2007 Expedition cold air intake

eneil

Thanks guys. Any idea if it voids my powertrain warranty?

Hi eneil. :D It will not just automatically "void your Powertarain Warranty".

However, if you have any sort of engine related problem that can be connected/related to the new "open element" air induction system (it is not a true "Cold Air Induction System"), then Ford can and very well will deny that particular claim. That would include but not be limited to MAF sensor problems and other induction tract related problems.

This does not mean that Ford will definitely deny a particular claim. It simply means that they will not pay for a problem that was caused by or can be connected to an aftermarket part.

If necessary, I can copy and paste Ford's precise policy concerning these types of modifications. I just provided the short version.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi eneil. :D It will not just automatically "void your Powertarain Warranty".

However, if you have any sort of engine related problem that can be connected/related to the new "open element" air induction system (it is not a true "Cold Air Induction System"), then Ford can and very well will deny that particular claim. That would include but not be limited to MAF sensor problems and other induction tract related problems.

This does not mean that Ford will definitely deny a particular claim. It simply means that they will not pay for a problem that was caused by or can be connected to an aftermarket part.

If necessary, I can copy and paste Ford's precise policy concerning these types of modifications. I just provided the short version.

There is no such thing that I know of as a real cold air intake. Most are engine compartment ambient temperature intakes.

There is no such thing that I know of as a real cold air intake. Most are engine compartment ambient temperature intakes.

H iBuzz. :D My reply was dealing with the Warranty coverage aspects of "eneil's" question.

However, there is such an animal as a legitimate "Cold Air Intake" (or Cold Air Induction System), but what eneil linked to is not such an animal. And in the great majority of cases, what people are calling a "CAI" is not really a "CAI". So you and I basically agree.

And I agree with you that that any intake that simply pulls in air from underneath the hood is not a CAI and is only pulling in engine compartment air (which certainly is not cold).

You called it an "engine compartment ambient temperature intake". I called it an "open element air induction system". Either way, an open element air filter positioned at the top of the engine bay, whether surrounded on several sides or not, is still only pulling in warm engine bay air.

I am not sure how you were interpreting what I had stated, but I thought I would make that clear that I clearly meant that it was not a "Cold Air Intake".

Okay, I will cease hijacking eneils thread and return it to the regularly scheduled programming. :blah:

Edited by bbf2530

Actually, I thought I would route my air conditioner vents directly to the intake so that I could have a true cold air intake. In the winter, I will turn my heater on so the air going in the engine intake is warm and the engine will warm up faster.

I can't believe I am the first one to think of this. I am a genius.

My Mustang's CAI gets it's air from the fenderwell, not the engine compartment.

As for warranty problems, I can only really think of one problem you would really run into, and I've seen it happen on my buddy's car, and on a Subaru my dealership sold that was equipped with a CAI. Both people had warranties voided due to hydrolocking. My buddy drove through a deep puddle during a heavy downpour, and because the factory airbox was removed and replaced with an open element filter, the car got a gulp of water. Same story with the Subaru. Now both of these CAIs were "low mounted" units, which make them more prone than a filter that sits in the factory position. Notice the airbox on the 2010 Mustang's "CAI" system. It protects the filter from water. This is a pretty freakish occurance, but it's the only time I have seen a warranty issue with a cold air intake. As long as the filter sits up high, though, you should have no problems, and I highly recommend one. It's not often an inexpensive part can give you more power, better mileage, less wear on the engine, and lower long term maintenence. Highly recommended!!!

H iBuzz. :D My reply was dealing with the Warranty coverage aspects of "eneil's" question.

However, there is such an animal as a legitimate "Cold Air Intake" (or Cold Air Induction System), but what eneil linked to is not such an animal. And in the great majority of cases, what people are calling a "CAI" is not really a "CAI". So you and I basically agree.

And I agree with you that that any intake that simply pulls in air from underneath the hood is not a CAI and is only pulling in engine compartment air (which certainly is not cold).

You called it an "engine compartment ambient temperature intake". I called it an "open element air induction system". Either way, an open element air filter positioned at the top of the engine bay, whether surrounded on several sides or not, is still only pulling in warm engine bay air.

I am not sure how you were interpreting what I had stated, but I thought I would make that clear that I clearly meant that it was not a "Cold Air Intake".

Okay, I will cease hijacking eneils thread and return it to the regularly scheduled programming. :blah:

I agree with you 100%. I was being a smart alec about the fact that most of the intakes simply pull air from the engine compartment yet still are called 'cold' air intakes.

Has anyone installed a cold air intake, such as the one offered by K&N. http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=1162

They claim an increase of up to 11.2 hp and a little more growl to the engine. Does this void the powertrain warranty? Has anyone installed one and what has been the difference in sound and performance?

Thanks!

Don't wast your money on that piece of crap. I tried it when i got my 07. It made the engine so loud that you couldnt even hear the radio inside, much less talk on the cell phone or to a passenger. I even sent mine back after a month of using it to K&N and told them it was a piece, they explained that you will get more growl.....I have had a full cai on all my vehicles i have owned and none of them had this type of growl. Anytime you have your foot on the accelerator this series intake puts off a loud almost vibration sound. I checked all connections and it they were sound. Personally i think it is just a poor design for the expedition. I havent seen any other options though for our truck. I wish volant or someone else other than K&N would create a closed intake with a cone filter, as they have worked well for me in the past.

I am currently using a flat K&N replacement filter instead, basically just so I dont have to throw away 25 bucks every other oil change.