is ugly now. The fusion is an awesome looking car for 2010. The sable is gone after 09 and the MGM is gone soon as well which leaves the Mountaineer, Mariner, Milan. Is this worth keeping the brand for? Nope.

The brand will likely be receiving at the very least a version of the upcoming new Focus also and possibly something like the C-Max. Axing the large vehicles and replacing them with smaller ones. At least that's the plan they laid out earlier.

The brand will likely be receiving at the very least a version of the upcoming new Focus also and possibly something like the C-Max. Axing the large vehicles and replacing them with smaller ones. At least that's the plan they laid out earlier.

That would be nice but I don't see how it would benefit ford. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

How will a rebuilt Mercury help Ford? First of all, it will keep many loyal Mercury buyers in house. Secondly, it gives L-M dealers some vehicles to sell below $30,000 (thought a production MKC probably cost $25-30,000). It also, if they really follow thru on the "small is beautiful Mercury", it will give Ford a good image to have a small and quirky brand, giving the company a way to sell small cars and crossovers that will be more unique than regular Fords as well as a bit more upscale. To me, a cheap and easy lineup for Mercury could include these vehicles.......the lineup probably wont be this large....at least for a long time until Ford recovers fully, but these are all options.

MERCURY:

-"Mystique": Mercury's version of the Focus, available as a sedan (possible a 5dr as well?) with more upscale front end and rear (ala Milan) than the Ford. Have the same engine lineup but save the ST or SVT engines for Ford. Offer a hybrid as well.

-Milan: Keep on trucking with the current formula, a more upscale, more exclusive version of the Fusion. Though, with the Fusion and Mondeo merging, the Milan could become a 5door notchback, ala one of the Mondeo variants. A wagon could be offered as well? Also, no V6 would be offered, just ecoboost 4's making 180-200hp and 275 hp, as well as a hybrid.

-Cougar: Now, there are several ideas. One is to restyle the next-gen Focus CC as a Cougar. The other is to share a C2 coupe with Euro Ford and brand it here as a Mercury and in Euro as a Puma or Capri. Only I4's and ecoboost I4s, with a 275-300 hp XR7 version. I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW. Many people here will demand a muscle car or large/midsize coupe for a cougar. But look, those markets are saturated or dead or dying. Leave Mustang for the muscle car. Leave a highend coupe/convertible for Lincoln (MK9!!!!!). Mercury can offer Ford a small FWD coupe and convertible with modern dynamics and I4 engines and non-retro styling. I am sorry, but ANY sporty/two door/convertible Mercury HAS to be a COUGAR. That is the name people think of when they think of sporty Mercury. It should stay that way. No other name makes sense. Especially since the last 99 Cougar did have many fans among many people I know and many in my age group.(18-30) Use that goodwill to Mercury's and Ford's future

-Monitor: Since Ford is getting a B-car in the Fiesta, Mercury could get a version of the Euro Fusion/B-MAX, a competitor to the XD, XB, Soul, etc. This would definately give the brand a funky/cool/small image.

-Mariner: I don't see why Mercury couldnt get a new version of the next gen Kuga/Escape, even if Lincoln gets a luxury, all differen sheetmetal and interior version. the Mariner would share I4's and hybrid powerplants with the Milan.

-C-MAX: Personally, I think Ford should offer the next gen C-MAX as the Focus X, but Mercury could very well get it instead to compete with Rondo, 5, Orlando, etc. I really like this kind of car, great for families and inexpensive. This car would make Mercury seem very Euro.

-BUT......

-S-MAX/Galaxy/Monterey: I would like Mercury to offer either the S-MAX or the next-gen Galaxy minivan as a Mercury, giving the brand something Ford does not offer at all. Indeed, the next-gen Galaxy could be given sliding doors to make it more North America friendly. This gives Mercury a cheap to make unique car from Ford, as well as in a market it has abandoned. Yes, the Flex fills that void in many ways, but not all. Put a 275 hp ecoboost I4 as the only engine and watch how many fly off the lots. Lots of people would love a fuel effiecient 7 passenger family hauler. And the current gen Galaxy already looks loads better than any Minivan in the US, so a next-gen Mercury version could look even better.